J.K. Rowling to be Awarded Freedom of the City of London on May 8

J.K. Rowling
Posted by: Stephanie_J
April 26, 2012, 10:00 AM

J.K. Rowling will receive the Freedom of the City of London on Tuesday, May 8 for her services to children's literature, according to a press release from the City of London.

The ceremony will take place at the Mansion House, the official residence of London's Lord Mayor. She will read aloud the Declaration of a Freeman and be presented with a framed parchment certificate.

In a statement, Ms. Rowling spoke of what the award means to her and some special perks:

“Both my parents were Londoners.  They met on a train departing from King’s Cross Station in 1964, and while neither of them ever lived in London again, both their daughters headed straight for the capital the moment that they were independent.  To me, London is packed with personal memories, but it has never lost the aura of excitement and mystery that it had during trips to see family as a child.
“I am prouder than I can say to be given the Freedom of the City, which, on top of all the known benefits (and few people realize this), entitles me to a free pint in The Leaky Cauldron and a ten Galleon voucher to spend in Diagon Alley.”

The Freedom of the City of London can be traced back to 1237. Today, people are presented with the award because it offers them a link with the historic City of London and one of its ancient traditions.

Thank you to In Honor of Rowling for the tip!

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent J.K. Rowling News

This is very exciting, and I’m very happy for her! Congratulations JK! :)

Posted by bellahawthorne on April 26, 2012, 10:37 AM report to moderator
Raven_avatar_thumb

How very lovely!

Posted by Won_Two on April 26, 2012, 10:48 AM report to moderator
Hpphotoshop_thumb

I’m very happy for her! She definitely deserves it

Posted by Calum Wilson (RuneDream54) on April 26, 2012, 11:06 AM report to moderator
Hedwig_avatar_thumb

Congratulations, Jo, for being awarded the Freedom of the City of London, you’ ve proved your worth many times over.

Posted by Graymayne on April 26, 2012, 02:27 PM report to moderator
Ravenpuff_thumb

Isn’t she just amazing! I can never stop being inspired by her.

Posted by Ravenpuffmax on April 26, 2012, 03:26 PM report to moderator

She is soooo amazing and deserves this by far! She deserves all the awards in the world and I am so glad to see that she is still getting awards for her masterpiece invention that has changed the lives of ever single person alive, in great ways even if they dotn know it. For me, if Harry Potter wasnt in my life, I wouldnt be the person I was. We still need to thank her for giving us our lives and beating everything ever made! ( Especially Twilight and the Hunger Games!! ;P)

Posted by katelyner123 on April 26, 2012, 04:10 PM report to moderator
Casualvacanycover_2266306a_thumb

Hahaha—got to love Jo’s humor :) Congrats!!!

Posted by Catherine ( *SQUEE!*) on April 26, 2012, 04:12 PM report to moderator
Imagescad1mlxa_thumb

Kudos 4 JK!

Posted by muggle..andproudofit =:) on April 26, 2012, 08:37 PM report to moderator
Tumblr_mhtdm2xtoo1r5souzo7_250_thumb
20981 Points

Congrats JKR! Well deserved, if I do say so myself. :)

Posted by LunaLuver on April 27, 2012, 12:41 AM report to moderator
423928_2979823569581_1081661667_32966780_333709726_n_thumb

Congratulations Ms. Rowling, London must’ve been a charming place to visit.

Posted by Gene *ROAR* on April 27, 2012, 03:45 AM report to moderator
Hogwarts_thumb

Congratulations, it’s well deserved! :)

Posted by Magic Moon on April 27, 2012, 04:04 PM report to moderator
9c4f419901ab145bf06cc1340624a6b6_thumb
2077 Points

Congrats, Jo! :) Well done and well deserved! Keep up the fantastic work!!!!!

Posted by MissWeasley8 on April 27, 2012, 10:26 PM report to moderator

Congratulations Jo! You certainly made a big difference in my life and the only award I can bestow is to buy your books and pass them on to the children in my life.

Posted by hewy on April 28, 2012, 02:16 PM report to moderator
Vdpqtmg_thumb

I don’t know what that title means yet as I haven’t heard of it before an DJ have yet to Google it but still anyways congratulations to her! She deserves it.

Posted by Acciobrooms on May 02, 2012, 01:05 AM report to moderator
Ron-and-hermione_thumb

Cool! Congrats JK Rowling!

Posted by lovelle on May 06, 2012, 12:53 AM report to moderator

"Congratulations, Harry!" she said, beaming at him. "I wonder if you could give me a quick word? How you felt facing that dragon? How you feel [i]now[/i], about the fairness of the scoring?"[br]"Yeah, you can have a word," said Harry savagely. [i]"Good-by

Issue 28 - Aug. 2014