Emma Watson to Star in Sofia Coppola's "The Bling Ring"

Watson
Posted by: Mel
February 29, 2012, 07:01 PM

The Hollywood Reporter has confirmed that the next film Emma Watson makes will be "The Bling Ring," directed by Sofia Coppola:

Based on true events that took place in Beverly Hills, the movie will tell the story of a group of fashion and fame-obsessed teens who broke into the homes of celebrities.
With the movie, Coppola wants to reflect today’s culture of celebrity and reveal “reveal a sobering view of our modern culture,” according to the project’s producers,  which include Coppola, Roman Coppola and Youree Henley.
Watson will topline what will be an ensemble cast.
The movie will shoot this spring on location in Los Angeles.
In her post-Potter career, Watson, repped by WME and Markham, Froggatt & Irwin, is attached to a Beauty and the Beast project to be directed by Guillermo del Toro and the drama Your Voice in My Head, which would reunite her with director David Yates, who helmed many a Potter movies.

You can read more here.

Many thanks to Max for owling!

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Watson News

9c4f419901ab145bf06cc1340624a6b6_thumb
2077 Points

COOL! I WANT TO SEE EMMA BE THE BAD GIRL AT SOME POINT!

Posted by MissWeasley8 on February 29, 2012, 08:44 PM report to moderator
Harry-potter-galleon_thumb

I think this is a smart move for Emma. This will show people she is a very talented actress because most people only see here as Hermione because of the limited work outside of the Harry Potter franchise she has done. This is going to be a complete 180 from the character of Hermione. I am not sure how some of her younger fans are going to react to seeing her play this role. If they stay close to the reality of these criminals there is going to be sex, drugs, violence and robberies.

Posted by LegendMN007 on February 29, 2012, 08:59 PM report to moderator
Vdpqtmg_thumb

I’m gonna go see this one and Perks of Being a Wallflower and Beauty and the Beast and I’ll watch the one with David Yates. It seems that she and Dan are getting more roles but Rupert seems really left out. It’s like nobody wants him, he’s a pretty good actor and I can’t wait for the movie.

Posted by Acciobrooms on February 29, 2012, 09:19 PM report to moderator
Harry-potter-galleon_thumb

I think the one thing that will hold Rupert back is his hair color. Red heads actors really aren’t in demand in Hollywood. I did a quick google search for famous red heads. My results were mostly actresses but for males it was Rupert, Conan O’Brien and Carrot Top.

Posted by LegendMN007 on February 29, 2012, 09:32 PM report to moderator
Severus_x_2_thumb

I thought Rupert was going to be starring in an action adventure called ‘Into the White’?

Posted by Valeria-Johanna on March 01, 2012, 05:44 AM report to moderator
Wig4_thumb

That’s cool! :)

Posted by Fleur-de- Lily on March 01, 2012, 05:52 AM report to moderator
Fwooper1_thumb

I must say I’m looking forward to Emma’s new projects. She developed greatly during those Potter films and already showed she’s got what it takes. Coppola stands for quality directing so I’m sure the film will be good. However, if the rumour about “Your Voice in My Head” was true, that would be a truly fantastic opportunity for Emma in a lead role. The book is superb – and Emma Forrest is writing the script for the adaptation herself which is always good. I’m not sure about Yates though …. I’m not a fan at all I have to say and I’m not sure if he can handle the material …. on the other hand, he and Emma (Watson) got on really well so maybe that’s a start.

Posted by siena on March 01, 2012, 06:53 AM report to moderator
Naughty_galaxy_thumb

I shall look forward to seeing Emma in some more roles, I think they are all going to get a good chance to show that they can play roles beyond those that they are known for in HP.

Rupert is indeed starring in ‘Into the White’, a Norwegian made film, they had the trailer and a clip or two a couple of weeks ago. I think it gets its premiere in Oslo on March 9.

@LegendMN007 People can easily dye their hair; whatever colour hair you have can be right for some roles and wrong for others. James and Oliver Phelps don’t actually have red hair but had dyed in order to play Fred and George. And Hollywood is not the only place that makes films, there are a lot of films made in Europe, and they don’t rely on having conventionally attractive people.

Posted by moglet [ITC!] on March 01, 2012, 09:51 AM report to moderator
Got-hogwarts_houses_thumb

Of course, you can’t believe everything you read about celebrities, but from the interviews I’ve read, it would appear that Rupert Grint is much more of a laid-back, Type B personality compared to the much more ambitious and driven Emma Watson and Dan Radcliffe. It may be not so much that the studios aren’t coming after him as that he isn’t going after them. If I had his kind of money, I think I’d be content with making only one movie a year too!

Posted by WeenyOwl {The Human Deluminator} on March 01, 2012, 10:10 AM report to moderator
Emma_watson_drawing_thumb

Yay! That’s great news! XD

Posted by Grindylow_101 on March 01, 2012, 11:09 AM report to moderator
Tumblr_mhtdm2xtoo1r5souzo7_250_thumb
20981 Points

I’m looking forward to seeing Emma in all her upcoming roles. Just read about this one on E! actually, but its nice to see Leaky is up to speed with this. I truly dont see Rupert going as far as Dan and Emma will, he’ll probably make a few here and there but nothing compared to the other two. Rupert is an okay actor, but lets face it, Emma and Dan are ten times better.

Posted by LunaLuver on March 01, 2012, 04:12 PM report to moderator
Congrats, Emma! I am hoping to hear good things about her movie! When you think about it though, isn;t it kind of sad how Dan Rupert and Emma are all choosing their own paths and making different movies? I wish they would be in another movie together, that would be amazing, but, once again, that is probably just the Harry Potter fanatic coming out in me. LOL Anyways, Emma will do a fantastic job, I am sure of it. :D
Posted by katelyner123 on March 01, 2012, 04:53 PM report to moderator
Tumblr_lof6suzoya1qzaf17o4_250_thumb

Everything sounds very interesting. Looking forward to see Emma, definitely!

Posted by Matea on March 01, 2012, 04:55 PM report to moderator

Sounds amazayn! It seems like a fun film — can’t wait!

Posted by . on March 01, 2012, 11:38 PM report to moderator
Tonks3_thumb

I can’t wait to see, Emma being a bad girl!

Posted by Miranda Legard on March 02, 2012, 09:40 AM report to moderator

Harry, at least, felt extremely foolish, staring blankly at the crystal ball, trying to keep his mind empty when thoughts such as "this is stupid" kept drifting across it. It didn't help that Ron kept breaking into silent giggles and Hermione kept tutting