Steven Spielberg Recalls His Early Involvement with the Harry Potter films

Movies
Posted by: Stephanie_J
January 09, 2012, 10:44 PM

Digital Spy has published excerpts from an interview director Steven Spielberg gave regarding his early involvement with the development of the first Harry Potter film. Spielberg told BBC Breakfast that he was given the opportunity to direct the Harry Potter films, and worked on developing the series for 5 to 6 months with screenwriter Steve Kloves before dropping out.

"I just felt that I wasn't ready to make an all-kids movie and my kids thought I was crazy. And the books were by that time popular, so when I dropped out, I knew it was going to be a phenomenon.
"But, you know I don't make movies because they're gonna to be phenomenons. I make movies because they have to touch me in a way that really commits me to a year, two years, three years of work."

Warner Bros president Alan Horn confirmed in 2010 that Spielberg had been offered the position, but explained that he did not share the filmmaker's wish to combine some of the books and to make an animated series.

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Movies News

Hpphotoshop_thumb

Of course we can’t imagine the films being any different but I know I wouldn’t have liked his idea of the way it was to be directed. Plus he wanted this American kid to voice Harry, which would have ruined it. I think the kid was in that ghost film and says “I see dead people”

Posted by Calum Wilson (RuneDream54) on January 11, 2012, 05:12 PM report to moderator
Ron-and-hermione_thumb

That’s sad… but still, the movies turned out so well! But truthfully, I really can’t imagine him as a director…

Posted by lovelle on January 11, 2012, 06:21 PM report to moderator
Ron-and-hermione_thumb

for Harry Potter, I mean…

Posted by lovelle on January 11, 2012, 06:23 PM report to moderator
Tumblr_myzun5xhwu1tp4ll0o4_r1_250_thumb

I like Spielberg but i think that he was sooo wise to say no to HP- It wouldn’t be as good!

Posted by horcruxhunter7 on January 15, 2012, 02:49 AM report to moderator
9407947_thumb

I think that Speilberg pulled out 9 so wrong) because he would have to in control and in the case of this franchise he would have been mismatched. Of course he would have done some things differently but who knows what could have happened!

Posted by sidnandragin on January 21, 2012, 01:41 AM report to moderator

"As you can see, we are holding our wands in the accepted combative position," Lockhart told the silent crowd. "On the count of three, we will cast our first spells. Neither of us will be aiming to kill, of course."[br]"I wouldn't bet on that," Harry murm