Revision as of 17:32, 30 June 2011 by Doris
Below is a list of known spells in the Wizarding World and a brief explanation of what the spell does.
- Accio - This spell is used to summon objects.
- Aguamenti - This is used to send a fountain/jet of water from the tip of the wand.
- Alohomora - This is used to open closed/locked objects.
- Avada Kedavra - This curse is one of the Unforgivable curses. It sends out a jet of green light which kills the target immediately.
- Aparecium - This is used to make invisible ink appear.
- Anapneo - This will clears the target's airway if it is blocked.
- Anti-Cheating Spell - You can cast this on parchment or quills to stop the writer from cheating whilst writing down the answers.
- Anti-Disapparition Jinx - This is used to stop Disapparition and/or Apparition in an area for a while. It can be used to prevent an enemy from entering a defended area, or used to trap them in the area.
- Antonin Dolohov's Curse - This curse causes serious injury, with a flash of purple light, to the inside of the body only. No symptoms are shown on the outside of the body.
- Arresto Momentum-This is used to slow down an object falling at a rapid speed.
- Avis - This charm is used to conjure a flock of birds from the caster's wand. It can be used offensively when it's coupled with Oppugno.
- Babbling Curse - The Babbling curse, though not fully understood, makes people babble.
- Banishing Charm - This is the opposite of 'Accio,' and it banishes an object.
- Bat-Bogey Hex - This hex enlarges the target's bogeys, giving them wings, and making them attack a target.
- Bedazzling Hex - This Hex can be used to conceal someone or something and is often used for invisibility cloaks.
- Bubble-Head Charm - This charm puts a large bubble of air around the head of the caster and is the magical equal of a scuba set.
- Crucio - Also known as the Cruciatus Curse, this is one of the three Unforgivable Curses that is used to torture people.
- Confundus - a spell to confuse a person's mind and may cause them to lose their memory.
- Caterwauling Charm- When an unauthorized person enters the target area while the effect is running, a caterwauling noise will be set off.
- Cave Inimicum- a defensive spell to keep enemies away.
- Colloportus- a spell that seals a door, makes an odd squelching noise.
- Confringo- a spell that causes a target to explode.
- Diffindo - a spell that causes objects to split apart.
- Defodio- a spell that digs through or hollows out a target.
- Deprimo- a spell that blasts a hole through a target.
- Descendo- a spell that causes something to descend or lower itself.
- Disillusionment Charm- a charm that hides the true, magical nature of something.
- Dissendium- a spell that opens the secret door near the statue of the humped-back witch.
- Drought Charm- a charm that dries up water.
- Duro- turns the target object into stone.
- Expecto Patronum - a spell to counter the effects of a dementor, this acts as a shield against the draining effects of dementors, which feed on the happiness and hope of the wizard. If powerful enough, creates a non-human incarnation of the witch or wizard who conjured it. This spell has also been used for communication, notably by the Order of the Phoenix.
- Expelliarmus - the disarming spell.
- Evanesco - vanishing spell.
- Engorgio- a spell that makes things grow.
- Episkey- a spell that heals/repairs damage on someone.
- Erecto- a spell used to erect or set things up.
- Expulso- a spell that blows up a target.
- Extension Charm- a charm that extends the internal dimension of an object without extending the exterior dimensions, also know as Undetectable Extension Charm.
- Extinguishing Spell- a spell that puts out fires.
- Fidelius Charm - a spell that disguises a location that cannot be revealed by anyone except the one made Secret Keeper.
- Finite Incantatem - a spell that cancels out other spells.
- Fiendfyre - a spell that creates cursed fire.
- Flagrante Curse- a curse that causes an object to burn anyone who touches it.
- Geminio- a spell that duplicates an object.
- Geminio Curse- a curse that causes an object to duplicate and multiply when touched, but the duplicates are worthless.
- Glisseo- a spell that makes an object into a smooth slide.
- Gripping Charm- a charm that secures one's grip on an object.
- Homenum Revelio- a spell that would reveal human presence in a target area.
- Hover Charm- a charm that makes an object hover in the air.
- Hurling Hex- a hex typically placed on a broom that would make the broom try to hurl the rider off of it.
