Arthur's Perfect Gift Contest
The holiday season is fast approaching and we’re delighted to announce we’ve received an invitation to spend Christmas with the Weasleys. We don’t want to show up empty handed so after much deliberation, we’ve decided to ask for help from our able-minded Leaky members. We’d like to invite you to come up with the perfect gift for Arthur Weasley. But here’s the hitch-while we know Arthur has a fascination with all things muggle, Molly has informed us that even Arthur admits he has plenty of plugs and batteries. So here’s what we’d like you to do:
- In 100 words or less tell us what you think the perfect gift for Arthur Weasley would be and why. Remember--no plugs and/or batteries!
- Anyone 13 years of age or older may enter the contest, including staff members who are not involved in the judging process.
- One entry per person.
- All submissions must be the original work of the contestant. Any entry found to contain the work of another author will be disqualified.
- All decisions by the judges are final.
- All entries must meet PG-13 standards of decency and good taste.
- The first place winner will receive a custom made wand donated by Wizard Wood Wands and 200 MyLeaky points.
- All submissions must be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org by 11:59 pm (EST) on 19 December 2009 with "The Perfect Gift" in the subject of the e-mail.
- Please copy-paste your entry into the body of the e-mail and include a name to be used for authorship (real name or Leaky Lounge name).
- Please refer to our FAQ if you are not sure of something.
- If you have any questions not answered on the FAQ, or would like to discuss this Contest, please come to the Contest Corner Forum of The Leaky Lounge.
UPDATE! The winners have been picked!
First Place: John Macdonnell
For Arthur Weasley's present there are a series of children's books of varying titles, but centering around "The Way Things Work" or "How Things Work" They are illustrated books introducing children (or wizards not familiar with the workings of muggles) technology. They show for example how a telephone work or a plane flies, but also why they do. I think he'd be thrilled to have these books (and Molly would be less stressed with a book rather than him tinkering on a gas lawn mower behind her back).
Second Place: KrysGrey
A Rubik's Cube. I'm sure he'd be curious as to the point of it, and would be fascinated that Muggles actually take the time out to try and line up the coloured blocks. We'd have to convince him to try and solve it the Muggle-way, though after a while, I'm sure he'll be itching to use a spell to have it solve itself. Once he does solve it, I'm sure everyone will gather round it, trying to see if anything happens.
Third Place (tie): katandcon
The Weasleys like to travel so I believe the perfect gift for Mr. Weasley would be a trip to Purdue University to see the Rube Goldberg Machine Contest. That’s where teams from colleges from across the USA go to display the crazy machines they've made that complete a simple task in the most steps possible.
In 2007 the winner juiced an orange and poured the juice in 345 steps! Mr. Weasley would have a blast mingling with all the Muggles, and might find a use for his all of his batteries and plugs.
Third Place (tie): ZephyrFool
I’d buy a self-assembly kit for a model airplane and try to collect a debt from my old physics teacher who happens to have a licence to fly a glider. Once fully assembled the writing on the airplane would read “Coupon for a free flight with Mr. Schneider, lesson in basic physics and why airplanes stay up in the air included.”