Pottermore Insider Answers Questions on Duelling, Potions, and Beta Feedback

J.K. Rowling
Posted by: Stephanie_J
September 02, 2011, 05:52 PM

As mentioned last week, the Pottermore Insider blog has now been updated to answer frequently asked questions that Pottermore beta users have been asking. Concerns dealing with the potions brewing, wizards duelling, and moderation for common room comments are all addressed.

Additionally, the Insider reveals that a Pottermore beta survey will be sent out in a few weeks to those who have already gained entry into the site and will allow fans to provide more specific feedback.

'...It'd be nice to know IF Wizard Dueling will be available to beta testers again. I don't care when, just a yes or not.' [sic]   - cwbrumm
Yes! We know that you like Wizard’s Duel - a lot. This section of the site has proven to be immensely popular and we’ve been making a number of improvements behind the scenes to ensure that it runs as smoothly as possible. We just need to finish making and testing our changes.
Continue reading at this link!

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent J.K. Rowling News

Flowers1_thumb

Yeah, I agree that when the site is failing/glitching it isn’t fair to lose points…however, I don’t see how a computer could detect that was what was happening. Seems though that glitching is another reason why you shouldn’t lose house points due to failed potions. At least not till they work the kinks out.

Posted by purplehogwarts on September 05, 2011, 05:32 PM report to moderator
Rofr10_thumb

molly43: I can’t see the site standing up very well when October registrations open (which might happen before October – they did at one point say 7th August for this), nor when the first accounts are joined if they let everyone on as they register or when the site opens so I think there will have to be a wait for the October registrants, at least until the initial rush has passed.

Posted by roonwit on September 05, 2011, 05:34 PM report to moderator
Rofr10_thumb

purplehogwarts: Point awarding wasn’t always fair in the books either. Think of glitches as the Snape in the system.

Posted by roonwit on September 05, 2011, 05:38 PM report to moderator
Flowers1_thumb

@Molly43: the website still says, “Pottermore is open to all in October and registration will start shortly.” Doesn’t give an exact date in October. Could be early, middle, or end. Seems as if they still have time. Interesting to notice that the “submit your email” option is gone.

Posted by purplehogwarts on September 05, 2011, 05:47 PM report to moderator
Flowers1_thumb

@Roonwit: true. I was also thinking of him as the “cheating” too. ;p

Posted by purplehogwarts on September 05, 2011, 05:49 PM report to moderator
Img00540_thumb

just a heads up, I was day 4 or 5 ( honestly I was so sleep deprived I can’t remember which one- it was the day where the quill was one the scholastic site) so I don’t know what the deal is with the order of entry. On tumblr some people were saying they were day 7 and they got in on the first day, but i don’t know if thats true.

Posted by lolalu on September 05, 2011, 05:49 PM report to moderator
Rofr10_thumb

purplehogwarts: They do say early in October at one point.

Posted by roonwit on September 05, 2011, 05:54 PM report to moderator
Rofr10_thumb

Sigh, my potion just got “Snaped”. I completed it successfully, and it said I got the points for it but the system hung at that point. When I eventually went back the instructions started again from the beginning but one ingredient wouldn’t work. Presumably it really thought it was later in the process so I stopped rather than risk a cauldron mishap, and had to make do with one point. It was also the last potion I needed to make to complete the set.

Posted by roonwit on September 05, 2011, 06:20 PM report to moderator
Flowers1_thumb

@roonwit: I know that’s what they said originally on the pottermore home page…but they removed it. I didn’t know if that meant they were changing it or not. Just says October now.

Posted by purplehogwarts on September 05, 2011, 06:31 PM report to moderator
Always_thumb

How are you suppose to go back to a potion you have brewing? I was brewing a potion yesterday, came back after the 80 minutes by going to potions, then finding the potion brewing and clicking on it. It kept showing me the first page of instructions, and so I clicked on something that showed the cauldron I had which was in use and the potion was at 100%, I went back to the potion which still only showed the first page of instructions, then I was told that time was up. I did not successfully brew the potion but got a house point. Is this a glich or is there a different way to go back to a potion in progress? I’m confused. I don’t want to brew another potion until I know how to do it properly.

Posted by Shining Lynx on September 05, 2011, 06:33 PM report to moderator
Rofr10_thumb

purplehogwarts: No, it is still there; Help → The Magical Quill and site access → What happens if I am not selected for early entry?
“Pottermore will be open to all from the beginning of October 2011”

Shining Lynx: Something similar just happened to me. I think it is an occasional site glitch.

Posted by roonwit on September 05, 2011, 06:52 PM report to moderator
Flowers1_thumb

Ok, thanks

Posted by purplehogwarts on September 05, 2011, 06:59 PM report to moderator
Flowers1_thumb

I just couldn’t find it. I would assume “beginning” means first week. At least that’s my guess. I surely hope beta users get more than just one week. Just my opinion.

Posted by purplehogwarts on September 05, 2011, 07:19 PM report to moderator
17879-26957_thumb

@roonwit thanks. I still find it hard to believe that the beginning of Oct deadline can be met; especially with the potions site problems. Even though I’m day six and I know it will be a while I still feel grateful that I’m at least in the line for eventually getting in. Thanks @roonwit for keeping us updated.

Posted by molly43 on September 05, 2011, 07:45 PM report to moderator

I am thinking that there is a big delay with the emails. My friend got her email yesterday (Sunday) and as many of you know PM seems to take the weekends off…..SO I am not going to give up hope that my email will come this week! Also the other two people I know who have access to pottermore (both registered Day 2) Still have not received their emails but have full access to PM ….. SO it seems there is a glitch with the emails (maybe they are trying to send out bigger batches and its moving slowly or not at all?) Just assumptions at this point but still!

Posted by magicneverends85 on September 05, 2011, 07:48 PM report to moderator

"[Lockhart] hasn't got a clue who he is, or where he is, or who we are... He's a danger to himself."[br]Lockhart peered good-naturedly up at them all.[br]"Hello," he said. "Odd sort of place, this, isn't it? Do you live here?"[br]"No," said Ron, raising h