David Heyman Offers New Insight Into Challenges of "Deathly Hallows: Part 2" Epilogue Scene

DH Film
Posted by: Stephanie_J
August 06, 2011, 11:30 AM

The LA Times has published a new interview with Harry Potter producer David Heyman about the challenges the cast and crew faced when filming the epilogue scene in "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2."

On the decision to not cast older actors to play Harry, Ron and Hermione:

“After all we have been through with these characters, the way that a generation has grown up with them, they need to be the ones on screen when it’s time to bring it to a close,” said Heyman, who was a key decision-maker back when Radcliffe and his costars were first cast in their roles back in 2000. “There’s an expectation — even if it is not articulated — that they need to be on the screen when it’s coming to an end.”
Why the first epilogue shoot didn't work:
“Rupert looked like he was about 75 years old with the triple chin and the belly, he looked like he had really lived as a lush,” Heyman said. “We knew we needed to rework the makeup.  There was another problem, too, shooting at the train station proved quite challenging for some of the younger kids who played the children of Harry, Ron and Hermione. It was really noisy every few minutes a train from Liverpool would pull in on one of the other tracks. We only had our one track closed.”
How re-shooting the epilogue scene at Leavesden Studios "made all the difference in the world:"
Heyman has said the hushed control of the Leavesden soundstages provided “the place to get the needed intimacy” but the timing also created the unexpected benefit of making the epilogue the “true” last scene made by the young stars. Film scenes are rarely shot in the same order they are shown on-screen but in this instance the farewell feeling brought an evocative gravity to the day.

“We should have thought to film it last in the first place,” Heyman said Wednesday. “It created a reality of sorts to the feelings in the scene and in the air. And I think now we’ve heard from the rest of the world that it worked. In the end, we used some shots from King’s Cross, too, to make a hybrid. There was a little bit of CG as well. The combination is subtle, which it needed to be.”

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent DH Film News

Harry_potter_seal_thumb

I think the epilogue was perfect, it really gave a feeling of “this is just right” I couldn’t have asked for a more perfect ending.

Posted by Jacket on August 06, 2011, 01:40 PM report to moderator
Shaw__4__thumb

Persona;;y, I didn;t mind that they left out Tedy Lupin and other little bits. I think it was the right decision to have it all about the Trio and their kids.

Posted by HogwartsForever on August 06, 2011, 01:42 PM report to moderator
423928_2979823569581_1081661667_32966780_333709726_n_thumb

Emma didn’t looks that much different… I wonder why.

Posted by Gene *ROAR* on August 06, 2011, 02:06 PM report to moderator
Pegasus1_thumb

“All was well” could have been easily added. Either a fade out to dark screen upon which that final line would appear, or, as would have seemed natural for him to do and a nice closure, Ron could have quietly drawn Harry aside and asked (almost like when they met in the first film on the train) “So, umm, the scar? Anything?” and Harry could have just smiled and said “No. All is well.”

Posted by Mom Weasley on August 06, 2011, 02:10 PM report to moderator
Hufflepuff_1_thumb

I would have been so upset if they had used different actors over Dan, Emma and Rupert. I think the epilogue scene was really good.

Posted by wallflower1971 on August 06, 2011, 02:20 PM report to moderator
Raven_avatar_thumb

I would have been absolutely flippin freaked out if they did not use the original 3… After all, if they can cg Voldy’s schnozz they could have cg’d the aging… As it turned out, the makeup looked just fine!

Posted by Won_Two on August 06, 2011, 02:31 PM report to moderator
2004_hp_and_the_prisoner_of_azkaban_012_thumb

I don’t think the All was well line would have worked in the film and to be honest I found it an awkward line to end with in the book. Surely a writer of Rowling’s talent could have come up with something better than All was well? I love her books, but I really don’t like those words, they sound so twee and unoriginal.

Posted by TheGryffindorFox on August 06, 2011, 02:50 PM report to moderator
2004_hp_and_the_prisoner_of_azkaban_012_thumb

And I thought the epilogue scene was really good, like we’d come full circle and were back to the beginning again. I definitely had a tear in my eye!

Posted by TheGryffindorFox on August 06, 2011, 02:53 PM report to moderator

The look on Harry, Hermione and Ron’s faces really purveyed the meaning of “All is well”. The calmness of the scene, no wary on their faces except for having to say goodbye to their children. But that one last close up..you get that feeling that all is well.

Posted by FinallyPJ on August 06, 2011, 04:06 PM report to moderator
Dumbledore_and_elder_wand_thumb

The scene was indeed better the second time I watched the movie.

Posted by eru on August 06, 2011, 04:12 PM report to moderator

I was really happy with the epiolouge, I loved that they used the music from the end of the first movie. I am wondering if they will include the original one or an extended version of it on the DVD/Blu Ray? I wonder why non of the interviewers have asked that.

Posted by graziboi on August 06, 2011, 04:19 PM report to moderator
Tumblr_mwfpc2fgyd1qan42po1_250_thumb
20964 Points

Using other actors would have totally ruined everything we’ve spent a decade watching. To me, the Epilogue was the best part, it was perfectly done. The aging was spot on (I mean you dont look like a hag in your late 30’s people) and the word, per word from the book talk between Albus and Harry was truely beautiful. Yes I would have liked to see Teddy, but not doesnt ruin it at all. I cried my heart out seeing it the first, just looking at the picture makes me teary eyed, and I’m seeing it again tomorrow which I’m sure I’ll be crying again.

Posted by LunaLuver on August 06, 2011, 04:25 PM report to moderator
Hufflepuff_thumb

I really liked the epilogue and when it just zoomed in on the trio and ginny i had to hold back a sob!

Posted by butterbeerbottle on August 06, 2011, 04:29 PM report to moderator
N1081704126_19359_1414_thumb

I liked the overall scene in the movie, but I think they could have done bait more overall.

Posted by Runwild101 (Robby) on August 06, 2011, 04:43 PM report to moderator

IT WAS AMAZING! (:

Posted by . on August 06, 2011, 06:29 PM report to moderator

Professor Dumbledore, though very old, always gave an impression of great energy. He had several feet of long silver hair and beard, half-moon spectacles, and an extremely crooked nose.

Issue 28 - Apr. 2014