Pottermore Insider Answers Questions on Duelling, Potions, and Beta Feedback

J.K. Rowling
Posted by: Stephanie_J
September 02, 2011, 05:52 PM

As mentioned last week, the Pottermore Insider blog has now been updated to answer frequently asked questions that Pottermore beta users have been asking. Concerns dealing with the potions brewing, wizards duelling, and moderation for common room comments are all addressed.

Additionally, the Insider reveals that a Pottermore beta survey will be sent out in a few weeks to those who have already gained entry into the site and will allow fans to provide more specific feedback.

'...It'd be nice to know IF Wizard Dueling will be available to beta testers again. I don't care when, just a yes or not.' [sic]   - cwbrumm
Yes! We know that you like Wizard’s Duel - a lot. This section of the site has proven to be immensely popular and we’ve been making a number of improvements behind the scenes to ensure that it runs as smoothly as possible. We just need to finish making and testing our changes.
Continue reading at this link!

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent J.K. Rowling News

The number sorted is still just over 144,000. I think it was 144,225 when I logged out. So it’s dropping, but not by much. If there aren’t any new emails today, I’m thinking it might be the pause? They don’t usually send out new batches on the weekend, but then there’s a new one on Monday…that’s been the pattern. So if they haven’t sent anything out by tonight, then I suspect that’s why.
Roonwit, do you by chance know approximately how many students it decreased? When I left for the weekend it was at 144,008, and when I came back it was at 144,259 I think, and it’s dropped a bit, but since I don’t know what number it got to over the weekend when I was without access, I am assuming it’s not been much, so I am hopeful then that it is the multiple accounts or people they have caught cheating.

Posted by songbird on September 05, 2011, 10:49 AM report to moderator

There is a funny youtube video about sorting. Search “What if Pottermore sorts me in the wrong house.”

Posted by wildpumpkin63 on September 05, 2011, 11:06 AM report to moderator
Halloween-crimson-witch-bnac533_thumb

@S Palms: I’m soooo glad you finally got in! Enjoy it! I’m still waiting for my mail, though! Sigh Soooo frustrating!

Posted by Halfblood Princess on September 05, 2011, 11:31 AM report to moderator
Wand_thumb

Still waiting! Sounds AMAZING!

Posted by #1 Witch ROAR! on September 05, 2011, 11:57 AM report to moderator
Flowers1_thumb

@cb160 – If that’s the case, I wonder if those people will try to start over in October?

I’ve also heard that some people (though very, very few) are disappointed in the site and have closed their accounts because they are uninterested in playing it.

Posted by purplehogwarts on September 05, 2011, 12:25 PM report to moderator

I’m new to the leaky cauldron and I saw this post and all these comments, I’m glad to see I’m not the only one waiting for my email (but not glad that we aren’t on the site yet!)
My friend came round today and she got her email on Friday and registered on day 2, the site is awesome!
The duelling is down for maintenance but seeing as you can’t get that many points very quickly by potion brewing I’m guessing you could get quite a lot from duelling because some members have thousands of points.
It definitely looks worth the wait but I am annoyed that if it’s opening in October for all, we don’t have much time to give our feedback and was there much point in all the hassle and constantly refreshing the page and waiting for the magical quill if we won’t get in to the process and give our feedback much earlier than everyone else?
Anyway, as a potter fan I’m holding out hopes that the site will let us all in with time to give feedback but I didn’t register till the 4th day, so I think I’m going to have to wait a long time and I’m not holding out hopes to get in anytime soon. (Although I do try and log in everyday..)
Sorry for the long comment!

Posted by Liddle on September 05, 2011, 12:40 PM report to moderator

@S Palms: I loved your Hufflepuff story! :)

I don’t care as much about people deleting their own accounts and starting over in Oct. I’m most upset about the multiple accounts and cheating (I know, people will find a way to cheat at everything, but still…) during beta, when a lot of people 1) couldn’t get registered at all or 2) those who did register still haven’t received their welcome letters.

Once it’s officially open to all in October, I think the impact of multiple accounts/cheating will be lessened (hopefully), due to the sheer number of people on the site.

