“The Happiest man on earth would be able to use the Mirror of Erised like a normal mirror, that is, he would look into it and see himself exactly as he is.”
Harry thought. Then he said slowly, “So it shows us what we want…whatever we want…”
“Yes and no,” said Dumbledore quietly. “It shows us nothing more or less, than the deepest, most desperate desire of our hearts.”
(PS/SS pg 213)
- Anyone 13 years of age and over may enter the contest, including staff members who are not involved in the judging process.
- One entry per person.
- All submissions must be the original work of a single contestant. Any entries found to contain the work of another author will be disqualified.
- All entries must meet PG-13 standards of decency and good taste.
- All decisions by the judges are final.
- The first place winner will receive a handcrafted wand (design changes each month) and a copy of the book The Practitioners Guide to Wand Magic by William C. Wilson, both donated by Wizard Wood Wands, as well as 200 MyLeaky points.
- Please refer to our FAQ if you are not sure of something.
- If you have any questions not answered in the FAQ, or would like to discuss this Contest, please come to the Contest Corner Forum of The Leaky Lounge.
- In 150 words or less: Choose a Hogwarts Professor and reveal what they would see if they looked in the Mirror of Erised. Who is with them? What are they doing? etc.
- Your submission must be e-mailed to email@example.com by 11:59 pm (EDT) on 31 December, with "Mirror of Erised" in the subject line of the e-mail.
- Please copy-paste your description into the body of the e-mail and include a name to be used for authorship. You may use your real name or your Leaky Lounge name.
UPDATE: The winners have been picked! Congratulations to all the winners. :)
First Place: RC Kirzner
The slim woman walking on stage was dressed in long flowing sequined robes of emerald green. Her hair was pulled into a sophisticated knot. Stray wisps that had escaped gave her an ethereal quality rather than her usual disheveled look. She glided out gracefully as ten thousand people rose to their feet applauding and cheering. She sat down behind a black onyx table covered with an array of quartz crystals, the deluxe edition of Cassandra’s Classic Divination and Tarot cards, and a sparkling crystal ball. The announcer said, “We begin today’s session with our esteemed guest’s astoundingly accurate predictions of events that will occur in the coming months followed by individual readings…”
The sound of footsteps behind her, made Sybil gasp in surprise and terror. Hastily she threw the cloth over the Mirror of Erised, gathered the empty sherry bottles at her feet, and slunk back into the shadows
Second Place: Linda Surga
Professor Slughorn looks into the mirror and see forgiveness. Not just from others, but forgiveness from himself. He was a naive man with a loving and trusting soul. He was a proud teacher and delighted in the achievements of his former students. He believed he made a difference in their lives by helping and guiding each one to their personal greatness. He had no idea how evil Tom Riddle was or would become. He has punished himself for years for explaining to Riddle the details on how to use the Horcrux. The Mirror of Erised shows Professor Slughorn, peace in his soul again.
Third Place: LadyBlack
With his rightful magical powers finally accessible, Argus Filch would see himself as the headmaster of a wizard juvenile detention facility, where he could issue all manner of punishment, as he sees fit, to the hooligans thrust into his care. His office would be centrally located with windows that he could open magically, so as to let in the sweet sounds of tortured screaming, while he sips tea with Mrs. Norris.
Honorable Mention: James L.
I think that if Professor Hagrid looked into the Mirror of Erised he would see:
- he is reunited with his whole family;
- he is a fully fledged, Hogwart's graduated wizard;
- he is in charge of the Mythical and Magical Beasts Division, Ministry of Magic; and therefore
- he is permitted to raise and own Dragons.
Honorable Mention: Eikind
If Prof. Flitwick looked into the Mirror of Erised, he'd probably only see the top of his head.
Honorable Mention: RowenaWeasley
If Professor Slughorn were to look into the Mirror of Erised, he would most likely see himself, surrounded by the most famous people of the Wizarding world. He would be standing next to people like Harry, Bathilda Bagshot, Cornelius Fudge, Nicolas Flamel and other like figures. His mirror image would appear to be shaking hands and making good conversation with these lofty figures. Most probably they would be giving him items of great value and seemingly praising him. Included in this reflection might be daily prophet clippings with a cover story of how he got into this group of such important people, and a huge picture of him, smiling brightly on the front.
Honorable Mention: Cirquemagic
Professor Sibyll Trelawney stumbled in front of the mirror and saw an extraordinary sight. Minerva Mcgonagall, Hermione Granger, Severus Snape, all of the teachers, all of the students bowing down to her inner-eye. They sought the future and respected her superiority in the realm of the divine unknown. Sibyll snorted. When would that ever happen? The disrespect she obtained on a normal basis was baffling! She looked to the mirror again to see herself relaying a prophecy to the awestruck headmaster. A bonafide prophecy! What kind of mirror was this? Delving down into a part of her she never expected to see. No, she thought to herself, this is a ridiculously confounded magical object. She didn't realize until she climbed the ladder to her office, how strangely satisfied she was.