Five Years Later

Opinion
Posted by: Melissa
July 21, 2012, 10:04 PM

And they said we wouldn't last!

Today, in case your Muggle calendar is broken, is five years since the release of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. Five years ago most, if not all, of us were huddled over new, magical pages as we discovered the last secrets of the Harry Potter saga.

Since that time, we have been faced with questions and demands from people who know us less well than we know ourselves. What will you do? What's next? Where is the Harry Potter fandom going when it's over? I don't know about you, but I am tired of those people and those questions. We come from the age before, and are part of the age after, the glorification of enthusiasm. Part of what made Harry such a story was that no one could believe young people could be that excited about anything, much less a book. For whatever reason, it was less cool then than it is now to geek out about that which you love. Harry Potter will always be an enormous part of that evolution. For all its forbearers, for every pop culture phenomenon that led into the enormous boom of enthusiasm by which the decade of Potter was marked, Harry was the first one to break through the jaded, resisting wall of people who could not be bothered. It was the first one to make those guys seem uncool.

A lot has changed since then, but the important things have not. We still love Harry Potter; we still read Harry Potter. But we're lovers of other things too. Other books. Other series. Movies. Music. Culture. By engaging with Harry as wholly and with so much intelligence and passion, we learned how best to express a fandom: with compassion and curiosity and creativity.

Now, geekery has become cool - nay, even hot. Showing your enthusiasm is expected. The age of being shocked that young people are obsessing over fiction, or writing their own versions of stories, or inventing music about their favorite characters, is over. It's time to unabashedly rejoice in the magic of story, and Harry Potter will always be part of why that's so very okay.

In five years from now, where will we be? Will some of us be reading the Harry Potter stories to our children? How many of us will be published novelists ourselves? Who, of those of you reading this right now, will create a TV series or movie that inspires its own fandom? When you see the unfailing joy, the unironic excitement, and clear-eyed ebullience that meaningful stories can inspire, we hope you'll think of Harry, and remember the time we all spent discovering such happiness together.

Leaky will still be here, helping chart the course. After all, a good story never dies.

Happy anniversary, everyone!

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Opinion News

I can’t believe its been 5 years already!!! :)

Posted by Melly96 on July 21, 2012, 11:16 PM report to moderator

I can’t believe its been 5 years already!!! :)

Posted by Melly96 on July 21, 2012, 11:16 PM report to moderator
Icon_thumb

Until the very end.

Posted by Elwood J. Blues on July 21, 2012, 11:30 PM report to moderator
3276813_thumb

My niece and nephew just fell in love with Harry Potter. They went as Harry and Hermione on Halloween, and just two days ago, my sister sent me a picture of my nephew eating breakfast in his Hogwarts robes. I just don’t worry about this anymore.

Posted by moonyprof on July 22, 2012, 12:16 AM report to moderator
Imagescad1mlxa_thumb

Five years? Wow it doesn’t seem like that long ago, Wow.

" After all this time? "
“Always .”

Posted by muggle..andproudofit =:) on July 22, 2012, 12:48 AM report to moderator
Harry_potter__hbp_promo__3_thumb

Woah,five whole years…we’ve been queuing up in front of bookstores to lay our hands on our precious copies of the book, the waiting part was so much enjoyable and exciting! All dressed up in Harry Potter costumes, wands in our hands, excited speculations about whether Dumbledore is really dead, whether Snape is really evil…and so many other questions. We’ve got our answers, but the magic lives on…always.

Posted by forgetmenot_007 on July 22, 2012, 03:57 AM report to moderator
423928_2979823569581_1081661667_32966780_333709726_n_thumb

5 years already! And we still stuck together. Long live the fandom!

Posted by Gene *ROAR* on July 22, 2012, 04:43 AM report to moderator
423928_2979823569581_1081661667_32966780_333709726_n_thumb

Harry Potter inspired me write story too!

Posted by Gene *ROAR* on July 22, 2012, 04:43 AM report to moderator
David_and_me_thumb

Very beautiful words and so true!))

Posted by Janedalek on July 22, 2012, 05:32 AM report to moderator

waiting for more such anniversaries to come…CHEERS!!

Posted by charvi on July 22, 2012, 07:19 AM report to moderator
Raven_avatar_thumb

I vividly remember running out to my mailbox at the end of my driveway on that hot July day to retrieve my copy in its white box from Amazon. Sigh… time has flown.

Posted by Won_Two on July 22, 2012, 10:52 AM report to moderator
Got-hogwarts_houses_thumb

It’s stunning to realize that five years have already passed. For me at least, the hunger for more has not diminished in the least. I try to fill the void with other books, and hope to live to see another series in my lifetime that will engage me emotionally the way that only the Harry Potter books and ‘The Lord of the Rings’ have done, by describing a secondary reality with such vividness that I want to go live there. While I wait, I have the pleasure of connecting with others in the fandom who have been similarly affected, and I value that very highly. So cheers to all of you who have been, and will be, with Harry to the very end!

Posted by WeenyOwl {The Human Deluminator} on July 22, 2012, 11:11 AM report to moderator
3921495380_c4d58fdfbd_thumb

Well said and I am glad someone did. I am finishing the books for the well you know.. and have just started the last… and yeah still ‘hot’!

Posted by Noei on July 22, 2012, 11:32 AM report to moderator

Woot!!!! HP is truly the best story- it’s own genre of music, theme parks around the globe, ahs the best actors, has the best fans and meaning- yet muggles still don’t understand and judge us and treat us like we can’t go along with life properly. Well, it’s a good thing we’re HP fans because we can resistthose people with love and compassion- after, they’re just muggles, right? It is amazing to me that I am part of something so big- it’s really hard to wrap my mind around the enitre fandom because I’m in it, and it’s incredbly blessing to be able to call myself a HP fan. Years from now, I’ll be doing what I am now- loving HP and doing things in the world inspired by
HP. :D

Posted by katelyner123 on July 22, 2012, 12:23 PM report to moderator

HP. :D

Posted by katelyner123 on July 22, 2012, 12:23 PM report to moderator

Neville was turning steadily more purple in the face while tugging at Crabbe's arms, and Hermione was attempting vainly to throw Millicent Bulstrode off her. Luna, however, stood limply by the side of her captor, gazing vaguely out of the window as though