J. K. Rowling: Hermione/Ron Relationship Was "Wish Fulfillment"

J.K. Rowling
Posted by: Mel
February 01, 2014, 08:55 PM

In a new interview with Emma Watson for the magazine Wonderland (which Watson is guest editing this month) J. K. Rowling shockingly revealed that she regretted putting Ron and Hermione together romantically. The following comments come from The Sunday Times. The full interview between Rowling and Watson will come out with the Feb/March issue of Wonderland on February 7th.

“I wrote the Hermione/Ron relationship as a form of wish fulfillment,” she says. “That’s how it was conceived, really. For reasons that have very little to do with literature and far more to do with me clinging to the plot as I first imagined it, Hermione ended up with Ron.”

“I know, I’m sorry,” she continued, “I can hear the rage and fury it might cause some fans, but if I’m absolutely honest, distance has given me perspective on that. It was a choice I made for very personal reasons, not for reasons of credibility. Am I breaking people’s hearts by saying this? I hope not.”

Watson didn’t seem shocked by these comments and agreed with her. “I think there are fans out there who know that too and who wonder whether Ron would have really been able to make her happy.”

Rowling also says that Ron and Hermione would have needed “relationship counseling.”

Many thanks to Hypable for the tip. Stay close to Leaky for more on this surprise revelation when the full article comes out on the 7th.

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent J.K. Rowling News

Petunia2_thumb

If she put them together for personal reasons, then I’m still ok with the ship… Books are very personal things to write. It could have gone either way for Hermione, really. But the main male lead getting with the main female lead… it has been done before. I’m glad she put them together.

But oh boy, is this going to cause some shipper flame wars. I am not looking forward to seeing them.

Posted by Mad But Happy on February 01, 2014, 09:09 PM report to moderator

I think something’s missing… she spent so much time establishing Ron/Hermione, especially in the final book with the locket scene (as a friend of mine on Facebook just pointed out). Not to mention the “anvil sized hints” thing. At the very least, I’m taking this less as her not having ever liked them, and more as her not planning on it originally and realizing where it was going when it was too late to backtrack, OR her wishing she’d done things differently in hindsight. But I also think we need more context.

Posted by Author By Night on February 01, 2014, 10:16 PM report to moderator
149638_103433969730594_2631787_n_thumb

I was very happy with Ron and Hermione. I could see it coming with GOF. Hermione and Harry would have been so trite and predictable (IMO ). I would love to know why she was sorry she put them together .

Posted by sessionka oom4 CW on February 01, 2014, 11:38 PM report to moderator
149638_103433969730594_2631787_n_thumb

Posted by sessionka oom4 CW on February 01, 2014, 11:38 PM report to moderator
149638_103433969730594_2631787_n_thumb

Plus…Harry would not have ended up with Ginny, and that was soooo beautifully written. No….Ron and Hermione belonged together. They complemented each other. Her with her brains, and him with his sense of humor and fun.

Enough of this second guessing !!!

Posted by sessionka oom4 CW on February 01, 2014, 11:55 PM report to moderator
Raven_avatar_thumb

How fascinating… I always wondered if Jo’s heart was really in it.

Posted by Won_Two on February 02, 2014, 01:30 AM report to moderator
Vdpqtmg_thumb

I’ve always liked Ron and Hermione together. Not that she wouldn’t have been great with Harry but the idea of Harry and Hermione just didn’t sit right with me for some reason.

But dear God, I hope the ship wars don’t start again. This is going to be a battlefield.

Posted by Acciobrooms on February 02, 2014, 01:58 AM report to moderator
Th_ravenclawawesome_thumb

I think once the quotes are read within the body of the article they will take on a whole new flavor. I think these were used to boost sales of the magazine. I guess we will see on the seventh. Ron and Hermione was my favorite “ship” in the series.

Posted by La La Toadstone =:) on February 02, 2014, 02:23 AM report to moderator
Emma_rupert_leaves_2006_thumb

