"Chamber of Secrets" to Open on Pottermore "Sometime This Summer"

J.K. Rowling
Posted by: Mel
June 11, 2012, 07:07 PM

We've been getting pretty regular updates on how Pottermore is progressing with "Chamber of Secrets," but now, thanks to Pottermore's chief technical officer, Julian Thomas, we know that "Chamber of Secrets" will open "sometime this summer." Thomas also mentioned that "some Far Eastern languages" would be added so that more people will be able to enjoy Pottermore.

Additionally, Thomas spoke to the downtime that plagued Pottermore when it originally opened to beta testing:

Pottermore was announced to great fanfare in June. But the challenges mounted shortly after the site was launched its beta test version in July. The beta testers were let in a bit at a time, and was capped at a million people.

Still, "we found when we opened up to the world that the architecture wasn't enough to accommodate the massive demand," said Julian Thomas, Pottermore's chief technical officer.

The site, which had originally been thought of as primarily a way to deliver Rowling's new content, originally ran on Windows Server and SQL Server. But as the concept developed, more rich, interactive content was added.

When the beta version launched, and hundreds of thousands of people wanted in -- especially at peak times such as when new content was added -- some of the rich features had to be turned off in order to keep the website working, Thomas said.

The Pottermore techies quickly realized that they would need a way of scaling up to accommodate a huge worldwide audience, as well as a way to more flexibly handle peaks of demand.

Because of those technical challenges, the site, which was generally expected to go live in October, didn't then.

When Thomas started working at Pottermore in November, "I knew we needed something quick. Expectations were already not being met," he said. "I realized the cloud was the solution>"

He looked at a number of cloud providers but decided on Microsoft's Azure for its capability and since Pottermore had already been using the company's services.

Pottermore launched to the public on Azure in April. Within two weeks, it had a billion page impressions. Nearly 3 million people have registered on the site and been "sorted" into Hogwart's four houses. Including the beta testers, the site has had about 10 million unique visitors, Thomas said.

You can read more of the article here.

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent J.K. Rowling News

Da1a_thumb

It wouldn’t be worth it if you had to pay for it…but you don’t and some of the content is really good…I LOVE the McGonagal back story! It’s worth a shot…if you don’t like it, don’t get back on!

Posted by Rin68nyr on June 13, 2012, 04:26 PM report to moderator

If you want everything right now Pottermore is not for you, but if you love everything about Harry Potter it is definitely for you. Learning the spells, and dueling with others, and making potions are great. @Grindylow_101 is right, this isn’t a virtual world. I’ve been at Pottermore since April 2012 and I’m glad they haven’t had all the books finished because it actually gives me something to look forward to.

Posted by SwordProphecy4123 on June 13, 2012, 04:40 PM report to moderator

I wish they would work on more than one book at a time!!! I think by the time they get to the later books it will be months or maybe a year in between books!….the earlier books only have 20 or so chapters….the later books have 30-40….they need to learn how to be fast on releasing or they will lose a lot of people…

Posted by jordanricke on June 13, 2012, 11:52 PM report to moderator

People, relax…You say you’re disappointed now…but imagine what I’d be like if they posted all the content and all the books at the same time…you’d have explored them in just a few days and you’d have said yet again “oh, I’m bored!”…come on, have a little patience! Remember how much we waited for the books when they were coming out, remember the excitement??…now it’s the same, so just enjoy the feeling of “unexpected new stuff” and let pottermore be! :)))

Posted by CatrinJane on June 14, 2012, 06:42 PM report to moderator
Flowers1_thumb

I love the extra content Pottermore provides. I wish we could access the books sooner…but we have to learn to be patient. Hopefully when it gets to bigger books they will release chapters as they become complete instead of waiting for the whole book to be complete before release. That would make more sense to me anyway….

Posted by purplehogwarts on June 18, 2012, 07:18 AM report to moderator
Flowers1_thumb

Ravenclaw78, I really hope other interactive game-like features will be added with new books. Guess we will just have to wait and see!

Posted by purplehogwarts on June 18, 2012, 07:21 AM report to moderator
Hp_thumb

@PurleHogwarts – It would be nice to have a reason to come back to the site. Here’s hoping!

@CatrinJane – I agree with you. It would be nice if they had some sort of time table to share with us. I know the first one took a while to get all of the kinks worked out, but it would be nice if they said every x months, we’re going to release a new book. Even if it was every 4 months, that would still drag it out for a while but not be SO long in between that we lose interest.

I love the extra content (wish there was more!) & it gives HP fans a much-needed Harry Potter fix.

Posted by Ravenclaw78 on June 19, 2012, 11:59 AM report to moderator
R_final_thumb

There is still that “locked” symbol on the upper left hand side. I for one am betting that it’s Hogsmeade, and won’t be open until POA comes out. You will navigate it just like Diagon Ally, probably.

Posted by StrikeWing17971 on June 19, 2012, 10:09 PM report to moderator

I think that pottermore was a very brilliant idea, it was more that what I expected. I was not expecting something like this… I never get bored of making potions, duelling, and finding more objects. Right now especialy, I go on alot, because the house cup will be awarded on july 5th, and I really want my house to win! I cant wait for the chamber of secrets!

Posted by Ginny1212 on June 27, 2012, 02:42 PM report to moderator

I mostly look forward to the new writing from Jo!

Posted by hogwarts-is-my-home on July 12, 2012, 03:03 PM report to moderator

"Welcome to a new year at Hogwarts! Before we begin our banquet, I would like to say a few words. And here they are: Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!"