Pottermore Shop Now Open, Harry Potter eBooks and Digital Audio Books Available for First Time

Books
Posted by: Stephanie_J
March 27, 2012, 09:08 AM

The official Pottermore shop was launched this morning, marking the first time that the Harry Potter books are available to buy in an eBook and digital audio book format.

This will be the only place to purchase digital copies of the Harry Potter series, which will be available in all formats for eReaders, tablets, smartphones and mp3 players.

The eBooks for Years 1-3 are available for $7.99, while Years 4-7 are priced at $9.99. Or, the complete series can be purchased for $57.54.

Digital audio books for Years 1-3 will cost $29.99, and Years 4-7 is priced at $44.99. The complete Harry Potter audio collection can be purchased for $ 242.94.

Even though the Pottermore shop is now open, Pottermore remains in beta. It's expected to open to everyone in April.

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Books News

WOOT WOOT!!!!!!!!!!!!! GO HP!!!!!! We already have the physical books but I’m glad it’s available to those that read or listen electronically!!!!! :DDD

Posted by katelyner123 on March 27, 2012, 04:36 PM report to moderator
Tumblr_mhtdm2xtoo1r5souzo7_250_thumb
20981 Points

The price isnt bad at all. I wont be buying simply because I dont need them, I prefer the actually books. But its nice that they’re finally out for people who have been waiting. :)

Posted by LunaLuver on March 27, 2012, 05:08 PM report to moderator

I purchased the whole series this morning, though it wouldn’t take my Mastercard. I liked the connect with Kindle, Nook, etc, but was disappointed there wasn’t one to Apple iBooks (I’m guessing because Apple would only do it with the books in their store and their 30% cut). That said, it’s a bit of a security hole…I have seven epub books that, theoretically, I could give to anyone. And with 8 downloads per book available, you could hook them to each device noted and still get the epub version. Given how hot they’ve always been with secrecy and piracy, you’d think they’d have done more to lock them up (though I guess, five years after DH was released, it’s not as big a concern?)

Posted by kmac23va on March 27, 2012, 07:25 PM report to moderator
38641_1283836710181_1658030608_597429_3013172_s_thumb

Does anyone know if buying the complete set means that all of the books come up as one massive file in your library, or if they’re divided separately? Because all seven together would be a bit cumbersome to navigate, I’d rather have them individually. If anyone knows, that would be great! :)

Posted by KelseyL on March 27, 2012, 07:52 PM report to moderator
Imagescad1mlxa_thumb

Cool, I m still a paper book person though,!!

Posted by muggle..andproudofit =:) on March 27, 2012, 08:38 PM report to moderator

@KelseyL – I just bought the collection (Yay!!) and they came up a 7 individuial files for me to download to my Nook. Hope that helps. :)

Posted by Blanchflorr on March 27, 2012, 09:33 PM report to moderator

Cannot contain my emotions. . . .

Posted by . on March 28, 2012, 01:05 AM report to moderator
Img_0271_thumb

Actually, the pricing is quite reasonable. Just to be able to take the books with me on my iPad or iPhone is wonderful. I just purchased the entire collection and very pleased with the purchase. I already own audiobooks 1-4 through iTunes and have been putting off getting the 5-7 until pottermore opened up. The prices for the audiobooks are actually cheaper than iTunes and they offer book 7 which previously was not available except on CDs. iTunes never carried the last book. So, I’m really excited to have made my first (but not last) purchase there today!! Can’t wait for the rest of the site to open up but it was very easy to navigate and they have these wonderful help videos too!

Posted by mabolick on March 28, 2012, 03:55 AM report to moderator
Petunia2_thumb

Not TOO bad for the pricing, there… I think the books being on Pottermore is a good sign that it will be opening to the masses, very soon. I hope they release the second book to explore, too!

Posted by Mad But Happy on March 28, 2012, 09:29 AM report to moderator
Rainbow_brite_thumb

@Feorge I haven’t tried it but apparently you can send a gift of the UK books to yourself and get them that way. I’m tempted to try it too when I get home. US and UK books – I think I’m addicted to Harry Potter :D

Posted by Flitzy on March 28, 2012, 10:24 AM report to moderator

These prices are excellent, especially since they’re Harry Potter. I would have paid $15 for each book, just so that I could take them anywhere. I’ll be buying very soon.

Posted by tob2007 on March 28, 2012, 10:37 AM report to moderator
Nargle_thumb

I can’t wait to get them! It’s very hard to lug them all around in a book bag, not to mention bad for my back. :D

Posted by Blame The Nargles on March 28, 2012, 11:21 AM report to moderator

Great, but I dont use eBooks and got all of the HP books, both in english and norwegian. I am happy with what I got :)

Posted by Magical Arts on March 28, 2012, 11:57 AM report to moderator
Blue_sun_med_thumb

I may be able to shed some light for those of you with some questions about security and the files themselves. I purchased the ebooks last night as a set for the discounted price. I was happy to see that the single group purchase actually turns into seven individual books with 8 available downloads each. My first download for each book was to link each one to my Amazon Kindle account. When I turned on my iPhone and iPad and launched my Kindle app, the books showed up automatically. Sweet. I still have 7 available downloads. I could download the generic ePub format and import that into iBooks on my iPad if I chose, or I could read it using any of the other available eReaders. For security, they chose what is almost a retro method of encryption which I was very pleased to see return. They encode each book with a unique ID of the person who purchased it. So, if it turns up on the internet and a million people have a copy, they know precisely where it came from and who to take action against. The old eReader website used to do something similar. It’s nice because it gives you the freedom to read the books in any way you deem useable for you while giving them some version of security. I was exceedingly pleased with this method as I can freely download all the books to my Kindle app now, and later if I every abandon the Kindle format I can redownload the book into a new reader format. I’ve been reading e-books for many years, before Kindle came around. I have scores of books in a dozen different ereader programs. The ability to import into the one you are using now is a great feature. The Pottermore Shop being open early was appreciated, I almost missed the link on the bottom right corner of the page when I went looking for it. Their security measures are a tad annoying but they are doing a decent job of making it easy, simple and as widely accessable as possible. If you’ve been waiting for the eBooks like I have, I recommend grabbing them. They did a nice job all around. I am happy to have a little HP in my pocket at all times now.

Posted by gizzmogeek on March 28, 2012, 02:55 PM report to moderator
Wig4_thumb

Finally it’s here! :)

Posted by Fleur-de- Lily on March 29, 2012, 06:02 AM report to moderator

"I'm going with -- with Neville. He asked me when Hermione said no, and I thought... well... I'm not going to be able to go otherwise, I'm not in fourth year." She looked extremely miserable. "I think I'll go and have dinner," she said, and she got up and