In honor of the release of the movie Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Part 2 we are asking you to pick your favorite scene from the Deathly Hallows book, recreate it out of, well, almost anything, and then submit a photograph of it. Your creation can be life size, a shoebox diorama, or any size in between. You must submit an original photograph (having minimal photo manipulation - cropping is ok) of a scene that you create. The focus is not so much on the photography, although feel free to get creative with it, but the goal, and what the judges will be most interested in, is the creative depiction of JKR's imagery with "stuff" you have lying around or can cobble together to bring the wizarding world off the page and into three dimensions. It can even be original two-dimensional drawings placed in a three-dimensional scene. The spirit of the idea is about creating the scene- the set, the props, the characters, etc.- so no commercially made Harry Potter merchandise (e.g. Harry Potter LEGOs sets, or Tonner's HP dolls, etc.). So unleash your creativity and get crafty!
- Design, fabricate, and photograph a three dimensional depiction of a scene from the novel Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by JK Rowling.
- To create your illustration you may use any materials you wish except for commercially made Harry Potter merchandise. You may, for example, use mannequins, dress maker's dummies, hand drawn pictures placed in a 3D setting, sculpted figures and props made with modeling clay, painted paper mache, popsicle sticks, puffed rice treats and fondant, Tinker Toys ®, or any other materials you can come up with to construct your scene. You may not have real live people in the scene though.
- Please include the name you would like to have appear with your photograph (real name or Leaky Lounge name).
- Please submit one image of your scene in any of .jpg, .png, or .gif file format that is no more than 2 MB in size. Also, include a one sentence description identifying your scene in the body of your e-mail with your name.
- All submissions must be e-mailed to email@example.com by 11:59 pm (EDT) on July 31st, 2011 with "3D DH Scene" in the subject line of the e-mail.
- Anyone 13 years of age and over may enter the contest, including staff members who are not involved in the judging process.
- One entry per person.
- All submissions must be the original work of the contestant. Any entries found to contain the work of another artist will be disqualified.
- All entries must meet PG-13 standards of decency and good taste.
- All decisions by the judges are final.
- The first place winner will receive a handcrafted wand donated by Wizard Wood Wands (changes monthly) and 200 MyLeaky points. Second, third, and honorable mention(s) will receive 150, 100, and 50 MyLeaky points respectively.
- Please refer to our FAQ if you are not sure of something.
- If you have any questions not answered on the FAQ, or would like to discuss this Contest, please come to the Contest Corner Forum of The Leaky Lounge.
UPDATE: The winners have been picked! You can see the winning entries by clicking on the winner's name.
First Place: pygmy-puffs-are-awesome
This picture is just before the battle when Harry is talking to Fleur and Remus about Teddy Lupin while Ginny and Mrs. Weasly are fighting about whether she is staying, Percy is saying sorry to Mr. Weasly and Neville, Dean, Fred, George and Kingsley are talking in a circle around them. There are the house banners and bright hammocks. In one hammock is a pygmy puff and in another Neville's letter. Surrounding them are bathroom doors, broomsticks, the empty photo frame, the wireless and a book shelf (there are DA galleons on the floor).
Second Place: Sienna Verdugo
When Harry and Draco are trying to escape the room of requirement from the cursed fire.
Third Place: Clark Wilson
My diorama depicts the mysterious silver doe that led Harry through the forest to the frozen lake that Snape had placed the sword of Gryffindor in order for the sword to be taken via need and valor.
Honorable Mention: Valeria-Johanna
A tableau representing the Silver Doe chapter in the Deathly Hallows.
Honorable Mention: luna&harry
My scene is called "The Silver Doe".
Obviously it's after the chapter. As you can see, Harry is following the Silver Doe away from the tent. His wand tip is lit (that's the little round dot at the tip of it).