Steven Spielberg Recalls His Early Involvement with the Harry Potter films

Movies
Posted by: Stephanie_J
January 09, 2012, 10:44 PM

Digital Spy has published excerpts from an interview director Steven Spielberg gave regarding his early involvement with the development of the first Harry Potter film. Spielberg told BBC Breakfast that he was given the opportunity to direct the Harry Potter films, and worked on developing the series for 5 to 6 months with screenwriter Steve Kloves before dropping out.

"I just felt that I wasn't ready to make an all-kids movie and my kids thought I was crazy. And the books were by that time popular, so when I dropped out, I knew it was going to be a phenomenon.
"But, you know I don't make movies because they're gonna to be phenomenons. I make movies because they have to touch me in a way that really commits me to a year, two years, three years of work."

Warner Bros president Alan Horn confirmed in 2010 that Spielberg had been offered the position, but explained that he did not share the filmmaker's wish to combine some of the books and to make an animated series.

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Movies News

The-two-hardest-things-to-say-in-life-are-hello-for-the-first-time-and-goodbye-for-the-last_thumb

I AM FIRST!!!!!! i claim this spot!! hehe lol just kidding!! but i am first…:)

Posted by the mudblood princess:)/ginnylove101 {WBM}=:) on January 09, 2012, 11:46 PM report to moderator

i must disagree with spielberg!!! harry potter is amazing!! and he is just jealous!!!!!! its obvious!!!:) lol

Posted by the mudblood princess:)/ginnylove101 {WBM}=:) on January 09, 2012, 11:49 PM report to moderator
Icon_thumb

I know that Jo has said that her contract with Warner specifies that they could only produce work from the books. No adapting the characters for cartoons or “holiday specials”, which was a brilliant move. However, having seen Tintin last weekend I would love to see that level of quality put to adapting the books in more detail than was available in the movies. As for Spielberg, he is one of my very favorite directors, but I think he was not right as a director for a series such as this. I think he made the right decision.

Posted by realspace on January 10, 2012, 12:08 AM report to moderator

I’m so relieved they didn’t go this route. HP wouldn’t be the same

Posted by CloakKnight on January 10, 2012, 12:17 AM report to moderator
Tumblr_mhtdm2xtoo1r5souzo7_250_thumb
20981 Points

Spielberg is freaking crazy! Thank Merlin her didnt direct HP or I do believe he would have ruined it! Combine the books? Animated series? I shudder to think. He’s a great director dont get me wrong, and I love many of him movies, but he was just not right for this. British directors, even if we had to go through three to find the first one, was what was need to make HP as amazing as it was.

Posted by LunaLuver on January 10, 2012, 01:09 AM report to moderator
Ed-in-chief_thumb

He could only see the difficulties in making the first movie and did not try hard enough to realize it. Spielberg does not have the tenacity of Jo Rowling, the two (original) Davids, Kloves and Stuart Craig.
I have seen a lot of Spielberg films and I don’t always understand the adulation. There are better directors out there.

Posted by chikitcorpuzvesterbaek on January 10, 2012, 01:19 AM report to moderator
Emma_watson_drawing_thumb

I agree there are better directors out there. I can’t imagine the films being any different than how they are so I’m he didn’t direct it! No offence.

Posted by Grindylow_101 on January 10, 2012, 11:06 AM report to moderator
Emma_watson_drawing_thumb

I meant to say I’m glad he didn’t direct it. :)

Posted by Grindylow_101 on January 10, 2012, 11:07 AM report to moderator
Got-hogwarts_houses_thumb

I agree. Spielberg would’ve been a poor match. He could not have sublimated his own ‘auteur’ ego to the integrity of the books themselves, especially since he wasn’t in love with them to begin with. He supposedly had a burning passion for decades to film Tintin, and I wasn’t impressed with the result at all. Look how far the HP directors deviated from the books, even when they claimed to be honoring them. Spielberg would have seen the canon as just a franchise, and the results would’ve been far worse, I fear.

Posted by WeenyOwl {The Human Deluminator} on January 10, 2012, 12:49 PM report to moderator
Ed-in-chief_thumb

weenyOwl: They did deviate from the books, but they are deviations greenlighted by Jo. Spielberg’s ideas did not get any ideas greenlighted by Jo and thank God, never got to direct the first film. Funny though, I think his kids are more in love with Harry Potter. ;-)

Posted by chikitcorpuzvesterbaek on January 10, 2012, 01:00 PM report to moderator
Raven_avatar_thumb

Disaster averted… Hoo-Ray!

Posted by Won_Two on January 10, 2012, 02:28 PM report to moderator
Daniel_radcliffe__rupert_grint__emma_watson_harry_potter_and_the_deathly_hallows_movie_image_1_thumb

I love Spielberg to death… he’ sin my top 3 directors of all time…. but I’m so glad with they way the Potter directors went… excellent job! Don’t forget to watch Dan on SNL this weekend!!

Posted by crikeyhunter on January 10, 2012, 07:18 PM report to moderator
149638_103433969730594_2631787_n_thumb

I agree with everything said about Spielberg so far. He’s good, but he would have been WRONG for Harry Potter.

I heard that Jo was somewhat horrified by his initial ideas. I heard he initially wanted Haley Joel Osment for Harry. He’s a wonderful child actor, but he’s no Dan/Harry.

Posted by sessionka oom4 CW on January 10, 2012, 10:39 PM report to moderator

I’m not sure if I like this guy. O.o But hey, everyone’s entitled to their own opinion.

Posted by . on January 11, 2012, 12:05 AM report to moderator
Hpphotoshop_thumb

Of course we can’t imagine the films being any different but I know I wouldn’t have liked his idea of the way it was to be directed. Plus he wanted this American kid to voice Harry, which would have ruined it. I think the kid was in that ghost film and says “I see dead people”

Posted by Calum Wilson (RuneDream54) on January 11, 2012, 05:11 PM report to moderator

Issue 28 - Aug. 2014

"Kreacher is cleaning," the elf repeated. "Kreacher lives to serve the noble house of Black --"[br]"-- and it's getting blacker every day, it's filthy," said Sirius.