It's Arthur's birthday, and because he is such a great father and beloved character, we want to give him something special. We all know he loves all things muggle, and is fascinated with batteries and plugs, and, of course, RUBBER DUCKS! Rubber ducks come in various forms and sizes...bride and groom, angel and devil, color changing, even celebrity ducks (e.g., Queen Elizabeth).
So your task this month is to design a rubber duck especially for Arthur. You may use whatever medium you choose, drawing/painting, clay modeling, graphic design, etc, as long as the work is your own. You will not be judged on how well you can draw, but on your idea. Please also tell us a little bit about your design (e.g., why you chose what you did).
- Anyone 13 years of age and over may enter the contest, including staff members who are not involved in the judging process.
- One entry per person.
- All submissions must be the original work of a single contestant. Any entries found to contain the work of another author will be disqualified.
- All entries must meet PG-13 standards of decency and good taste.
- All decisions by the judges are final.
- The first place winner will receive a handcrafted wand (design changes each month) and a copy of the book The Practitioners Guide to Wand Magic by William C. Wilson, both donated by Wizard Wood Wands, as well as 200 MyLeaky points. Second, third, and honorable mention(s) will receive 150, 100, and 50 MyLeaky points respectively.
- Please refer to our FAQ if you are not sure of something.
- If you have any questions not answered in the FAQ, or would like to discuss this Contest, please come to the Contest Corner Forum of The Leaky Lounge.
- Design a rubber duck for Arthur Weasley. You may draw, use computer graphics, etc. Be creative. Then scan, or take a picture of your design and send it to us. Please include a short description (100 words or less) to go along with your picture.
- Please submit one image of your rubber duck in any of .jpg, .png, or .gif file format that is no more than 2 MB in size.
- Your submission must be e-mailed to email@example.com by 11:59 pm (EST) on 29 February, with "Rubber Duck" in the subject line of the e-mail.
- Please copy-paste your description into the body of the e-mail and include a name to be used for authorship. You may use your real name or your Leaky Lounge name.
UPDATE: The winners have been picked! Below are the winners, descriptions, and links to their pictures. Congratulations to all!
First Place: perfectpasty
Flying Machine Duck
Enclosed is my birthday gift to you, a rubber duck. A normal rubber duck’s function being, most disappointingly, to float dormant on a child’s bathwater, I thought you’d like something slightly more enriching. This particular duck I have custom-designed to flap its wings, spin its tail feathers, and propel itself about water—all not by magic, but by simple maneuvers by the hand. I took inspiration from Leonardo da Vinci’s “Flying Machine,” thinking you’d be intrigued by a small taste of early muggle engineering. I sincerely hope you find this gift most entertaining and enlightening!
Second Place: ss19
Arthur wanted to know, "...what exactly is the function of a rubber duck?" So here I have designed a multi-functional bedside rubber duck, each of its functions having a magical counterpart to show Arthur that Muggles can get along just fine without magic.
1. Motion sensor: Muggle Foe-Glass/Sneakoscope
2. Remote-controlled light switch: Muggle Deluminator (comes with a small lamp that's not pictured)
3. White noise machine: Muggle Sleeping Draught
The best part is that it is solar-powered, so no batteries or other external sources of eckeltricity are required!
Third Place: Ducklover
Mr. Weasley Homage
In this photo, there are many aspects that portray Mr. Weasley. First off is the checkered vest. It not only shows Mr. Weasley's fascination with plugs and batteries, but shows his unique muggle style. The letter reminds us of G.O.F. when the Weasleys send Harry a letter inviting him to the World Cup. The telephone on Mr. Weasley's head brings us to P.O.A. when Ron calls Harry during the summer. The red haired, slightly balding, sideburns and the spectacles give him the fatherly look he portrays. And along with the flashlight and watch, this duck perfectly displays Mr. Weasley.
Honorable Mention: Padfoot.13
All About Arthur
My Rubber Duck for Arthur is all about him! The duck is orange, sybolizing the Weasley trademark ginger hair! The duck also has horn-rimmed glasses and Arthur's Wizard hat. The duck also has pictures that represent major parts of his personality, such as his Minstry job in the Misuse of Muggle Artefacts Office, his family, which he was devoted to, and his beloved Ford Anglia! The duck is wearing a Gryffindor tie, and there is also the symbol for The Order of the Phoenix, which Arthur was a part of and was dedicated to. It also features a white weaslel because it looks like his patronus form, and Arthur's wand. Finally, I decided to include Arthur's lifelong goal of finding out how aeroplanes stay up! I think that Arthur would love this duck because it represents him as a person, and I wish him a very happy Birthday!
Honorable Mention: Linn
Albert Einstein was a huge scientist within the Muggle world, and Merlin a huge wizard within the Wizarding world.