2010 Two Part Riddles Contest
Due to the continued enjoyment everyone has had with the previous two Riddles contests, the two-part riddles contest is back for 2010!
Part One will occur during the month of May. You are invited to submit a riddle that relates to a person, place or thing found in the Harry Potter books. The contest team will select the best riddles from the entries to have 10 riddles to post. We will also write and post riddles to fill in any needs. From these 10 riddles, a new riddle will be posted in the Contest Corner each Monday and Friday at 9am EDT during the month of June (see schedule below) for Part Two of the contest. All contestants' riddle entries used in June (this excludes riddles created by the contest team) and all people who submit correct answers for all the riddles will be placed into a drawing for one of three Wizard Wood Wands.
- There is a strict PG-13 rating for all riddles
- All work must be original
- All decisions by the judges are final
- Anyone 13 and older may enter the contest including staff members who are not involved in the judging process
- Please refer to our FAQ if you are not sure of something
- If you have any questions not answered on the FAQ, or would like to discuss this contest, please come to the Contest Corner forum on The Leaky Lounge.
May's Part One Rules:
During the month of May, the Contest Team is asking for people to submit riddles. To help you create your riddles, here are a few sources to help you along: write your own riddle worksheet (requires Acrobat Reader) and writing riddles from ehow.com
- The answer to each riddle must relate to a person, place, or thing found in books 1-7 of Harry Potter. Please ensure that these riddles are solvable (test them out on friends who won't enter!), do not have obscure Harry Potter related answers, and, most importantly, are actually riddles (e.g. not trivia questions).
- Please keep riddles no longer than 75 words.
- There is no particular format that is desired for the riddles.
- You may submit up to 3 riddles.
- All riddles must be e-mailed to email@example.com by May 22, 2010 at 11:59 pm (EDT) with "2010 Riddle Entries" in the subject line of the e-mail. Please copy-paste the riddles into the body of the e-mail with the answers and include a name to be used for authorship (real name or Leaky Lounge name).
- All entries that do not include the answers and name for authorship will be disqualified.
- The authors of all riddles used in the second part will be automatically placed into the drawing for one of three Wizard Wood Wands.
June's Part Two Rules:
Every Monday and Friday at approximately 9am EDT through the month of June, the Contest Team will post a riddle on the Contest Corner to be answered via e-mail. Please see the schedule below for the exact dates.
- All answers must be e-mailed with "2010 Riddle # Answer" in the subject line to firstname.lastname@example.org before the next riddle is posted (see schedule below). Please also submit a name (real name or Leaky Lounge name) to be used for tracking and site announcement (if you should win) purposes. Please replace the # with the riddle number (e.g. Riddle 1 Answer, Riddle 2 Answer, etc).
- Please do not post your answer in any form or way on The Leaky Lounge. All attempts or answers will be removed with the person notified as to why the post was removed.
- All answers submitted will be recorded and kept throughout the month for each person who enters.
- Answers to the riddles will be posted after the new riddle has been posted.
- To be eligible for the drawing of a Wizard Wood Wands, you must have all 10 riddles answered correctly. If you miss a deadline, your list of answers will not be counted towards a full list of correct answers. You are encouraged to still submit answers after a missed deadline in case there is no one with a full list of correct answers. If no one submits and/or answers 10 riddles correctly, the next highest amount correct will be used for the drawing of the three Wizard Wood Wands.
Schedule of Posted Riddles:
All riddles are posted on Monday and Friday at 9am EDT or 2pm BST. Please note the first riddle starts at the end of May and the last goes into July.
Riddle #1 - Mon, May 31
Riddle #2 - Fri, June 4
Riddle #3 - Mon, June 7
Riddle #4 - Fri, June 11
Riddle #5 - Mon, June 14
Riddle #6 - Fri, June 18
Riddle #7 - Mon, June 21
Riddle #8 - Fri, June 25
Riddle #9 - Mon, June 28
Riddle #10 - Fri, July 2
Mon, July 5 - All entries are due by 9am EDT or 2pm BST
UPDATE: The contest is finished and we'd like to give recognition to a few people!
Authors of the Riddles (Part 1):
The Flying Broomstick
Four people this year got all 10 riddles correct and we want to recognize those people.
Fantastic riddle solvers (Part 2):
Winners of the 3 wands were picked by a drawing between those riddles that were used for Part 2 from Part 1 and those who got all 10 riddles correct.
Winners of the wands:
The winning entries and answers can be found here.