Posted by MagicBclPlyr on September 05, 2011, 12:45 PM report to moderator
Flowers1_thumb

@MAgicBclPlyr

I agree, people with multiple accounts for themselves are selfish. What’s the point in having more than one account anyway? Unless they want to cheat…which just spoils the fun for everyone. I really hope the PM team has found a way to fix and prevent cheating from happening!!

Posted by purplehogwarts on September 05, 2011, 12:48 PM report to moderator

This just in – More Welcome emails are being sent out today (Monday 5 September), from approximately 18:15pm (BST).

Good luck, everyone!

Posted by MagicBclPlyr on September 05, 2011, 01:43 PM report to moderator
Rofr10_thumb

songbird: I think the peak number sorted was 144,310 and is currently 144,221.

Posted by roonwit on September 05, 2011, 02:01 PM report to moderator
Flowers1_thumb

Yipee!!! Crossing my fingers tightly! Though I won’t be too hopeful…I’m a day 3er…

Posted by purplehogwarts on September 05, 2011, 02:04 PM report to moderator
Harrypottercoat_of_arms_thumb

Errol? Where are you??

Posted by LilynLuna on September 05, 2011, 02:27 PM report to moderator

I think it’s infested with Nargles tonight…REALLY glitchy. I brewed a potion earlier today with no problem, now suddenly it won’t let me pick up my wand, so I exploded one cauldron, tried again, had the same problem, but got it turned off before it exploded. And my comments in the common room are being funky. It lets me see the most recent and then suddenly skips LOADS and goes directly to things an hour ago. It’s not letting me see anything in between. Things I saw before have now disappeared.

Current student count is now 144,220, but I expect it to go up since they just sent out another batch of emails.

Posted by songbird on September 05, 2011, 02:38 PM report to moderator
Vanishing_cabinet_thumb

NO MORE CHEATING. PM has thought of a way to get rid of cheating altogether! :) That might be a small percentage to why accounts are being deleted. You can’t cheat to make houses lose points anymore.
People used to fail potion brewing on purpose to lose points for a house they don’t like, but now when you fail, you receive a point anyway, just for trying (which is good, because you lose any ingredients you may have bought in Diagon Alley that you used to make it).

(THIS MIGHT BE A BIT OF A SPOILER; but it’s not really much you haven’t already heard)

Dueling is still down. I haven’t tried it yet; but you can practice casting spells, which they have made it a unique way, and it may be a little hard for people who aren’t that quick (that’s all I’m saying on that matter).
The Hufflepuffs are probably the most loved house on Pottermore, believe it or not. The Claws aren’t posting much - I suppose they’re still determined to try and catch up to us Slytherins (who almost have on a few accounts), who are VEERRYYY ambitious, as we have first spot in house points but lowest amount of students. The competition is very close, though. The Gryffindors own the leaderboard(with the exception of one Slytherin) for students with the most points, and are a little ansty with their house placement, and I’ve seen 2 or 3 posts from them slandering us (quite rudely, and the Claws and Snakes have been reporting them, don’t worry) because they think we’re cheating.
THOUGH, mostly everyone on PM is very helpful and sportsmanlike. :D People love to quote AVPM. Don’t spend all your galleons at once -- bad idea. I usually never see anyone with a frog. Most have owls and ginger cats.
There’s a lot of comments us beta testers post for better ideas, and hopefully PM is taking them into account. There’s a lot of improvement to be done, but besides that, it’s an amazingly beautiful site.

STANDINGS:

1st: Slytherin (21,267 points, 35,871 students)
2nd: Ravenclaw (21,198 points, 36,270 students)
3rd: Gryffindor (20,180 points, 36,027 students)
4th: Hufflepuff (19, 532 points, 36,052 students)

The most points from a student recorded is a Gryffindor with 6,803 points.

Students enrolled/sorted: 144,220.

Posted by Sara Greengrass (S Palms) on September 05, 2011, 02:40 PM report to moderator
Vanishing_cabinet_thumb

Update: The site is now down. I’m not sure if it crashed or they’re fixing problems/ etc.

Posted by Sara Greengrass (S Palms) on September 05, 2011, 02:47 PM report to moderator

"I hope my son will amount to more than a theif or a plunderer, Borgin," said Mr. Malfoy coldly, and Mr. Borgin said quickly, "No offense, sir, no offense [br]meant --"[br]"Though if his grades don't pick up," said Mr. Malfoy, more coldly still, "that may