Harry Potter Bookmark Contest
Hermione has been reading a few (dozen) books and has run out of bookmarks to mark her place in each one. Or maybe that pesky Peeves is playing a nasty joke on her…she thought she had more! Please help Hermione by designing a bookmark with a Harry Potter theme.
- Entries must be submitted by individuals only. Collaboration will not be allowed for this contest.
- All work must be original. Any entries found to contain the work of others will be disqualified.
- By entering this contest, you give Leaky and its readers the right to print out your bookmark design for their own use. It will not be used for profit.
- This contest is open to readers all over the world who are 13 years of age and over, as well as members of Leaky staff who are not involved in the adjudication process.
- Please e-mail your submissions to firstname.lastname@example.org by 11:59 pm ET on November 30th. Please place in the e-mail header “Bookmark”.
- The first place winner will receive a custom made wand donated by Wizard Wood Wands. All decisions by the judges are final.
- Please refer to our FAQ if you are not sure of something.
- If you have any questions not answered on the FAQ, or would like to discuss this Contest, please come to the Contest Corner forum of The Leaky Lounge.
- Each entry must present a design for a bookmark, including an illustration and /or text with a Harry Potter theme.
- The back of the bookmark does not have to be designed, but credit must be given on the back of the bookmark if a quote is used.
- Please make sure your bookmark is approximately the standard size for a bookmark (2x6 inches or 5x15.2 centimeters). Please use 90 pixels/inch or 35.43 pixels/cm if you are creating your image where it allows you to pick your pixel resolution.
- Original photos, hand drawn art, and computer generated art will be accepted. Photographs not taken by the entrant, photos used without permission, and manipulated photographs (e.g., Harry Potter movie image) will not be accepted.
- Please provide a short description of how you created your bookmark (e.g., what is computer generated, what is hand drawn, etc) and/or where you obtained your photos (e.g., photo I took on vacation in England).
- Submissions will be accepted in .jpg, .png, or .gif format.
- Please submit a front and back to your bookmark. If you submit two separate files, please have the file sizes be combined to less than 1 MB.
- Please include a name to be used for authorship (e.g. Leaky Lounge name or real name) when the entry is submitted.
UPDATE!: The winners have been picked! Click his/her name to view his/her winning bookmark.
First Place: MikeyBooch
I drew the image traditionally with pencil, then refined the linework with pen and scanned it into the computer where I colored it in Photoshop CS4. The bookmark design was also done in Photoshop. The embossed gold and leathery look of the bookmark was created by using textures I made and adjusting the layer properties. The bookmark depicts Rowena Ravenclaw reading to the other founders.
Second Place: Hallie Torrey
The medium is watercolor and pen. Some basic editing was done using photo-manipulation software (boost contrast lost during scanning, edit out pen/pencil marks). Note: credit for the words "quidditch" and "muggle" are attributed to JK Rowling at the bottom of the bookmark. Sticking with the story, I thought if Hermione would use any souvenir from the Quidditch World Cup, it would be a snazzy bookmark like this. Wizards can see the players moving in and out of the frame in the bookmark, though they are still to Muggle eyes
Third Place: Patricio
I made it in Photoshop and the photo is of and old man I saw in my vacations here in Argentina, in a little city called Miramar.
Honorable Mention: Alessandra
This is hand-embroidered, in cotton floss on silk shantung. Everything is done by me except the metal book charm, which is a purchased vintage item. I have attached a photo of the final piece and a reproducible 5.5" x 2" version.