J.K. Rowling Confirms Potter Play: Harry to Fly Onto Floorboards

J.K. Rowling
Posted by: Melissa
December 20, 2013, 09:31 AM

Today on her Facebook page, J.K. Rowling confirmed a story that appeared in the Daily Mail claiming that a play based on Harry Potter's years as an orphan in Surrey would be winging its way to a UK stage. It will be based on Harry's "early years as an orphan an outcast...featuring some of our favourite characters from the Harry Potter books, this new work will offer a unique insight into the heart and mind of the now legendary young wizard. A seemingly ordinary boy, but one for whom Destiny has plans..."

J.K. Rowling will be a co-producer on the project (also producing are Colin Callender and Sonia Friedman, the latter of whom is a producer on the hit Book of Mormon) and will collaborate with an as-yet-unnamed writer on the play but will not write the script herself. She is quoted on her Facebook page with the following:
Over the years I have received countless approaches about turning Harry Potter into a theatrical production, but Sonia and Colin’s vision was the only one that really made sense to me, and which had the sensitivity, intensity and intimacy I thought appropriate for bringing Harry's story to the stage. After a year in gestation it is exciting to see this project moving on to the next phase. I’d like to thank Warner Bros. for their continuing support in this project."
Writers and directors are now being considered, and the project will move into development in 2014. As always keep tuned to Leaky for the latest!

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent J.K. Rowling News

018734281a3970190750b972929570l_normal_thumb

In Privet Drive? Doesn’t sound like it would be a barrel of laughs! But count me in, I’ll be in the first row!

Posted by KiwiMcI on December 20, 2013, 09:45 AM report to moderator
Raven_avatar_thumb

Interesting… I will not be there however.

Posted by Won_Two on December 21, 2013, 12:03 PM report to moderator
Th_ravenclawawesome_thumb

I am saying this latest HP venture is a little odd. :/

Posted by La La Toadstone =:) on December 22, 2013, 02:49 AM report to moderator
Tumblr_mhtdm2xtoo1r5souzo7_250_thumb
20981 Points

Personally I think this is a horrible idea. Arent the new movies enough for WB and JK?

Posted by LunaLuver on December 24, 2013, 01:06 AM report to moderator
Eeyorescrollsparky_thumb

I’m having a hard time getting the real point of sticking to an early time in Harry’s life. A reworking of Oliver Twist, maybe? I am not sure what it would be like to see Harry’s horrible, friendless life without any magic.

Posted by Eeyore on December 26, 2013, 12:46 PM report to moderator
Petunia2_thumb

Maybe they’ll show wizards watching over Harry without him knowing, or show some of his accidental magical outburts (like appearing on the roof of the school building)? I don’t think it would “magic free”. Either way, I can’t see it unless it’s popular enough to get a USA tour. :p

Posted by Mad But Happy on December 28, 2013, 08:51 AM report to moderator

Issue 28 - Aug. 2014

"Get too near a dementor and every good feeling, every happy memory will be sucked out of you. If it can, the dementor will feed on you long enough to reduce you to something like itself... soul-less and evil. You'll be left with nothing but the worst exp