Video: J. K. Rowling and Steve Kloves Talk Writing the Trio

Movies
Posted by: Mel
July 11, 2012, 07:05 PM

The Harry Potter Wizard's Collection website has released a short clip from the "Creating the World of Harry Potter" documentary, which will be included as part of the special features of this limited edition DVD collection. Watch here or below as J. K. Rowling and screenwriter Steve Kloves discuss the effort that went into writing Harry, Ron, and Hermione:

The description of the documentary this is taken from is as follows:

Over the course of ten years, screenwriter Steve Kloves worked tirelessly with author J.K. Rowling to develop her magical books into films. From the beginning, Kloves had to decide what to keep, what to change and what to cut while staying true to Rowling's vision, initially without even knowing how the series ended! Learn the story behind the stories as they sit down together for an intimate, free-flowing conversation.

The Harry Potter Wizard's Collection will be released on September 7th.

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Movies News

That’s really cool! :DDDDD I would definitely miss writing about the trio also :(

Posted by katelyner123 on July 11, 2012, 08:14 PM report to moderator

lol Ruprt is a genius XDDDDDDD

Posted by katelyner123 on July 11, 2012, 08:19 PM report to moderator
Severus_x_2_thumb

Very nice snippet.

Posted by Valeria-Johanna on July 12, 2012, 02:13 AM report to moderator
Wig4_thumb

Very nice

Posted by Fleur-de- Lily on July 12, 2012, 05:32 AM report to moderator
2013-07-19_113504_thumb

Loved the clip, really would love to see the whole bit, but not really thrilled at the cost of the set.

Posted by Want to be a Weasley on July 12, 2012, 08:52 AM report to moderator

I would love to buy this but my parents will just say, “but you already HAVE all the dvds!” and not let me get it. Maybe the extra stuff will find its way onto Youtube…

Posted by hogwarts-is-my-home on July 12, 2012, 10:06 AM report to moderator
Hermione_poster_thumb

Help my Leaky! I can’t see the post!

Posted by silverkacy on July 12, 2012, 10:35 AM report to moderator
Raven_avatar_thumb

Interesting little bit….

Posted by Won_Two on July 12, 2012, 10:46 AM report to moderator

Posted by jordanricke on July 12, 2012, 07:46 PM report to moderator

It’s amazing how badly Kloves managed to butcher the characters of Ron and Hermione. Clearly JKR wasn’t strict enough with him.

Posted by j@m on July 13, 2012, 12:51 PM report to moderator
Fwooper1_thumb

LOL – “Have you actually met her?” – “No – can you introduce me?” Rupert Grint just totally nails Ron – I quite agree, his performance is genius. I have never been a Kloves fan really – so it’s interesting to see that he does actually value Ron’s contribution to the Trio. Kloves is right – he has that advantage of coming from a wizarding background and he has that insight and instinct.

Posted by siena on July 13, 2012, 12:56 PM report to moderator

I can’t wonder why she left out……" So when I showed the manuscript I had received at Amnesty and which completely blew me away to my friend Christopher Little he said…. “why the hell don’t we do an English version of it? We never looked back.”

Posted by hyades on July 13, 2012, 08:35 PM report to moderator

I am curious to know how Kloves “butchered” Ron and Hermione, as I’ve seen this reaction (and especially that word “butchered”) before. To butcher something would be to slice it up beyond recognition, and to my knowledge and perspective, that never happened. Kloves took some liberties and exaggerated certain aspects of Ron and Hermione, which often happens in adaptations (especially from a written medium to a visual medium) because aspects of a character must be shown rather than told. In the books, it does seem sometimes like Ron and Harry are interchangeable (Ron is just Harry with red hair), while movie Ron is more fallible, more of a ham, and goes on a bit more of a plot arc in terms of coming to maturity about certain things. People have also complained that Hermione in the movies is actually TOO positive, deriding Kloves’ treatment of her as “Super Hermione”. So Movie Ron is too fallible, Movie Hermione isn’t fallible enough, I take it. If Jo Rowling didn’t like Kloves, she wouldn’t have approved him in the first place, and even then, if she STILL didn’t like him (after he had shown how he was going to treat the characters in one, two, three, etc, movies) she could have appealed to WB to have him replaced. There’s no indication that she ever did so, and many indications that she loved his version of her characters. I think that love of Potter sometimes blinds people to certain truths and makes them more willing to cast blame and fury in someones direction when they don’t really deserve it, be they writer, director, actor, etc.

Posted by critterfur on July 13, 2012, 09:55 PM report to moderator

Also, I’m curious, hyades…are you indicating that Rowling somehow stole the idea for Harry Potter? If so, I’d really like to hear that amusing urban legend (I’ve heard variations on it, but nothing about “Amnesty” or receiving some “manuscript”). I don’t put much credence in copycats and wannabes who have attempted to put Jo Rowling down and devalue her imagination and contributions by stating that she didn’t create the story and characters.

Posted by critterfur on July 13, 2012, 10:00 PM report to moderator
Hermione_thumb

So Steve Kloves did realize the significance of Ron. He didn’t do very good job of portraying it, though.

Posted by hermione198k on July 15, 2012, 11:05 AM report to moderator

Mrs. Weasley was marching across the yard, scattering chickens, and for a short, plump, kind-faced woman, it was remarkable how much she looked like a saber-toothed tiger.

Issue 28 - Aug. 2014