Introducing the new LeakyNews.com: Leaky's New Multifandom Site

Leaky
Posted by: Melissa
September 20, 2011, 08:10 PM

For several years we have been telling you to use LeakyNews.com as a quick shortcut to get to our admittedly difficult-to-remember domain name, the-leaky-cauldron.org. Yet as soon as we got the name and started using it, we realized that it had the potential to be its own entertainment site. The idea of getting your news as soon as it "leaks," the continuation of the kind of exhaustive coverage we do on Harry Potter with all the other things we love... the idea had merit, but we got busy with other things, namely covering the releases of the final books and films, and LeakyCon.

It was at this year's LeakyCon, however, that things started to come together and the right pieces fell into place: and now we're thrilled to announce the Leaky team's newest venture, the brand new LeakyNews.com.

Firstly: The Leaky Cauldron and LeakyCon are still Harry Potter. That has not changed and won't any time soon! We are still your number one Harry Potter community online and do not anticipate any difference in how often we update or how the site functions.

LeakyNews is a site made by fans. It is based on the idea that we as fans of things are the most detailed reporters and even the best loving critics of the things we love. To that end we have started purposefully small, with just a handful of fandoms -- Harry Potter, StarKid, Glee, The Hunger Games, Game of Thrones, Doctor Who -- with other scattered coverage throughout. This list is solely composed of the things we wanted most to cover. For the rest, we're dependent on you: for our native "submit" feature, which allows anyone with a login to submit a piece on your favorite topic, or, if you want to contribute more frequently, to apply to become part of our writing team. You can find out how to do all those things right on LeakyNews.com's main page.

This is a really exciting time for us: it's fulfilling a several-years-long dream of the editors of this site, and a bit like the Leaky name is growing up. Instead of being one of a few large sites on one topic, we are one of MANY - hundreds, perhaps thousands - sites that are on many topics. Yet we're full of excitement and possibility and have a metric ton of ideas for making the site engaging and fun.

The site was designed by Jordan Edwards and made real by Andy Friel; Edward from Leaky will be covering Harry Potter there while Rosi will be handling Doctor Who and The Hunger Games news - I will be getting my Game of Thrones geek on with you all.

Don't forget you can follow us on Twitter and like us on Facebook - we would really appreciate it if you did!

See you over there, Leakies!

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Leaky News

Morse_telegrapher_thumb

The problem with following LeakyNews.com on twitter is that you get everything they cover, not just the one fandome you want to follow.

Posted by AurorPhoenix aka Phoenix on September 21, 2011, 10:18 AM report to moderator
Morse_telegrapher_thumb

Leaky’s end of page hickup intervened and didn’t show the post. So I did it again.

Posted by AurorPhoenix aka Phoenix on September 21, 2011, 10:20 AM report to moderator
Raven_avatar_thumb

Thanks for posting this…

Posted by Won_Two on September 21, 2011, 10:44 AM report to moderator
Wig4_thumb

It looks great!

Posted by Fleur-de- Lily on September 21, 2011, 11:30 AM report to moderator
My_hero_neville_thumb

GREAT Idea Leaky! I hope LeakyNews doesn’t try to be all things media to all people as Hypable seems to be doing. IMO, navigating Hypable has already become a little tedious.

I’d love for you to add coverage of “The Girl with the Dragoon Tatoo” series to LeakyNews. I loved the books. I also saw the original versions of the films and thought they were great. I’m sure you know the English-language version of the first film will be released next year. It may not have the hype of “The Hunger Games”, but I’m looking forward to seeing it.

Posted by KB Prez [ROAR!] on September 21, 2011, 12:02 PM report to moderator
Tumblr_mhtdm2xtoo1r5souzo7_250_thumb
20981 Points

I was worried for a minuet, but they arent going to stop reporting on Leaky, they’re just adding other things to LeakyNews. So it two different fan sites, yet they are connected. I’m excited Doctor Who is going to be on there, thats the only one I’m interested in. I’m surprised about Game of Thrones though, I mean that is not a kid show at all, I’ve only seen in a few times and simply because Sean Bean is in it.

Posted by LunaLuver on September 21, 2011, 12:43 PM report to moderator
Thank_you_thumb

I’m sure it’ll be amazing! It’s so great that we seem to have had a huge Potter reinvention this summer! The film, Pottermore and now this! Wow!

Posted by Livi22-((ROAR!)) on September 21, 2011, 03:07 PM report to moderator
Ronhermione_thumb

This is basically Hypable.. But okay..

Posted by Beazy :) (Formerly: MidnightSun321 ) {!!ROAR!!} on September 21, 2011, 04:04 PM report to moderator

Sounds like a fun, neat venture! Definitely going to check it out! :D

Posted by bellahawthorne on September 21, 2011, 05:15 PM report to moderator
C_01_thumb

This is just like Hypeable.

But since I like MN and Leaky anyways, I’ll follow both Hypeable and Leaky News. Sometimes one news site may pick up on one news story and the other wont.

Excited.

Does this mean a new Podcast? I hope so, I really miss hearing you guys talk.

Posted by Rose on September 21, 2011, 08:14 PM report to moderator
Got-hogwarts_houses_thumb

Why is there no way into Leaky from LeakyNews? My old bookmark that used to take me to the ‘front page’ of Leaky has now reverted to LeakyNews and I have to find a back way in. I find it annoying.

Posted by WeenyOwl {The Human Deluminator} on September 21, 2011, 08:38 PM report to moderator

It looks just like Hypeable, which was an offshoot from Mugglenet people. Love ’em all, and keep the news coming!

Posted by Maestra2 on September 21, 2011, 10:08 PM report to moderator

I haven’t tried Hypable yet, so maybe I’m wrong about this, but it seems to me like the main difference from what I’ve heard about Hypable and this site is interactivity with the user – meaning that rather than you getting fed information about your favorite fandoms by the site, YOU can participate and add the new information yourself. That alone in itself makes it quite a bit different from Hypable (unless I’m ill-informed about the workings of Hypable).

So, for example, KB Prez mentioned above that they would like Leaky to cover “The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo.” Well, rather than waiting for them to decide to cover it, KB Prez can create an account on Leaky News in which they will be able to report on “The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo.”

Posted by mark_sheldon1221 on September 22, 2011, 12:49 PM report to moderator
Hpphotoshop_thumb

Quite a cool idea :)

Posted by Calum Wilson (RuneDream54) on September 22, 2011, 12:54 PM report to moderator
Wand_thumb

As long as TLC stays purely HP, I’m good with this LeakyNews thing!

Posted by #1 Witch ROAR! on September 22, 2011, 05:44 PM report to moderator

"You are very near your goal. The quickest way is past me."[br]"So... so will you move, please?" said Harry, knowing what the answer was going to be.[br]"No," she said, continuing to pace. "Not unless you can answer my riddle."

Issue 28 - Aug. 2014