J.K. Rowling's Next Novel Announced, Written for Adults

Books
Posted by: Melissa
February 23, 2012, 09:28 AM

UPDATE: jkrowling.com is being "refreshed and redesigned" and will be opened again later this spring. An e-mail list has been added to the Web site's interface for readers to subscribe to updates.

J.K. Rowling's agency, the Blair Partnership, announced this morning that the Harry Potter author will be releasing a new novel for adults.

The only other info on the page, besides a graphic, is a note from the author indicating that "While I have loved writing it just as much, my next book will be very different from the Harry Potter series."

A press release further notes:

"Although I’ve enjoyed writing it every bit as much, my next book will be very different to the Harry Potter series, which has been published so brilliantly by Bloomsbury and my other publishers around the world. The freedom to explore new territory is a gift that Harry’s success has brought me, and with that new territory it seemed a logical progression to have a new publisher. I am delighted to have a second publishing home in Little, Brown, and a publishing team that will be a great partner in this new phase of my writing life"

Details will be announced "later in the year." The as-yet unnamed book has been bought by Little, Brown and Company in the UK and US.

The book will be the first of J.K. Rowling's work to be available immediately in print and electronic versions. There was no auction for the rights to the book.

As always through all these years, stay very close to Leaky for news and developments on J.K. Rowling's writing: we will be covering it as closely as we do Harry Potter.

Oh, and: leave a comment if you just screamed, did a dance, jumped for joy, or anything else.

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Books News

Twitter2_thumb

Best news ever! We readers, who started the Harry Potter journey early, are adults now. So this is the natural step forwards. I’m really looking forwards to read something totally different from Jo!

Posted by Niphai on February 23, 2012, 09:39 AM report to moderator
Untitled-1_copy_copy1_thumb

Yeah, I screamed. I also might have clapped.

Posted by ~Roni~ on February 23, 2012, 09:43 AM report to moderator
Tumblr_ln8nktbuk51qafrh6_thumb

I’m currently hyperventilating, just a little…

Posted by samueljc on February 23, 2012, 09:44 AM report to moderator
Tumblr_ljx6bckvt81qayzvw_thumb
2043 Points

i SQUEEEEEEEEEEEE when i saw the tweet making my little one jump >.< but yay can’t wait

Posted by GinnyRose2004 on February 23, 2012, 09:51 AM report to moderator
October_032b_thumb

I just did a little happy dance and squee! So awesome!

Posted by Amikia on February 23, 2012, 09:52 AM report to moderator

Between this and a new StarKid musical, I think fandom is trying to kill me with too much awesome lately.

Posted by guest_age on February 23, 2012, 09:53 AM report to moderator
553520_488880994466250_43107597_n_thumb

I’m just sitting here, grinning like a maniac! FINALLY!! :D

Posted by Asria (DreamLight208) on February 23, 2012, 09:56 AM report to moderator
Dsc_0091_thumb

I screamed :D And now I’m just sitting here smiling :) That’s such great news (:

Posted by tibby71 on February 23, 2012, 10:00 AM report to moderator

This has definitely not sunk in. I am in shock. But I’m starting to get that amazing tingly feeling in my stomach that I haven’t had in nearly 5 years. I feel my blood starting to move super fast. I’m so happy I feel like I’m going to throw up.

Posted by pottermate on February 23, 2012, 10:03 AM report to moderator
Petunia2_thumb

Epic! I can’t wait to see what she does next!

Posted by Mad But Happy on February 23, 2012, 10:19 AM report to moderator
Tumblr_lof6suzoya1qzaf17o4_250_thumb

Picture book, novel, SF or a science study, I’d read anything that comes out of her brain! Yes, they could have said the genre, title or the release date, at least.

Posted by Matea on February 23, 2012, 10:20 AM report to moderator

WOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOO!!!!!!!! I almost screamed, and I’m working. LOL. I’m soooooo HAPPY! Grinning like a MANIAC! Wonderful news. I have forwarded the news so I’m able to share this great feeling.

Posted by pabor on February 23, 2012, 10:20 AM report to moderator
Got-hogwarts_houses_thumb

I merely gasped : D

I wish we’d gotten an estimated release date, and a clue as to the genre other than ‘adult’ (I’m assuming that doesn’t mean something very steamy). It’s torture having the information released in such tiny increments.

If I were a betting person, my money would be on it being something like a mystery. I mean, she’s awfully good at keeping us all guessing, isn’t she?

Posted by WeenyOwl {The Human Deluminator} on February 23, 2012, 10:39 AM report to moderator

THIS IS SO EXCITING AND ALSO WORSE THAN ANY OTHER PREVIOUS ANNOUNCEMENT.

Because we have no idea what to expect! None! We don’t know the characters or the genre or the title; we literally have nothing to speculate on!

STILL I DON’T CARE; YAAAAAAAAAAAAY! :D :D

Posted by pie_is_good on February 23, 2012, 10:39 AM report to moderator
Polar

Squeal, clap, happy dance, cry. Oh what glorious news!!! This has made my day. Maybe my week. I have tears in my eyes!!

Posted by lupinblack2001 on February 23, 2012, 10:40 AM report to moderator

Issue 28 - Aug. 2014

"Some of the books the Ministry's confiscated... there was one that burned your eyes out. And everyone who read [i]Sonnets of a Sorcerer[/i] spoke in limericks for the rest of their lives. And some old witch in Bath had a book that you could [i]never stop