LeakyNews.com

J. K. Rowling Says No Harry Potter Prequel

J.K. Rowling
Posted by: Mel
March 09, 2013, 01:33 AM

J. K. Rowling appeared at the Bath Literature Festival yesterday and announced that she has no plans to write a Harry Potter prequel. Specifically, she had no plans to write a story concerning the Marauders:

Rowling, speaking at the Independent Bath Literature Festival last night, said she was not planning to return to the story of the "Marauders" – who attended her fictional Hogwarts School of Witchcraft before Harry Potter – because she didn't think much of prequels. "I'm never going to say never but I have no current plans. I think prequels are not generally very successful," she said.

Via Hypable (which can be read in full here), Rowling also mentioned:
Grindelwald never loved Dumbledore and used him.
Her next book will be aimed at 8-year-olds, but she’s still busy writing it.

You can read more about Rowling's appearance the Festival here.

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent News
Follow @Leaky on Twitter

Hogshead_thumb

In the article she says of her writing habits that she can write while riding in the passenger seat of their car with three kids and a dog in the back! What a fun image of her. I do so admire this brilliant, brilliant woman, and wish I could have been in the audience at Bath (a long way from California, unfortunately).

Posted by PollyC on March 09, 2013, 03:16 AM report to moderator
Royaltyofnarniaavie3_thumb

“I think prequels are not generally very successful” That doesn’t seem like something she would say, or then I hope she means that she thinks her story won’t be as good as the others. Because it doesn’t really matter if it’s succesful or not… :( I’ve always been secretly hoping for a prequel, because the chances on a book about the children seems even less plausible to me. Oh well, I’ll just sit here and wait for the “Scottish book”! Shhh, I know about Pottermore, I need just need some hope :)

Posted by lollifant on March 09, 2013, 03:19 AM report to moderator
Royaltyofnarniaavie3_thumb

PollyC, I didn’t see the article at first, thanks. I love the last lines too "Now, juggling novel writing with three children and a husband, she said she craved the enforced solitude that the job requires. “One of my children said ‘if it was us or the books?’. I said ‘you, but I would be really grumpy’.” :) She’s so happy :)

Posted by lollifant on March 09, 2013, 03:31 AM report to moderator
Severus_x_2_thumb

What would be the point of a ‘prequel’ about the Marauders? We know how that story ended. Perhaps a story about some other age of the Wizarding World – such as the Era of the Founders, as some have suggested – would be good – a sort of HP Silmarillion!

Posted by Valeria-Johanna on March 09, 2013, 08:33 AM report to moderator
Img57_thumb
2096 Points

I hope she meant speciffically about the Marauders because she has hinted too many times in too many places about writing about the pre-Harry magical world. Idk, I feel kind of slapped by this, unless she did mean only the Marauders. She should never have hinted and given us hope unless she really meant to follow through because she knows how our hearts are in this world she created. :(

Posted by RABBIT: Lilly Mimsy Whyte =:) on March 09, 2013, 09:06 AM report to moderator
Got-hogwarts_houses_thumb

I don’t see already knowing the outcome as a reason not to hope for more ‘meat’ and detail about the Marauders. That would interest me more than going forward with the Trio’s kids at Hogwarts, whose possible exploits strike me as small potatoes once the Death Eaters are broken. But there’s lots of other wizarding history besides the Marauder years that would bear exploration, for sure! The Founders, as V-J suggests; the Goblin Rebellion years; the Peverells; medieval alchemists – the possibilities are endless, really.

Posted by WeenyOwl {The Human Deluminator} on March 09, 2013, 10:22 AM report to moderator
Naughty_galaxy_thumb

Although it might be nice to know more about various characters I’d rather we learnt it in an encylopaedia than in a new novel. I feel that the 7 novels that make up the story of Harry Potter have a wonderful complete feeling. I’d rather see Jo write all sorts of other things, whatever interests her, she doesn’t owe us anything, she created the world we love, we owe her our thanks.

Posted by moglet [ITC!] on March 09, 2013, 01:04 PM report to moderator
Raven_avatar_thumb

I would love to read the whole story of the giant squid…

Posted by Won_Two on March 09, 2013, 09:10 PM report to moderator
Petunia2_thumb

I think at this point, she’s more likely to put additional info about characters and the HP world on Pottermore… which I don’t mind. She has been saying for years that she has no plans to make more HP books, and so I have not been hoping for one or thought much about it. But that’s just me, I suppose.

Posted by Mad But Happy on March 09, 2013, 09:39 PM report to moderator
Hogshead_thumb

Every time I see your “No Sea Gulls” avatar, Won_Two, I know I’ll be reading something to make me laugh!! And I do appreciate a good laugh. Really, and I mean this, you’re a very clever guy. ;-)

Posted by PollyC on March 09, 2013, 09:41 PM report to moderator
Imagescad1mlxa_thumb

First Harry Potter, then an adult novel.Now a book for eight year olds…what?

Posted by muggle..andproudofit =:) on March 09, 2013, 10:28 PM report to moderator
Naughty_galaxy_thumb

It proves that Jo is versatile, and you can’t say that about all authors.

@Won, very funny :-)

Posted by moglet [ITC!] on March 10, 2013, 10:04 AM report to moderator
Got-hogwarts_houses_thumb

If JKR doesn’t want to revisit the wizarding world herself, I would love it if she would do what Marion Zimmer Bradley did for her fandom: allow her publishers to bring out an annual volume of the very best in Potterverse fanfic, submitted in a competition. Her editors could do most of the work of wading through all the junk, then JKR herself could read the semifinalists’ submissions and choose the finalists to be published. That way she would retain creative control of how her alternate world is ‘officially’ depicted, while diehard fans would get more to read, aspiring authors would get a shot at finding more readers and her publishers would make money. Seems to me like a win/win arrangement.

Posted by WeenyOwl {The Human Deluminator} on March 10, 2013, 12:40 PM report to moderator
Got-hogwarts_houses_thumb

I meant to add that some of the profits could go to JKR’s pet charities, like the Quidditch and Fantastic Beasts volumes.

Posted by WeenyOwl {The Human Deluminator} on March 10, 2013, 12:43 PM report to moderator
Budgie_thumb
12005 Points

All the best to her!

Posted by budgie on March 10, 2013, 08:57 PM report to moderator
Ready to see Leaky in Color?