Harry Potter E-Books Sell Over 1 Million Pounds in Three Days

Books
Posted by: Mel
April 07, 2012, 10:39 PM

The recently opened Pottermore Shop is reporting that during the first three days they were in operation they made 1 million pounds from the sales of the Harry Potter e-books:

"We had budgeted for a much lower figure, I had looked at the physical sales of the books, and tried to anticipate what proportion of sales would be digital, and that there was a certain amount of pent-up demand, but it surpassed anything we anticipated," said Redmayne. The first three novels cost £4.99 in ebook form, the final four are priced at £6.99 in ebook and all seven can be purchased in a bundled digital edition for £38.64.

The sales of Rowling's ebooks have now "settled down" but continue to exceed expectations. "It is still running at a much higher rate than I was anticipating, even for the launch. It is still surpassing anything I've ever seen for e-book sales," said Redmayne. "Everything that Harry Potter does surpasses expectations. We had planned for something that we just couldn't anticipate."

You can read the rest of the article here.

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Books News

Tumblr_mhtdm2xtoo1r5souzo7_250_thumb
20981 Points

I must say, I dont see what all he fuss is about the ebooks. You can get all 7 books on nook, and thatd been for quite a while now. So whats the difference? What makes this so special? Not that I’m not thrilled at HP doing wonderfully, I just dont see why the ebooks are better.

Posted by LunaLuver on April 08, 2012, 02:03 AM report to moderator
The_wanted_comic_relief_thumb

@LL: I agree completely.
It might be a good thing in the sense that those who can’t be bothered to carry a book might actually manage to read one!

Posted by Grindylow_101: Avis Mauvais Malfoy=:) on April 08, 2012, 05:15 AM report to moderator
Ikawalo_thumb

wow..1.59 million! but i prefer to have the “true books”
those ebook can be simply erase but the “true books” are not (maybe if someone burn it but a fan won’t let it to be happen of course)..

Posted by tjerriam on April 08, 2012, 05:38 AM report to moderator
6-8b2a0dac50cab1dc7808800c700d3762_thumb_thumb

That’s incredible! I’m so tempted to download them on my kindle because I don’t have room for all of them on my shelf when I’m at uni, but can’t really afford to at the moment. Also my first book smells AMAZING and everytime I smell the pages I get instantly transported to the world of HP, don’t think I could ever give that up :P

Posted by teamtonks on April 08, 2012, 06:27 AM report to moderator

WOOT WOOT! That’s my Harry Potter!!!!!! I’m so proud….. lol Although I prefer real books rather than eBooks, I am still so proud at my series :)

KEEP BEING EPIC HP, YOU ARE THE BEST AT IT!!!!!
Posted by katelyner123 on April 08, 2012, 07:53 AM report to moderator
Raven_avatar_thumb

I prefer my printed volumes & my audio books…

Posted by Won_Two on April 08, 2012, 12:04 PM report to moderator
Omt1_thumb

Well, lessee here… I got ’em all in the American version (Scholastic) The UK version (Bloomsbury) Spanish version (Salamandra)… All read multiple times. Why not get ’em in the Ebook (Kindle)… Can read ’em yet again…

Just wish the ‘Scottish book’ would become reality. Maybe Pottermore will have something like it??? If it ever is opened to us unwashed. (sigh)
OMT

Posted by OldMrToad on April 08, 2012, 12:05 PM report to moderator
Thank_you_thumb

Well, I’ll never be a massive fan of ebooks but hey, if more people are reading Potter (and just books in general) then I’m not going to complain!!!!

Posted by Livi22-((ROAR!)) on April 08, 2012, 03:47 PM report to moderator
Tumblr_myzun5xhwu1tp4ll0o4_r1_250_thumb

Well, being directly related to someone who is against ebooks as a part of the job I definitely don’t think that they’re better but I’m still really happy that the store’s going well and everyone will be able to go on Pottermore soon!

Posted by horcruxhunter7 on April 08, 2012, 05:49 PM report to moderator

I don’t use ebooks and don’t think I am ever going to do it either, but it’s great that more people is reading Harry Potter.
I got enough with the Harry Potter books I already have. :)

Posted by Magical Arts on April 08, 2012, 06:56 PM report to moderator
Timeturner2_thumb

i won’t be buying the ebooks either, i am not going to replace my books. also teamtonks, i’m glad that i am not the only one who smells the books, lol. :-)

Posted by mariakingsford on April 09, 2012, 05:40 AM report to moderator
Hpphotoshop_thumb

I’m not buying the ebooks for several reason: I already own the books, I prefer physical books and that is quite a high price for ebooks imo

Posted by Calum Wilson (RuneDream54) on April 09, 2012, 07:13 PM report to moderator
Ron-and-hermione_thumb

that’s so amazing! truly amazing! Harry Potter fans never fail! :D

Posted by lovelle on April 10, 2012, 02:06 AM report to moderator
377029_1659854834071_1768172201_813069_1187891830_n_1__thumb

HP fans will always support it in whatever form it comes :) that being said, I am not a fan of e-books, I am sort of old fashioned in that way. I will stick to good old fashioned books, nothing can replace the thrill of turning a page, the smell of paper, just the whole experience :)))

Posted by mencia on April 11, 2012, 07:30 AM report to moderator

They always seem to underestimate the power of Harry Potter. People have been waiting for the e-book version for years.

@LunaLuver
Yes, they’ve been out in different formats for a few years but those are illegal pirated copies of the books. These are the official e-book versions.

Posted by Ratorr on April 11, 2012, 10:56 AM report to moderator

Hagrid was wearing his best (and very horrible) hairy brown suit, plus a checked yellow-and-orange tie. This wasn't the worst of it, though; he had evidently tried to tame his hair, using large quantities of what appeared to be axle grease. It was now sli