Well thanks Jo for kicking down 10 years of what built up what I consider to be the most beautiful, unconditional & bare bones real relationship that could ever exist between 2 people… The thing that makes Ron & Hermione work IS the unique nature of their relationship. It’s a rare occurrence when 2 people start out as childhood best friends, then over time portray their brutal, raw & honest self to one other, only to have it come out on the other side as being each others’ soul mate. Couldn’t their differences just have complemented each other over time? Why, just because it wasn’t a steamy scene out of Twilight romance, it shouldn’t have happened? If anything, because they had such a solid foundation as best friends, THEIR relationship would be the one to weather ANYTHING. I don’t know why Jo wouldn’t see that. & I know there are many Harry/Hermione shippers out there & I respect them for the (often brilliant) opinions they bring to the table, but please consider mine: REALLY putting Harry & Hermione together is just so American high-school fairytale. & it doesn’t several damaging things: 1. It ruins the beautiful, unconditional purely raw brother-sister “I wouldn’t sleep with you but I’d die for you because I love you so much & you mean the world to me” relationship between Harry & Hermione (Yes, I MAY have been the only person that looked at The Dance in that light, but tis true) 2. It’s a smack in the face to Ron. I’m sorry I love Harry with all my heart, & he is a hero, but he needs to sit this one out in my book 3. It’s a smack in the face to Ginny, who quite honestly has gotten the shaft throughout the series. I know it was necessary that she be secondline throughout the story, but it’s unfortunate because she’s an amazingly strong character that, if there was to be a post-war series, she’d burst in like a bat out of hell & you wouldn’t know what hit you. Let her get her love foe heaven’s sake. 4. They say, metaphorically, women marry their fathers & men marry their mothers. Let Lily live through Ginny for Harry. Hermione just wouldn’t cut it… Anyway, around OOTP when Jo announced that a very main character was going to die, & my stomach tied up in knots because I couldn’t imagine losing any of them, I finally came to terms with a shred of acceptance that it would be Ron. & I thought he would go out saving Hermione’s life, & in his last dying moments admitting to her that he loved her. Ugh Jo… PLEASE, don’t re-write your own canon, it was perfect how it was. It’s one thing if you want to add details- we want that- but to reconstruct one of the major underlying themes in the story? It makes me weary that she’ll come out next saying that Dumbledore is really a dark wizard.

Posted by blessedb28 on February 02, 2014, 03:02 AM report to moderator
Logo150nobrain_thumb

I think the Ron/Hermione final outcome can be traced back to the relationship between Jo and the original tall, gangly, red-haired owner of the Ford Anglia that provided a means of escape in their youth.

Posted by zonkoltd on February 02, 2014, 04:41 AM report to moderator
Neville-poster_thumb

Myself and most people I know have married their opposite. I think it happens because you tend to be attracted to someone whose strengths balance out your weaknesses, and vice versa. Ron and Hermione work because of that.

Posted by Nevilla on February 02, 2014, 07:01 AM report to moderator

I never believed in Ron and Hermoine for a second. He is just too thick for her- in fact a bit of a moron. As Emma Watson so accurately says " do you really believe that Ron would have made Hermoine happy ?"
Not for long anyway. She would have become bored with him. She is an achiever – he is a loser.

Posted by Beazle on February 02, 2014, 09:40 AM report to moderator
Harry-potter-galleon_thumb

Finally Jo had admitted to the biggest mistake in the series. My wife who read the series after all 7 books came out actually disturbed by Jo putting Hermione and Ron together. She has a degree in psychology and works with domestic abuse victims. She says the way the couple is written points there is a great chance that Ron would be abusive in their marriage. It had nothing to do with them being opposites as my wife and me are complete opposites and have been happily married for 10 years.

Posted by LegendMN007 on February 02, 2014, 12:40 PM report to moderator
Tumblr_lof6suzoya1qzaf17o4_250_thumb

Well, she can say anything what she wants now. Can’t go back, ha! Early on, I really wanted Harry and Hermione to get together. But Ron and Hermione – it was such a roller coaster of humor and emotions. I wouldn’t change anything in their story. I bet Jo’s thinking a lot about everything in the books, but my dear, there are no mistakes and absolutely no regrets :)
@Beazle, don’t be so hard on Ron. He’s not a loser, and he’s definitely not boring.

Posted by Matea on February 02, 2014, 04:34 PM report to moderator
Petunia2_thumb

You can dislike the ship, but Ron completely flipped out when Hermione was being tortured by Bellatrix (amoung other things)… I highly doubt he would abuse her. Get on her last nerve? Sure. I love Jo, but she’s starting to remind me of George Lucas. We’ll have 13 re-releases of the movies before long. :p

Posted by Mad But Happy on February 02, 2014, 09:00 PM report to moderator

"I am not going to come quietly at all, Cornelius. I have absolutely no intention of being sent to Azkaban. I could break out, of course -- but what a waste of time, and frankly, I can think of a whole host of things I would rather be doing."

Issue 28 - Aug. 2014