Severus Snape Chosen as Favorite Harry Potter Character via Bloomsbury Poll

Books
Posted by: Edward
August 30, 2011, 11:25 AM

As readers will recall, Bloomsbury, the UK publishers of the Harry Potter novels, asked fans of the series to vote for their favorite character from author J. K. Rowling's series.  Voting concluded late last week and the results are in: Severus Snape was voted as the favorite character form the Harry Potter novels.  Hermione Granger came in at second place, with Sirus Black and Harry Potter, himself, in the third and forth slots, respectively.  A press release reads:

The vote was launched in May 2011 and received over 70,000 votes. Severus Snape gained 20% of those votes (just under 13,000) making him a clear winner. Severus Snape has appeared in all seven of the Harry Potter novels and came to be an integral part of Harry Potter’s life.
Hermione Granger took second place and Sirius Black third. Harry himself came in fourth and Lord Voldemort just made the top twenty at number 17. Dobby is the only non-human character to make the top ten and another Slytherin, Draco Malfoy, completes the top characters in tenth place. The top ten is below:
  1. Severus Snape
  2. Hermione Granger
  3. Sirius Black
  4. Harry Potter
  5. Ron Weasley
  6. Luna Lovegood
  7. Ginny Weasley
  8. Albus Dumbledore
  9. Dobby
  10. Draco Malfoy
Voters could also suggest their own favourite characters outside of the 40 and of these Oliver Wood was the most popular. Fang, Hagrid’s dog, and the Fat Lady in the portrait at the entrance to Gryffindor gained the least votes with only one each!
The full list of all forty can be found below:
The Top 40
38.Vincent Crabbe
39.Gregory Goyle
40.Cornelius Fudge

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Books News

Yay for Snape!

Posted by badger666 on August 31, 2011, 07:33 PM report to moderator

I wish Oliver would have made it to the top 40.

Posted by AnaLuisa on August 31, 2011, 08:35 PM report to moderator
43_2__thumb

my top 10 is like this :1.Draco 2.Dumbledor 3.Snape 4.Hermione 5.Fred 6.Goerge 7.Narssica 8.Cedric Diggory 9.Tom Riddle 10.Nevil

Posted by negar malfoy on September 01, 2011, 08:47 AM report to moderator
43_2__thumb

DOBBY is BEFORE Draco???? i’m not agree with this voting!
AHHH! and prophessor Dumbledor should be in the third or at least 4th place! THAT"S RUBBISH!!!

Posted by negar malfoy on September 01, 2011, 08:54 AM report to moderator
A_mouse_digital_painting__anahita_____the_other_me___by_aty_s_behsam-d5p8l5n_thumb

WHHAAHHH?!??!
HARRY SHOULD BE #1! WHAT THE HELL?! D:

Posted by Maxtina Potter (Aty) on September 01, 2011, 10:30 AM report to moderator
Petunia2_thumb

Ron is 5, oh well. lol

Posted by Mad But Happy on September 01, 2011, 12:29 PM report to moderator
Believe_in_yourself_thumb

I wonder how many voters have based their “favorites” on the movies instead of the book. I mean, I think Jason Isaacs is great, but that does not make Lucius Malfoy one of my favorites characters. I agree with the people who said that Harry should be no. 1. Dumbledore is awesome, too, and most certainly has the depth Snape does. As a character, Snape is created extremely well. (All the characters are! And that includes Umbridge and Skeeter). But he is still not in my “favorites” list. A teacher who hardly deserves the title, because the way he has treated pupils like Hermione and Neville (I’m not mentioning Harry, because apparently Snape ‘saw’ James in him, and he had not grown out of his childhood traumas, which is kind of understandable.) Mr Rickman is a great actor, and, as said, in the movies and the books Snape is great as a character we love to hate, and to see his reasons and his painfull secret, to see where many of his frustrations came from. Sorry, talking too long.
Anyway, I think Neville deserves so much better. If Snape redeemed himself in book 7, then even more so, book 7 showed that Neville could have been the “Chosen One”, if Voldemort had marked him instead of Harry.
The funny thing is, I wrote a story once for a competition in which you had to write the “end of Harry Potter” and this was before book 5 came out, I had Harry die (I know, sorry) and Neville become a hero and actually ending up with Ginny. My other story in which Harry survived, and Neville played a very small part, was the one that won. Still, I thought it was great when Neville proved to be more of a hero (and a contender to kill Voldemort) and not just a funny whimp, later :o)
Right, this post has gone on way too long. I won’t go into the others on the list.

Posted by Tarana on September 01, 2011, 06:18 PM report to moderator

^ COMPLETELY AGREE.

Posted by Maxtina Potter (Aty) on September 02, 2011, 11:07 AM report to moderator

I don’t care if Snape has depth as a character, he was nothing more than a bully. The way he treated students was despicable. I don’t care if he was instrumental in saving Harry, I can’t stand such a loathsome and dirty personality for a character in a book nor a person in real life.

How about up voting someone with decency? Such a shame. It’s so cliche to love Snape. He may have loved Lily, but he treated her like crap. I wouldn’t have stood for that nonsense either.

Posted by JeanJamesBilius on September 02, 2011, 08:08 PM report to moderator
Neville_god_pic_thumb

Snape, rockin’ the votes! Today I saw this girl with a shirt that said “Keep Calm, Trust Snape”. It was sweet!

I find Luna and Hermione to be my favorite characters in the series. They both are a little like me, though mostly Luna is shown in me. She’s quirky and strange, like me, but still fun. Hermione is really brainy and intelligent, like me, but she still knows when to have fun (mostly shown after year 4).

Pleased to see who came in the Top Ten, I love to see what characters are the best in their opinions!

Posted by Tanderule on September 03, 2011, 12:15 AM report to moderator

Luna <3 <3

Posted by Sapphire_King on September 04, 2011, 04:18 PM report to moderator
Wand_thumb

Hmmmmm. I disagree with some of them, but mostly I agree!

Posted by #1 Witch ROAR! on September 05, 2011, 11:46 AM report to moderator

I’m kind of surprised that Fred was 13. I loved him too, but the twins were so single-faceted, so I never really thought too much about him until he died and I don’t think anyone else did either.

Posted by OrWorseExpelled1 on September 11, 2011, 03:35 PM report to moderator

Harry could see him itching to go and examine the television and the video recorder.[br]"They run off eckeltricity, do they?" he said knowledgeably. "Ah, yes, I can see the plugs. I collect plugs," he added to Uncle Vernon. "And batteries. Got a very larg

Issue 28 - Apr. 2014