- Incendio - a spell that starts a fire.
- Impedimenta - a spell used to slow down attackers.
- Imperio - otherwise known as the Imperius Curse is one of the three Unforgivable Curses and is used to control someone or something.
- Incarcerous- a spell that makes ropes appear to wrap someone up.
- Jelly Legs Jinx- a jinx that causes a target's legs to wobble uncontrollably.
- Langlock- a jinx that glues the target's tongue to the top of his or her mouth.
- Legilimens- a spell that allows the caster the ability to read the target's mind.
- Locomotor- a spell that moves an object. Typically it is followed by the name of the object to be moved.
- Locomotor Mortis- a spell that locks together the legs of the victim.
- Lumos - a spell that causes the end of the wand to light up.
- Levicorpus - a spell that suspends someone in midair.
- Meteolojinx Recanto- a spell that halts another spell that is causing rain.
- Mobiliarbus- a spell that moves a tree.
- Mobilicorpus- a spell that moves a person's body.
- Muffliato- a spell that fills the ears of anybody in the vicinity of the caster with an unidentifiable buzzing noise so that the caster can hold lengthy conversations without being overheard.
- Oppugno- a spell that makes conjured creatures attack on the command of the conjurer.
- Obliteration Charm- a spell that removes tracks left by someone.
- Obliviate- a spell that modifies or erases parts of a person's memory.
- Obscuro- a spell that block's someone's vision.
- Occlumency- a branch of magic not taught at Hogwarts that attempts to protect one's mind against outside intrusion.
- Orchideous- a spell that conjures flowers out of the end of one's wand.
- Petrficus Totalus- a spell that turns the entire body of the victim rigid.
- Piertotum Locomotor- a variation on the locomotor spell that is used to animate the statues and armor of Hogwarts.
- Portus- a spell that turns an object into a portkey.
- Protean Charm- a complex spell used to make something change its form.
- Protego- a spell that creates a magical barrier that will deflect hexes thrown at caster, acts as a shield.
- Quietus- a spell that reverses the effect of Sonorus, which makes the caster's voice normal in volume.
- Reducto- a spell that blasts solid objects out of the caster's path.
- Relashio- a spell that releases a jet of fiery sparks.
- Rennervate- a spell used to revive a person who has been hit by a stunner.
- Reparo- a spell that undoes damage to an object.
- Repello- a spell that keeps something away from the caster.
- Repello Muggletum- a spell that keeps muggles away from a target place.
- Revulsion Jinx- a spell that forces the target to back off from the caster.
- Rictusempra- a spell that causes the person to laugh uncontrollably.
- Stupefy- a spell used to make someone unconscious.
- Sectumsempra- a spell used to seriously cut another person for enemies.
- Sonorous- a spell used to magnify a voice like a loudspeaker.
- Serpensortia- a spell used to make snakes appear.
- Silencio- a spell used to silence.
- Scourgify- a spell that cleans things.
- Salvio Hexia- specific effect is not given, but it possibly affects and augments other spell being cast.
- Specialis Revelio- a spell used to identify ingredients of a potion or enchantments of an object.
- Tarantallegra - Makes the victims legs dance uncontrollably.
- Tergeo - Cleans a surface or person vigorously.
- Taboo- when put on a word anyone instantly becomes trackable by the caster, saying the word breaks protective enchantments and causes a magical disturbance.
- Thief's Downfall- a waterfall set over the tracks at Gringotts that washes away all enchantments and magical concealment.
- Togue-Tying Curse- binds a target's tongue to keep him or her from talking about some specific subject.
- Trace, the- a charm that detects magical ability around under-seventeens.
- Unbreakable Vow - A magical oath that, if broken, kills the maker.
- Unforgivable Curses - Three deadly curses, illegal under Wizarding Law.
- Vanishing Spell- a spell that makes an object vanish. See Evanesco.
- Verdimillious- a spell that shoots green sparks from the end of a wand.
- Vipera Evenenesca - Counter spell for Serpensortia.
- Vulnara Sanatur- Snape uses this to cure Draco Malfoy's wounds.
- Waddiwassi - Only known use of it - Fires chewing gum out of a key hole.
- Wingardium Leviosa- a spell used to levitate objects.