New Yorker Profile of J. K. Rowling Offers More Insight into "The Casual Vacancy"

JKR Interviews
Posted by: Edward
September 23, 2012, 01:22 AM

The New Yorker magazine has just published this lengthy profile and interview with author J. K. Rowling which goes into much depth and detail about her time following the release of the final Harry Potter novel as she began to write her forthcoming novel geared towards adults, The Casual Vacancy.  The piece offers new details regarding specific characters, plot details, and themes for her new book (spoiler alert!), while also going through much of Rowling's back story from when she was a child through her raise in popularity for the Harry Potter novels.  Of particular interest, however, are Rowling's comments regarding her decision to publish-- and how to publish-- this novel.  In part:

I asked her if publishing the new book made her feel exposed. “I thought I’d feel frightened at this point,” she said. “Not just because it’s been five years, and anything I wrote after Potter—anything—was going to receive a certain degree of attention that is not entirely welcome, if I’m honest. It’s not the place I’m happiest or most comfortable, shall we say. So, for the first few years of writing ‘The Casual Vacancy,’ I kept saying to myself, ‘You’re very lucky. You can pay your bills, you don’t have to publish it.’ And that was a very freeing thought, even though I knew bloody well, in my heart of hearts, that I was going to publish it..."
The author continues, offering more details on the theme of the novel, and how the story developed over time.  Quoteage:
"It’s been billed, slightly, as a black comedy, but to me it’s more of a comic tragedy,” she said. If the novel had precedents, “it would be sort of nineteenth-century: the anatomy and the analysis of a very small and closed society.” A local election was “a perfect way in,” she said. “It’s the smallest possible building block of democracy—this tiny atom on which everything rests."

...
"The Casual Vacancy" describes young people coming of age in a place divided by warring factions, and the deceased council member, Barry Fairbrother—who dies in the first chapter but remains the story’s moral center—had the same virtues, in his world, that Harry had in his: tolerance, constancy, a willingness to act.

"I think there is a through-line," Rowling said. "Mortality, morality, the two things that I obsess about." "The Casual Vacancy" is not a whodunnit but, rather, a rural comedy of manners that, having taken on state-of-the-nation social themes, builds into black melodrama. Its attention rotates among several Pagford households, in the Southwest of England: a gourmet-grocery owner and his wife; two doctors; a nurse married to a printer; a social worker. Most of the families include troubled teens.
The full 9,000 word New Yorker article is available to read via this link, but, be warned, spoilers abound!

The Casual Vacancy will be released September 27.

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent JKR Interviews News

Hedwig_avatar_thumb

An absorbing article! My copy of Jo’s new book is already ordered:)

Posted by Graymayne on September 23, 2012, 10:17 AM report to moderator
Eeyorescrollsparky_thumb

It sounds great. In the Guardian interview she said she thought it was very like a Trollope novel. I’ve read and enjoyed several of his books. So this looks a treat.

In the way she describes it as a small closed society, it also made me think of Elizabeth Gaskell from the 19th century. She wrote the books that were turned into the PBS series of Cranford. I like that kind where everyone in a town knows everyone else and the story is all about their relationships to each other.

It’s just that sort of thing that made the Harry Potter books so compelling. There was adventure and mystery, but mostly we were getting to know the characters.

Posted by Eeyore on September 23, 2012, 12:54 PM report to moderator
Raven_avatar_thumb

It won’t be long now…

Posted by Won_Two on September 23, 2012, 09:24 PM report to moderator
Hermione_grange_thumb

Cool not sure if I going to read it maybe I will.

Posted by HarryPotterGirl (Hermione) on September 23, 2012, 11:14 PM report to moderator

I was about to preorder it from amazon when I found out it was an adults book do you think it will be sutible for a twelve year old?

Posted by loonylovegoodxo on September 24, 2012, 03:39 PM report to moderator
018734281a3970190750b972929570l_normal_thumb

I love the way PotterCast and Melissa were quoted in this article! Winner!

Posted by KiwiMcI on September 24, 2012, 04:15 PM report to moderator
Phpyyqy43_c2am_thumb

loonylovegoodxo, I would wait for actual reviews first, but it has been described as an adult novel from the get-go, and I would think hard before giving it to a 12 year old, mature though the child might be. I am eager to read the book!

Posted by weasleywannabe1997 on September 25, 2012, 09:40 AM report to moderator
Neville-poster_thumb

I was going to download it on my Kindle when I saw the price. 17.99 for Kindle edition? Really? Most Kindle editions for established authors are 9.99 to 12.99. They are going to have to lower the price before I buy it.

Posted by Nevilla on September 27, 2012, 02:58 AM report to moderator

Issue 28 - Aug. 2014

He looked closely at the owl for a moment; then, to Harry's and Hermione's great surprise, he held him out for Crookshanks to sniff.[br]"What do'you reckon?" Ron asked the cat. "Definitely an owl?"[br]Crookshanks purred.[br]"That's good enough for me," sa