Whimsic Alley's First Annual Wizard Cruise

News
Posted by: Catherine
February 05, 2013, 10:08 PM

Whimsic Alley, an all-Harry Potter merchandise store in California, is establishing a new tradition for Harry Potter super fans. In partnership with Princess Cruises, Whimsic Alley is hosting a four-night water adventure up the California Cost, departing from Los Angeles. Whimsic Alley intends for these "Wizard Cruises" to become an annual fan event. The first cruise is set to sail November 27, later this year. Herald Online reports:

Whimsic Alley's Los Angeles facility has been a premier destination for Harry Potter fans worldwide since it first opened eight years ago. Locals and tourists have likened its avenue of intricately designed shops—featuring wands, quills, witches' hats, curios, wizard jewelry and apparel—to Harry Potter's Diagon Alley. The Great Hall at Whimsic Alley has been the site of hundreds of parties, teas, balls, banquets and luncheons.

The idea of a Wizard Cruise has been a long-time dream of Whimsic Alley's creator, Stan Goldin. Each year the "Alley" has conducted summer day camps for kids and a 4-day intensive camp for "so-called" grown-ups. "There are a lot of fan-cons and symposiums around the world each year for Harry Potter enthusiasts," said Goldin, referring to the types of events that feature discussion panels, art exhibits, and meetings. Such events are extremely popular among the Potter fandom. "Those fan-cons are terrific, but our camps are very different. We fully immerse our campers in the wizard-world experience. For the entire time they're with us, they become students at a wizarding academy, subject to the challenges and ordeals inherent in that experience."

Whimsic Alley plans that same type of full-immersion experience for participants of the Wizard Cruise. "Guests will be entertained practically around the clock," said Event Coordinator Belinda Ervin. "They'll be overwhelmed. They literally won't know which way to turn." Asked about specific activities they are planning, Ervin was deliberately secretive. "We've found that part of what makes the experience fun is the element of surprise, so we don't like to give away too much information ahead of time."

The price of the cruise starts at $650 per person and includes food, lodging, entertainment and activities. For details about what promises to be a truly "magical" expedition, call Whimsic Alley at 310-453-2370, extension 407, or visit www.WhimsicAlley.com. Answers to frequently asked questions can be found at http://www.whimsicalley.com/CruiseQuestions.htm.

Read more here: http://www.heraldonline.com/2013/02/04/4592066/harry-potter-fans-take-to-the.html#storylink=cpy

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent News News

This is pretty cool, but very pricy! I think I would be more willing to consider paying if they were more straightfoward about what exactly would be happening on this cruise. I wouldn’t drop $650 on the unknown.

Posted by Lookatme_Always on February 05, 2013, 11:22 PM report to moderator
Got-hogwarts_houses_thumb

Hmmm…I’m not normally a ‘cruise person,’ preferring more active travel adventures (when I can afford to travel at all), but this does sound enticing!

Posted by WeenyOwl {The Human Deluminator} on February 06, 2013, 10:39 AM report to moderator
Tumblr_mhtdm2xtoo1r5souzo7_250_thumb
20981 Points

I’m not the cruise type either, being in a big ship in the middle of the ocean is not my cup of tea. However, its very nice to see the spirit of HP being keep alive in so many ways. :) To those who say “Harry Potter is over.” I say. HA!

Posted by LunaLuver on February 06, 2013, 01:26 PM report to moderator
Petunia2_thumb

That’s not a bad price at all, for a 4 day cruise… but I can’t justify spending such $$$ on unknown activities. Sorry!

Posted by Mad But Happy on February 06, 2013, 05:03 PM report to moderator
Casualvacanycover_2266306a_thumb

If there was a “Like” button on Leaky, I would “Like” your comment LunaLuver! :)

Posted by Catherine ( *SQUEE!*) on February 06, 2013, 06:36 PM report to moderator
Hogshead_thumb

Thank you for posting the website so we could dig deeper. I had never heard of Whimsic Alley and I’ve lived in Calif all my life. The name Harry Potter was not written once on their homepage (only once in the FAQ about this cruise) and I gathered quickly they are not affiliated in any way with WB Studios or JK Rowling, etc. The merchandise shown are knockoffs of authentic HP wands, scarves, sweaters, etc. The $650 is the lowest cruise rate for a quadruple room. The only cruise I’ve taken was in the gorgeous Caribbean and there’s no comparison of scenery to LA/SD/Mex. (Remember, I am a Californian and love my home state.) My trip to the “real” Diagon Alley at WB Studios near London was incredible, but local Californians will be able to experience the Wizarding World when it opens in LA next year!

Posted by PollyC on February 06, 2013, 10:29 PM report to moderator
Raven_avatar_thumb

If you like ocean cruises I guess this is a cool thing… I however, prefer to ‘cruise’ on down to my local beverage distributer and get a 1/2 keg of PBR for my keg-o-rator! :+]

Posted by Won_Two on February 08, 2013, 06:45 PM report to moderator

You can take a four day cruise to Mexico from LA for $189 if you shop around, Whimsic Alley is really jacking up the price on this event. PollyC, Whimsic Alley is in no way affiliated with Harry Potter or Warner Bros, that is why they cannot include that on their website. Why buy the knock-off stuff, you can buy all the official stuff from http://www.harrypottershop.com/ or get all the stuff from Wizarding World Orlando http://www.universalorlando.com/Merchandise/merchandisehome.aspx

Posted by HPFanLA on February 11, 2013, 02:06 PM report to moderator

Harry raised his wand. Now was the moment to do it. Now was the moment to avenge his mother and father. He was going to kill Black. He had to kill Black. This was his chance... [br]The seconds lengthened. And still Harry stood frozen there, wand poised, B