JKRowling.com Update: No Plans to Publish Harry Potter Encyclopedia

JKRowling.com
Posted by: Edward
May 22, 2012, 01:39 PM

In an update on J. K. Rowling's website, the author makes quite clear that plans to publish a physical copy of a Harry Potter Encyclopaedia are not on the horizon.  The entry, updated May 2012, reads:

What about the Harry Potter Encyclopaedia?
Updated May 2012
I have been enjoying sharing information about Harry’s world on Pottermore for free, and don’t have any firm plans to publish it in book form.
This statement replaces the April update on her website where she said "For a long time I have been promising an encyclopaedia of Harry’s world, and I have started work on this now – some of it forms the new content in Pottermore. It is likely to be a time-consuming job, but when finished I shall donate all royalties to charity."

Thanks to Becca for the heads up!

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent JKRowling.com News

Prophecy_thumb

I guess those of us who are too sick to work and can’t afford a computer that can stand up to Pottermore are s.o.l. I feel loved.

Posted by DeliaDee on May 22, 2012, 02:50 PM report to moderator
Rofr10_thumb

I think “no firm plans” probably doesn’t change anything except to dampen down expectations a bit. I don’t think the Scottish Book will appear until after Pottermore reaches book 7, as I would imagine Pottermore will have first call on the information, and Jo will wait until then to see whether there is enough new things left to justify a book.
I do hope the book will appear eventually as I am not convinced Pottermore can reveal everything that Jo has to tell us.

Posted by roonwit on May 22, 2012, 03:03 PM report to moderator
Omt1_thumb

(Sigh) May I live lolng enough to see said encyclopedia in print.

OMT

Posted by OldMrToad on May 22, 2012, 03:45 PM report to moderator

WHAT? ..
But, but, but.. She said she was going to. D:

Posted by Magical Arts on May 22, 2012, 04:13 PM report to moderator

OMG go HP o. o OMG THE WOMAN IN BLACK COMES OUT TODAY AND I WILL GET IT AND FREAK OUT AND CRY!!!! I LOVE YOU DAN I WILL ALWAYS SUPPORT YOU!

Posted by katelyner123 on May 22, 2012, 04:13 PM report to moderator
Thank_you_thumb

I agree with roonwit in that I think JKR will wait until DH is out on Pottermore and then decide whether it is actually worth all of the time it takes to compile all the information and all the money and effort in publishing it, especially if all the information has already been released. I would love to be able to hold an actual ink and paper book in my hands, and to be able to look at it whenever I wanted without the hassle of logging in and out of Pottemore and having to search (not to mention needing Wi-Fi) for the relevant information, I suppose that as long as it’s there for me to explore at my convenience, we haven’t really got anything to complain about.

Posted by Livi22-((ROAR!)) on May 22, 2012, 04:16 PM report to moderator
Tumblr_myzun5xhwu1tp4ll0o4_r1_250_thumb

NO!!! D’:

Posted by horcruxhunter7 on May 22, 2012, 04:20 PM report to moderator
Naughty_galaxy_thumb

I’ll be very disappointed if she never writes the encyclopedia, not so long ago it seemed as if she had every intention of doing it which was quite exciting, so now it feels extra disappointing as I’d really got my hopes up.

Posted by moglet [ITC!] on May 22, 2012, 04:31 PM report to moderator

I’m very disappointed as well, for two reasons…

Firstly because we won’t have the book.

Secondly because she blocked the HP Lexicon’s book from being published as it would compete with her own book. Kind of makes all the legal wrangling a waste of time.

Posted by AndyM on May 22, 2012, 05:45 PM report to moderator

Though I’d really like to have the encyclopedia in print, what makes me really pissed about Pottermore is how all the information is tied to the plot line, and unfindable if you’re not exactly sure where Pottermore decided to put it! If Pottermore made an encyclopedia section, THAT would make me happy.

Posted by synesthete28 on May 22, 2012, 05:57 PM report to moderator

This is very disappointing. For years I’ve been waiting for the encyclopedia because she said she would and now I find that it won’t be published, just somewhat shared through Pottermore. Pottermore is nice and all but I think a lot of people were really counting on having an actual, physical book to carry around and read all the background and extra information about the Potter world.

Posted by Ratorr on May 22, 2012, 06:17 PM report to moderator
Casualvacanycover_2266306a_thumb

awe, i have to say i’m a little disappointed. i’m one of those people who have yet to accept the electronic book era—i like the physical book!

Posted by Catherine ( *SQUEE!*) on May 22, 2012, 06:18 PM report to moderator
Casualvacanycover_2266306a_thumb

Posted by Catherine ( *SQUEE!*) on May 22, 2012, 06:18 PM report to moderator
Vdpqtmg_thumb

Well I’m not really disappointed. I’ll wait until she wants to publish the book. I’m with Puffmione, I may be only 13 but I’m one of those people who enjoys having a physical book in their hand with paper and an actual cover rather than on e-books.

Posted by Acciobrooms on May 22, 2012, 10:02 PM report to moderator
Tumblr_n28b4fpncl1qan42po2_r1_250_thumb
20962 Points

Well, was a disappointment. All these promises of actually writing the book, basically stringing us along, now she wants to take the easy way out. Just laziness on JKR part if you ask me. Oh, she’ll publish it soon or later, probably when she decides her bank account doesnt have enough zeros.

Posted by LunaLuver on May 22, 2012, 10:13 PM report to moderator

Issue 28 - Apr. 2014

He imagined himself explaining that he couldn't do the task... He could almost hear Fleur Delacour saying [i]"I knew it... 'e is too young, 'e is only a little boy."[/i] He saw Malfoy flashing his [i]POTTER STINKS[/i] badge at the front of the crowd, saw