UPDATED: Wonderbook: Book of Spells to Feature New Content from J. K. Rowling

J.K. Rowling
Posted by: Mel
June 05, 2012, 07:18 PM

As part of its collaboration with J K. Rowling, Sony revealed a new game for the PlayStation 3 which will allow players to learn and perform spells from The Book of Spells by Miranda Goshawk. This game will also feature new written content by J. K. Rowling:

Featuring exclusive new and original writing from J.K. Rowling, Wonderbook: Book of Spells comes to life as you read, allowing you to cast spells with your PlayStation®Move Motion Controller which becomes your own magic wand. Go on a fantastic journey to read and learn the secrets of wizardry and the art of spell-casting, just like a student at Hogwarts™, when it is released in November 2012 in Europe and December 2012 in North America. Wonderbook: Book of Spells will also be coming to other countries and regions following this window.

J.K. Rowling said, "Wonderbook: Book of Spells is the closest a Muggle can come to a real spellbook.  I've loved working with Sony's creative team to bring my spells, and some of the history behind them, to life.  This is an extraordinary device that offers a reading experience like no other."

...

Book of Spells is presented as being written by Miranda Goshawk over two hundred years ago, and can be found in the Restricted Section of the Hogwarts library.  It is an advanced textbook for students, which will assist them on their journey to becoming an accomplished witch or wizard.

Released in November 2012, Wonderbook: Book of Spells provides students with a safe environment in which to read, discover, learn and practise spells they already know and love, such as Incendio, Wingardium Leviosa and Expelliarmus, as well as discover mischievous notes and spells scribbled into the margins by previous Hogwarts students. In addition to humorous anecdotal facts relating to the spells, J.K. Rowling has written a conundrum that leads you through the experience, providing insight into what makes a successful witch or wizard, and inviting fans to journey through the book and unlock new tales at the end of each chapter rewarding students for their successful spell-casting.

You can read more here.

Book of Spells will be released in November, and you can watch a trailer for the game below.

UPDATED: Cnet released a look at the game in motion.

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent J.K. Rowling News

First Comment! Oh I can’t wait for this to come out!!!!!!!!

Posted by RavenclawGirl13 on June 05, 2012, 07:50 PM report to moderator
The-two-hardest-things-to-say-in-life-are-hello-for-the-first-time-and-goodbye-for-the-last_thumb

second! yay!

Images simulated. Actual images appear on screen" dammit!

Posted by pottermate on June 05, 2012, 09:11 PM report to moderator
Casualvacanycover_2266306a_thumb

SOUNDS SO COOL…but i don’t have a PS3 :(

Posted by Catherine ( *SQUEE!*) on June 05, 2012, 10:00 PM report to moderator
Ron-and-hermione_thumb

this one’s really amazing if you ask me!

Now, if only I have a PS3…

Posted by lovelle on June 05, 2012, 10:47 PM report to moderator
Imagescad1mlxa_thumb

omg I may need to get a PS3 just so i can get this game!

Posted by muggle..andproudofit =:) on June 05, 2012, 11:40 PM report to moderator
Eeyorescrollsparky_thumb

I’m sure it’ll be great, but I’m rubish at that sort of thing and don’t have PS3 anyway. Oh well. I hope someone will provide some way for the rest of us to find out what the new content is – that’s all I care about anyway.

Posted by Eeyore on June 06, 2012, 02:38 AM report to moderator
Hpphotoshop_thumb

Hmm not too sure about all this… Seems all too digital for me. Would rather just have the real book rather than some game

Posted by Calum Wilson (RuneDream54) on June 06, 2012, 05:11 AM report to moderator
Thank_you_thumb

I love the prospect of new content, but I don’t have a PS3. Do you reckon she’ll put the information on Pottermore too?

Posted by Livi22-((ROAR!)) on June 06, 2012, 07:18 AM report to moderator
Keeper_thumb

I don’t have a PS3, so I guess I’ll be missing out on this. I agree with Calum Wilson, I’d rather have the book.

Posted by AvanelleWood on June 06, 2012, 11:15 AM report to moderator
Raven_avatar_thumb

More ways to empty my bank account…

Posted by Won_Two on June 06, 2012, 11:40 AM report to moderator
Tumblr_myzun5xhwu1tp4ll0o4_r1_250_thumb

I wish I had a PS3… This looks amazing!

Posted by horcruxhunter7 on June 06, 2012, 06:37 PM report to moderator
Ron-and-hermione_thumb

I just heard some opinions from Mugglecast… and they have good points about this…. But I do think the game is still pretty cool! :D

Posted by lovelle on June 14, 2012, 07:12 PM report to moderator

I wonder what the new writing is?

Posted by hogwarts-is-my-home on July 12, 2012, 03:58 PM report to moderator

"I'd take you on anytime on my own," said Malfoy. "Tonight, if you want. Wizard's duel. Wands only -- no contact. What's the matter? Never heard of a wizard's duel before, I suppose?"