Jamie Campbell Bower on Young Grindelwald in Deathly Hallows Part One: "He's very bird-like."

DH Film
September 10, 2009, 12:58 PM

Actor Jamie Campbell Bower has given a new interview where he discusses his character of the young Gellert Grindelwald in the upcoming Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. In this article with MTV, Jamie says that the character appears in part one, and is indeed a "flashback character." He speaks of the young wizard who would later go on to play a pivotal role in the quest for the Elder Wand and describes the character:

"I play Gellert Grindelwald, who is an old friend of Dumbledore's," explained the 21-year-old actor. "It's a flashback character, which is good fun. I did a little bit before I went off and did 'New Moon.'" "No, I'm just doing number one," he answered when we asked if Grindelwald was scheduled to be in both halves of the split-for-the-cinema-sequels made from J.K. Rowling's "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows" novel. "Thus far, I mean. I haven't seen the script for the second one; I don't think anyone has seen the script for the second one."

As for the look of Gellert, the actor revealed: "We're pretty much keeping it straight; the costume is fantastic — we had this idea that he's very bird-like. He's described in the book as almost looking like a crow or something like that, and we [latched] onto that; I have a nice jacket which makes me look cool."

In fact, Jamie told us, if you look closely at Grindelwald's appearance when the first half of "Deathly Hallows" hits theaters in November 2010, you'll see hints of his bird motif. "It doesn't have wings or anything; it's just the way that it's cut. It's very subtle," he explained. "But, as is true with a lot of things in film, if you know what the intention is and the background of it, then you can recognize it — but if you're not really watching or paying any attention, then you'll miss it."

As TLC first reported last May, the part of young Dumbledore has indeed been cast with the part going to young actor Toby Regbo. One final casting note courtesy of SS: The part of Hermione's father has now been cast, with Ian Kelly to take on the part. Back in March we learned that actress Michelle Fairley had been cast as Mrs. Granger.

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent DH Film News

Normal_movies_officialimages_lunaspectre_001_thumb

I do not remember any bird references from the book. I guess this calls for a re-read! Yay!

Posted by HPHealer on September 10, 2009, 06:38 PM report to moderator
Muggle_origins_logo_thumb

I’m guessing, with the whole diadem thing, that they’ll just make something up that they find clever…like they did for Dumbledore’s death in the 6th film. But you know, whatever, the movie itself was good, Half Blood Prince I mean. I just wish they had kept in some of the things they took out. Also, I don’t know why, but I always liked the aspect of Hermione and Ron being prefects and Harry being confused why he wasn’t chosen as one during the 5th book…so I think they should’ve kept that in the fifth movie…but its in the 6th movie as well. It is very good news that they will have memories of Grindelwald and all of that!

Posted by Muggle Origins on September 10, 2009, 06:38 PM report to moderator
Capture10_thumb

i cant wait. they finally cast mr. granger. i was wondering about that because of mrs. granger had already been cast. i bet jamie makes a great grindelwald. i cant wait!!!!!

Posted by Gryffindor1991 {ROAR!!!} on September 10, 2009, 06:38 PM report to moderator
Bridget_blondehandpg_thumb

DO i have amnesia here? when the heck does Grindelwald resemble a bird? have I lost my mind? I think he would be a good choice as far as his boyish looks pertaining to Grindelwald? BUT a bird?!?

Posted by bamatron on September 10, 2009, 06:42 PM report to moderator
Mac3_thumb
1925 Points

Not sure what i think about making that charater look like a bird.

Posted by Parkinsonpansy on September 10, 2009, 07:53 PM report to moderator

He looks perfect for young Grindelwald!

Posted by Deb25 on September 10, 2009, 07:55 PM report to moderator
The_one__colored_by_burdge_bug_thumb

at least he’s pretty keen on his character even though it’s a very small role.

Posted by Luce-Lupin !~ROAR~! on September 10, 2009, 08:01 PM report to moderator
Dgraymanclockroom37_thumb

@ MischiefManaged: Hey, I just thought, you know how Harry asks if anyone seen a Diadem in the RoR, Ginny said Luna would take him to the Ravenclaw Common Room (something I’m almost positive they’re going to cut out) Ginny’ll probably say she saw a thing that looked like a Diadem in the RoR, but that would cut out the Grey Lady seen…I have a feeling Steve Kloves doesn’t like Ravenclaw…

I don’t like Jamie Campbell Bower that much, he’s cool and all but the Twilight roll made me want to gag…he can pick better parts. But I do agree he was a good choice for the part, I loved him in Sweeney Todd. :)

I mean I should’ve seen that DD was gay, but no I must be as slow as a Turtle on Dial-up. :P

Posted by Rumbleroarϟ{WBM!}ǝıʞɔnp! on September 10, 2009, 08:06 PM report to moderator
My-school_thumb

he is is quite the looker isn’t he!!! The picture of him made me catch my breath!! :) as for the trouble with the memories and the identification of horcruxes. oh my mind buggles… I really don’t know how they are going to do it and i really don’t understand why they changed it!!!!

Posted by Cindy Potter on September 10, 2009, 08:18 PM report to moderator

Checked out Ian Kelly’s page…love that poster!

Posted by Dawna on September 10, 2009, 08:29 PM report to moderator
My-school_thumb

I believe the bird like reference reffered to the description of Krum and not Grindelwald. I could be wrong but that is what I remember.

Posted by Cindy Potter on September 10, 2009, 08:43 PM report to moderator
134_thumb

~loved him in sweeney todd!!! <3

Posted by VictoireWeasley28 on September 10, 2009, 08:59 PM report to moderator
Th_puff6_thumb

Well he sure sounds excited to be involved…
hopefully he’ll be good :)

Posted by Hufflepuffqueenxo [OTC!] on September 10, 2009, 09:06 PM report to moderator
Images_4__thumb

Can’t wait to see his costume. The Grangers are going to be in it!?!?!?

Posted by crazyforSeverus on September 10, 2009, 09:30 PM report to moderator
Black_wolf_thumb

wow! he looks just like i thought grindelwald would!:D

Posted by lightningwolf[ROAR!] on September 10, 2009, 09:32 PM report to moderator

Issue 28 - Aug. 2014

"Half an inch of skin and sinew holding my neck on, Harry! Most people would think that's good and beheaded, but oh, no, it's not enough for Sir Properly Decapitated-Podmore."