J.K. Rowling's Next Novel Announced, Written for Adults

Books
Posted by: Melissa
February 23, 2012, 09:28 AM

UPDATE: jkrowling.com is being "refreshed and redesigned" and will be opened again later this spring. An e-mail list has been added to the Web site's interface for readers to subscribe to updates.

J.K. Rowling's agency, the Blair Partnership, announced this morning that the Harry Potter author will be releasing a new novel for adults.

The only other info on the page, besides a graphic, is a note from the author indicating that "While I have loved writing it just as much, my next book will be very different from the Harry Potter series."

A press release further notes:

"Although I’ve enjoyed writing it every bit as much, my next book will be very different to the Harry Potter series, which has been published so brilliantly by Bloomsbury and my other publishers around the world. The freedom to explore new territory is a gift that Harry’s success has brought me, and with that new territory it seemed a logical progression to have a new publisher. I am delighted to have a second publishing home in Little, Brown, and a publishing team that will be a great partner in this new phase of my writing life"

Details will be announced "later in the year." The as-yet unnamed book has been bought by Little, Brown and Company in the UK and US.

The book will be the first of J.K. Rowling's work to be available immediately in print and electronic versions. There was no auction for the rights to the book.

As always through all these years, stay very close to Leaky for news and developments on J.K. Rowling's writing: we will be covering it as closely as we do Harry Potter.

Oh, and: leave a comment if you just screamed, did a dance, jumped for joy, or anything else.

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Books News

Polar

Squeal, clap, happy dance, cry. Oh what glorious news!!! This has made my day. Maybe my week. I have tears in my eyes!!

Posted by lupinblack2001 on February 23, 2012, 10:40 AM report to moderator
My_hero_neville_thumb

This is SO EXCITING! I don’t know what to do with myself. I can’t sit still and I can’t think clearly. This is almost too much! Jo Rowling, I LOVE YOU!!!!

Posted by KB Prez [ROAR!] on February 23, 2012, 10:41 AM report to moderator
Headshot_thumb

I jumped up and ran to the computer in my room just to be sure it wasn’t a mistake on my phone

Posted by Lysh on February 23, 2012, 10:43 AM report to moderator

I screamed, did a crazed happy dance, texted and emailed all my friends screaming OH MY ROWLING!!! Right now I am crying with pure joy. This is the happiest I’ve been since like ever (except like when I saw the new Starkid Musical)

Posted by BellatrixRiddle on February 23, 2012, 10:54 AM report to moderator

I screamed, did a crazed happy dance, texted and emailed all my friends screaming OH MY ROWLING!!! Right now I am crying with pure joy. This is the happiest I’ve been since like ever (except like when I saw the new Starkid Musical trailer)

Posted by BellatrixRiddle on February 23, 2012, 10:54 AM report to moderator

Posted by BellatrixRiddle on February 23, 2012, 10:54 AM report to moderator

Posted by BellatrixRiddle on February 23, 2012, 10:54 AM report to moderator

Posted by BellatrixRiddle on February 23, 2012, 10:54 AM report to moderator

Posted by BellatrixRiddle on February 23, 2012, 10:55 AM report to moderator

Posted by BellatrixRiddle on February 23, 2012, 10:55 AM report to moderator

Posted by BellatrixRiddle on February 23, 2012, 10:55 AM report to moderator

Posted by BellatrixRiddle on February 23, 2012, 10:55 AM report to moderator
Blue_phoenix_avatar_by_rhahsid_thumb

I’m so stoked!!! I know we have all been waiting for this day for years!!!

Posted by NightPhoenix35 on February 23, 2012, 11:08 AM report to moderator

Great news, but prematurely announced, I think. I’d rather they have waited until they could at least tell us the title and the month or at least the season in which the book will be published. I mean, I expected her to write more, so this really isn’t surprising news.

Posted by Dilys Derwent on February 23, 2012, 11:14 AM report to moderator
Dscn0187_thumb

OMG. My first reaction was, this must be a joke. After checking my calendar to noting that today isn’t April 1st, I’m very excited. However, I’m also a bit scared. Jo has a lot to live up to, and while I will read whatever she writes, I know I will always compare it to Harry Potter. I’m hoping I won’t be disappointed.

Posted by Laura Keaton [WBM!] on February 23, 2012, 11:15 AM report to moderator

"We know what Fudge is. It's Arthur's fondness for Muggles that has held him back at the Ministry all these years. Fudge thinks he lacks proper wizarding pride."