Mrs. Granger Cast for Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

DH Film
March 04, 2009, 11:40 AM

Here is a bit of good news now to brighten up the day: the part of Mrs. Granger (the mother of Hermione) has been cast for Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. The Coleraine Times reports that Michelle Fairley has been cast "to play the part of Mrs Granger, a Muggle dentist and the mother of Hermione Granger, one of Harry's two best friends, played by Emma Watson." Michelle Fairley says of the part: "It's not a very large part, maybe three or four scenes which will take just a few days filming. But it's very nice indeed for me." Editor's Note: Readers will recall that in Deathly Hallows, Hermione, in order to save her parents from the Death Eaters, modified the memories of her parents, gave them new names, and sent them off to Australia.

The actress, who is currently doing stage work in England, goes on to describe some early hurdles she had to overcome to get the part. Quotage: "They wanted to do shooting for the film on the press day for the play I'm in at the Old Vic which meant me being in the theatre all day. So, initially I couldn't do it.
"So it looked as if the part was gone until the director came back and said that he wanted me for the part. They have now arranged new dates for the shooting which will take a couple of days.

"I'm delighted as I've a lot of friends and family and their children who all love Harry Potter, so it's lovely to be involved.
"I've never seen any of the Harry Potter movies or read any of the books," admitted Michelle, who now plans to watch the films and read the books in preparation for her part.

Filming is underway on both parts of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, with Part One due November of 2010, and Part Two due July, 2011.

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent DH Film News

Justin_and_lillie_thumb

Well done to her!! I thknk she will do good. Im auditiong for the younger Lily Evans in memorys.

Posted by Lilliekatieinnes on March 04, 2009, 11:45 AM report to moderator

Okay, this is the kind of thing that doesn’t make sense to me. With all the characters they’re cutting, why are they casting Hermione’s MOTHER? I mean, let’s cut out Bill and Fleur’s wedding, but we can’t make this movie without Hermione’s parents! And this is funny— “who now plans to watch the films and read the books in preparation for her part.” — Her character is never even shown!

Posted by julvett on March 04, 2009, 11:48 AM report to moderator
40320resize_thumb

Weren’t they only mentioned in the book? Odd…

Posted by Athena ★ROAR!★ on March 04, 2009, 11:49 AM report to moderator
Sdc10002_thumb

I agree with that it seems odd to cast for this particular character. I don’t believe we’ve never actually seen Hermione’s parents except at the beginning of “Chamber of Secrets”. Why cast them now? I’m happy for any actor who has the opportunity to work, but now I feel if they’re ADDING scenes, they’ll have to find another place to DELETE some.

Posted by julisara on March 04, 2009, 11:53 AM report to moderator
Burtondeppavvie_thumb

Ooh that’s cool :D I imagine it will be a very small part, but we might get a little glimpse of Australia in the film? That could be exciting heh.

I’m glad Hermione’s parents are finally getting a mention, in the books she might as well be an orphan too lol.

Posted by Linnyish on March 04, 2009, 11:54 AM report to moderator

Yeah, it’s odd. But… I also think that it is – kind of exciting..

Posted by Mairéad on March 04, 2009, 11:55 AM report to moderator
Burtondeppavvie_thumb

I don’t think that there will be new scenes as such, but it’s just another loose end to tie up.

Posted by Linnyish on March 04, 2009, 11:55 AM report to moderator
Photo_95_thumb

that’s cool that they’re including her parents. it’s weird that they’re keeping this little detail when they’re cutting out others though…

Posted by vomit on March 04, 2009, 11:56 AM report to moderator
Cimg0309_thumb

It may not be that odd as we’re making it out to be. Hermione is obviously upset about her parents – maybe this is some sort of scene to visually show what she had to do? I think that whole scene would be more emotional if we got to see it as Hermione explains instead of just listening to the story. I just think this is one of those points where something in the book (Hermione talking) simply doesn’t transfer as well in it’s original form.

Posted by Sash1113 on March 04, 2009, 12:01 PM report to moderator
Img000029_thumb

I’m excited to see what they’re going to do with this character. Are they casting a Mr. Granger too?

Posted by omgitslouise [WBM] [Ravenvlog <3's Me] on March 04, 2009, 12:02 PM report to moderator
Dailyboothedit_thumb
1964 Points

Well I sure hope we see more of Lupin then since he’s actually in the book and not just mentioned….weird they are about this stuff. doesnt make much sense. but I guess she wont have much reading to do to get herself ready for the part.

Posted by VioletPhoenix*ROAR* on March 04, 2009, 12:08 PM report to moderator
1275966643360_thumb

It’s cute that they’re putting her in, but it’ll be weird. We don’t know anything about “Wanda” except that she’s a dentists. I much rather would have seen Bill and Fleur’s wedding, even if it was a little snippet.

Long live claymation DH! Haha

Posted by on March 04, 2009, 12:08 PM report to moderator
Johnb_thumb

OMG She is going to read the books and watch the movies in preparation for the roll, {INSERT CAP LOCKS MOLLY HERE} WHERE WILL HER CHARACTER CREATIVITY COME FROM??

On a more somber not, this is quite odd, if I remember correctly her parents never appear in any book, but CoS, where did they appear in DH.

JohnB

Posted by JohnB on March 04, 2009, 12:08 PM report to moderator
Limebat1_thumb

I love the fact that they so want someone to play a certain part that they are prepared to reschedule shooting. Cements the fact that these films are made with a whole lot of love.

AND she intends to make thorough preparations for this job, which pleases me to no end! Very good attitude, I think :)

Posted by Isabell |OoM4| |*Squee!*| on March 04, 2009, 12:12 PM report to moderator
Dd_thumb

It still amazes me that there are people who have managed to avoid any exposure to the books and movies… they must truly live in a world apart… they’re like the real life equivalent of a muggle!

Posted by VermontWizard on March 04, 2009, 12:12 PM report to moderator

Disgusted that the Slytherins had lost, he had tried to get everyone laughing at how a wide-mouthed tree frog would be replacing Harry as Seeker next.