J. K. Rowling Is No Longer a Billionaire

J.K. Rowling
Posted by: Mel
March 10, 2012, 06:51 PM

J. K. Rowling isn't a billionaire any longer due to the fact that she has given a reported $160 million to various charities and, of course, to her taxes:

The billionaires club has hit J.K. Rowling with a banishing spell. According to the newly updated Forbes Rich List, the Harry Potter author has gone from billionaire to millionaire (several hundred times over, of course). She apparently broke a few rules of how to stay rich by giving away a lot of her fortune — reportedly $160 million of it — to charity and by paying her top-rung British taxes.
There’s no way that the socially minded Rowling, who once lived on welfare, gives two Quaffles about her standing on the list, and no one should shed a tear over a stratospherically rich woman becoming slightly less so. But I always liked knowing that an author of imaginative, timeless, honest-to-goodness books became a billionaire.
You can read the rest of the article here.

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent J.K. Rowling News

Thank_you_thumb

I don’t give a damn how much money she’s got, she’s a wonderful woman and an inspiration to us all, whether she’s a billionaire, trillionaire, gazillionaire or entirely penniless!

Posted by Livi22-((ROAR!)) on March 12, 2012, 08:18 AM report to moderator
Hedwig_thumb

She’s one of the most modest, generous person that I’ve ever heard of, honestly XD

Posted by Hedwig_Lives on March 12, 2012, 11:11 AM report to moderator
Casualvacanycover_2266306a_thumb

I couldnt be more proud of Jo! The reasons for her being a millionaire means so much more than her status of billionaire author!

Posted by Catherine ( *SQUEE!*) on March 12, 2012, 02:49 PM report to moderator
Caffeine_thumb

While I thought it was kind of cool that she was the first person to be come a billionaire from being an author, I think it’s even more important and awesome that she has given money to charity. After all, it’s not as though her books are any less wonder based on her not being a billionaire anymore.

Posted by Ani Sharmin on March 12, 2012, 03:47 PM report to moderator

Does it really matter if she’s a billionare or not? But I’m glad to her donations made news! It deserves to be! You’re an amazayn person, Jo! (:

Posted by . on March 12, 2012, 07:57 PM report to moderator
08060009_thumb

Everybody go and see the rest of the article! It is HILARIOUS! And… I am sure it was left out on purpose. :))

Posted by CheeringCharm on March 12, 2012, 10:17 PM report to moderator

Re: whether or not she was a billionaire, I’m with roonwit. She told her documentary-maker that reports of her having [enough money to make her a dollar millionaire] were “bollocks”. So it might not be true that she ever was a billionaire in any sense of the word.

But as others have said, it’s irrelevant. She is an amazing, generous person who deserves all the good things in the world.

Posted by JoRowlingRocks on March 13, 2012, 05:34 PM report to moderator
423928_2979823569581_1081661667_32966780_333709726_n_thumb

To be honest her wealth is not the reason my interest is drawn towards her book, so I don’t mind.

Besides, wouldn’t it be best to spend your fortune this way rather than keeping it just for the sake of maintaining your reputation?

Posted by Gene *ROAR* on March 15, 2012, 11:41 AM report to moderator
Purple_crystal_wand_thumb_thumb

Good job J.K. Rowling.

Posted by Joy@Hogwarts on March 15, 2012, 01:53 PM report to moderator

It makes me so proud when a woman I admire, and has given the world so much, vindicates my respect for her by giving away even more! I love this fandom and J.K. Rowling made the whole thing possible. Thank you thank you! You’ll never lose my love here!

Posted by CloakKnight on March 17, 2012, 01:21 AM report to moderator
149638_103433969730594_2631787_n_thumb

I’m going to take another tack..
First… Love Jo, but I’m not surprised she’s so generous.
Second, it’s not fair to paint most wealthy people as selfish and scheming in the way they deal with their taxes and charities. You only hear about the small minority who do, because that is what is sensational and sells. The majority of wealthy people pay their taxes and give to charities and foundations. It’s just not reported because they like to keep their giving quiet (as does Jo) and they’re not as famous.

Posted by sessionka oom4 CW on March 17, 2012, 03:01 PM report to moderator
______thumb

she is kind ,as you can feel in her books

Posted by verna on March 18, 2012, 03:36 AM report to moderator

My role model.

Posted by Magical Arts on March 19, 2012, 12:54 PM report to moderator
Movies_ootp_premieries_imax_001_thumb

Long Live JK Rowling!

Posted by Azaad Potter The Chosen One [ROAR] on August 19, 2012, 09:55 AM report to moderator

[Snape] was blasting rosebushes apart, his expression most ill-natured. Squeals issued from many of the bushes, and dark shapes emerged from them.[br]"Ten points from Ravenclaw, Fawcett!" Snape snarled as a girl ran past him. "And ten points from Hufflepu