Daniel Radcliffe Interviewed on the Set of "Kill Your Darlings"

News
Posted by: Catherine
May 31, 2012, 07:58 PM

Daniel Radcliffe was interviewed on the set of his new movie, "Kill Your Darlings". In the interview with The Advocate, Daniel Radcliffe answered questions about his involvement in the Trevor Project, his latest movie projects in the supernatural genre, and why he chose to play the role of Allen Ginsberg in "Kill Your Darlings". You can read excerpts of the interview below:

The Advocate: The Woman in Black is the first film you made since the Potter franchise ended. Did you have any hesitation about making another movie within the horror-fantasy genre?

Daniel Radcliffe: I said to myself, if I rule out any script that had remotely any fantasy element, I’d be cutting myself off from a huge amount of amazing work.

There are so many films that could be deemed as having heightened paranormal elements to them, which could just be magical realism or a ghost story, which isn’t really the same feeling as Potter. I decided not to let that impinge on my decision-making.

What specifically appealed to you about the film?

For me it was a chance to do something that’s genuinely different and that I thought people wouldn’t be expecting and that I wasn’t expecting. If you’d said to me that the first film I’d do after finishing the last Potter would be a horror film, I wouldn’t have believed you.

You mentioned the 1946 fantasy A Matter of Life and Death. I’m impressed that you’re so film-literate.

That’s my favorite film. There are gaps in my film knowledge. I’ve never seen Star Wars and stuff like that. But A Matter of Life and Death I think is one of the greatest showings of what imagination in cinema can do, with no visual effects, really. It was a brilliant story and brilliantly acted. David Niven is the most impossibly charming man in the world in that film and always. It’s just a brilliant film.

This is director John Krokidas’s first feature film. What convinced you to take this leap of faith with a novice filmmaker?

You obviously haven’t met John. [Laughs] John is one of the most passionate people you could ever meet. For me this is an exceptional script. The scenes were almost completely devoid of exposition, yet the story was always being moved along and any information being given out in those scenes is given as information about the characters and not just handed out for the audience to understand. It’s a brilliantly written script. You meet John and he has such unwavering belief in this project and he’s enthusiastic and fun and I thought, Yes, I want to dive in with you and make this happen.

Last year you received the Trevor Project’s Hero Award. The founder of Trevor Project said that you actually reached out to them to become involved with the organization. Why was this important to you?

Finding out about Trevor Project through friends at that time just seemed perfect. I wanted to be of service and help, and I’m just incredibly proud that I’m able to. I do get people coming up to me and saying – I’d say at least five or six times each week someone will come up to me and say, "Thank you for what you do for the Trevor Project." It’s amazing that you’re able to effect a positive change just by being you and talking about things that you feel strongly about. I’m just very proud to be a part of it.

The entire interview can be read here.

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent News News

Raven_avatar_thumb

Very interesting that…

Posted by Won_Two on May 31, 2012, 08:20 PM report to moderator

:OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OMG DAN IS SOOOO FREEEAAAKING EPICCCCCCCC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! OMG I LOVE HIM SO MUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I LOVE HOW HE IS SO PASSIONATE ABOUT BEING YOURSELF AND STANDING UP FOR WHAT YOU BELIEVE IN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :OOOOOOOOOOOO

Posted by katelyner123 on May 31, 2012, 09:13 PM report to moderator
Tumblr_mhtdm2xtoo1r5souzo7_250_thumb
20981 Points

Really Dan, you have never seen Star Wars? O.o you my charming friend, are missing some amazing films there, and depriving yourself of hours of happiness. Nice interview though.

Posted by LunaLuver on May 31, 2012, 09:37 PM report to moderator
Wig4_thumb

That’s interesting to read!

Posted by Fleur-de- Lily on June 01, 2012, 04:54 AM report to moderator

WOOT WOOT Go Dan- you don;t need Star Wars to be epic, like me- you need Harry Potter :DDDDDDDDD

Posted by katelyner123 on June 01, 2012, 01:17 PM report to moderator

Dan, if you see this some day, I want to tell you how proud I am of you and how much you inspire me. I would love to meet you one day and talk about our views of life because from interviews and quotes, we live our lives along pretty much the same lines. :DDD God bless you, Dan!!!

Posted by katelyner123 on June 01, 2012, 01:19 PM report to moderator
Got-hogwarts_houses_thumb

Very good interview, and well worth reading the whole thing.

I have a lot of admiration for people who stand up on behalf of oppressed groups to which they belong, but perhaps even more for people who take a stand even when it isn’t their ox that’s being gored. Bravo for you, Mr. Radcliffe.

Posted by WeenyOwl {The Human Deluminator} on June 01, 2012, 01:52 PM report to moderator
Naughty_galaxy_thumb

What an amazing young man he is, he is very much his own man, no one is going to tell him what he should think, and because he is also very articulate he really can make people sit up and listen to what he has to say. I admire him greatly for his support for the Trevor project and I believe that he can really help make a difference. Well done Daniel.

Posted by moglet [ITC!] on June 01, 2012, 04:05 PM report to moderator
Harry_potter__hbp_promo__3_thumb

Great job,Dan!

Posted by forgetmenot_007 on June 02, 2012, 03:28 AM report to moderator

Neville had heaved himself over the back of the next thestral and was now attempting to swing one short leg over the creature's back. Luna was already in place, sitting sidesaddle and adjusting her robes as though she did this every day.