J.K. Rowling's Next Novel Announced, Written for Adults

Books
Posted by: Melissa
February 23, 2012, 09:28 AM

UPDATE: jkrowling.com is being "refreshed and redesigned" and will be opened again later this spring. An e-mail list has been added to the Web site's interface for readers to subscribe to updates.

J.K. Rowling's agency, the Blair Partnership, announced this morning that the Harry Potter author will be releasing a new novel for adults.

The only other info on the page, besides a graphic, is a note from the author indicating that "While I have loved writing it just as much, my next book will be very different from the Harry Potter series."

A press release further notes:

"Although I’ve enjoyed writing it every bit as much, my next book will be very different to the Harry Potter series, which has been published so brilliantly by Bloomsbury and my other publishers around the world. The freedom to explore new territory is a gift that Harry’s success has brought me, and with that new territory it seemed a logical progression to have a new publisher. I am delighted to have a second publishing home in Little, Brown, and a publishing team that will be a great partner in this new phase of my writing life"

Details will be announced "later in the year." The as-yet unnamed book has been bought by Little, Brown and Company in the UK and US.

The book will be the first of J.K. Rowling's work to be available immediately in print and electronic versions. There was no auction for the rights to the book.

As always through all these years, stay very close to Leaky for news and developments on J.K. Rowling's writing: we will be covering it as closely as we do Harry Potter.

Oh, and: leave a comment if you just screamed, did a dance, jumped for joy, or anything else.

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Books News

Rofr10_thumb

Jo has put up a twitter post now, very similar to the note on her website.

Posted by roonwit on February 24, 2012, 04:18 AM report to moderator
Hedwig_avatar_thumb

I’m afraid that the literary world will not be impressed by a press release which includes a grammatical error.

Posted by Graymayne on February 24, 2012, 04:35 AM report to moderator
Wickedtricksyfalsebyjasminebecketgriffith1_thumb

I can hardly wait!!!

Posted by moongardener on February 24, 2012, 04:42 AM report to moderator
Thank_you_thumb

I didn’t believe it when I first heard, this morning when my friends rushed in to tell me, but now, well how can I not believe it? I love crime, so this should be AMAZING!

Posted by Livi22-((ROAR!)) on February 24, 2012, 07:55 AM report to moderator
Daniel_radcliffe_being_perfect_thumb

THIS MADE MY DAY!!!! <3
I can’t wait!!!!
AHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YAYYYY!!!

Posted by Potterhead777 {ROAR!} on February 24, 2012, 08:37 AM report to moderator
Dhsmall_thumb

Like I said on the leaky news site: This woman could write about washing dishes and I’d buy it! Freaking stoked about this!!!

Posted by akcorr on February 24, 2012, 08:41 AM report to moderator
Dhsmall_thumb

I think this calls for a podcast! Anyone else agree??

Posted by akcorr on February 24, 2012, 08:42 AM report to moderator
Phpyyqy43_c2am_thumb

Nice that the sample cover is Hufflepuff color….oh well, maybe just to me. This is such exciting news – can’t wait!

Posted by weasleywannabe1997 on February 24, 2012, 02:59 PM report to moderator
Img_0283_thumb

OMG! WONDERFUL!

Posted by HermioneLunaHP on February 25, 2012, 10:21 AM report to moderator

Well, I hope the novel will be appropriate for a potterhead on 13 although it is going to be a adult novel.

Posted by Magical Arts on February 25, 2012, 03:08 PM report to moderator

I’m so-o-o-o-o-o-o-o excited!!!!!!!!! does a jig Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay!!!! Love you Jo!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Smartaps_2 on February 26, 2012, 03:31 AM report to moderator

Posted by Smartaps_2 on February 26, 2012, 03:31 AM report to moderator
Diagon_thumb

AMAZING! I’ve been waiting for this :D her writing style is so fantastic, I can’t wait to see what she’s been doing.

Posted by Sigourney♥ on February 26, 2012, 07:53 AM report to moderator
Rofr10_thumb

Magical Arts: Hopefully it should become clearer closer to publication whether it is actually unsuitable for children, or whether it is just the sort of book that children are less likely to read and enjoy. I suspect the latter, and it is possible that non-adult Potter fans will still enjoy it provided they are prepared for it being very different from the Potter books.

Posted by roonwit on February 26, 2012, 03:31 PM report to moderator
27577_1__thumb

Although this still doesnt give us much info as to what the “New Book/Scottish Book” will be about, I am still absorbing the works “later this year” SQUEEEEEE!, although I do have my doubts, remember they said October for Pottermore: (

Posted by Rowling Stones on February 27, 2012, 09:33 PM report to moderator

"By all means continue destroying my possessions," said Dumbledore serenely. "I daresay I have too many."