Online Harry Potter Course for High School Students to be Hosted by Mythgard Academy

Fans
Posted by: Mel
June 06, 2012, 07:06 PM

For high school sophomores, juniors, and seniors, enrollment is now open for Mythgard Academy's online course: Hogwarts 101: Exploring Harry Potter, Years 1-3. This intensive, three-week course, which is run by Dr. Amy H. Sturgis, will have interactive online classroom discussions, and focuses on a close reading of the first three Harry Potter books. A description of the course is as follows:

Why is the Harry Potter series a record-setting success story across the world? What great traditions and works inspired the saga? What lasting lessons and big ideas can we draw from it? Join award-winning scholar Dr. Amy H. Sturgis as she considers the first three Harry Potter novels – Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s (or Sorcerer’s) Stone, Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, and Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban –through the lenses of literature, history, philosophy, and popular culture studies. Even if you’re a dedicated fan, there’s always more to discover!

No wand? No owl? No problem! Muggles and squibs are welcome as Mythgard Academy investigates the magical worlds and deeper meanings of the Harry Potter saga.

You can read more about Mythgard Academy here.

The course will run from July 2nd to July 18th, and enrollment is closed on July 1st. There is also a Lord of the Rings course entitled The Lord of the Rings I: The Road Goes Ever On.

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Fans News

:OOOOOOOOOOOOO AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by katelyner123 on June 06, 2012, 08:26 PM report to moderator

I wish I were in high-school :((((((((((((((

Posted by katelyner123 on June 06, 2012, 08:27 PM report to moderator
Raven_avatar_thumb

How very lovely!

Posted by Won_Two on June 06, 2012, 09:31 PM report to moderator
Tumblr_mhtdm2xtoo1r5souzo7_250_thumb
20981 Points

This actually makes me wish I was still in High School!!! So freaking cool!!!!! XD

Posted by LunaLuver on June 06, 2012, 10:54 PM report to moderator
100__bookworm_thumb

Heck yes!!!! I’m a junior!!! =D

Posted by chocoyum4 on June 06, 2012, 11:12 PM report to moderator
Imagescad1mlxa_thumb

Hmmm…does being homeschooled rule you out?
But awesome!

Posted by muggle..andproudofit =:) on June 06, 2012, 11:20 PM report to moderator
Hermione_poster_thumb

I wish I was in high school!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That sounds soooo fun. I went to one of those in 6th grade (it was for middle schoolers) but all we did was watch movies. We did do a pretty awesome parody though. Watch Faterim on Youtube by 123koconner. :) Faterim is the name of our parody (don’t ask why).

Posted by silverkacy on June 07, 2012, 02:33 PM report to moderator
Tumblr_myzun5xhwu1tp4ll0o4_r1_250_thumb

I could do this!

Posted by horcruxhunter7 on June 07, 2012, 04:07 PM report to moderator
Def_of_fangirl_thumb

Ugh, I literally JUST graduated from high school TODAY! So that means that I can’t take this course :(
That makes me sad.

Posted by shipleyweasley on June 07, 2012, 11:15 PM report to moderator
17879-26957_thumb

Sounds interesting. Do the students get high school or college credit for this course?

Posted by molly43 on June 11, 2012, 08:46 PM report to moderator
Ameliaaa_thumb

Wish I could take it, I’m just a freshman… :(

Posted by Like a Name in a Fairytale{ROAR} on June 19, 2012, 12:34 PM report to moderator

This is cool except for the fact you have to pay for it :/

Posted by hogwarts-is-my-home on July 12, 2012, 03:53 PM report to moderator

Marauder's Map: [i]"Mr. Prongs agrees with Mr. Moony, and would like to add that Professor Snape is an ugly git."[/i]