David Heyman Offers New Insight Into Challenges of "Deathly Hallows: Part 2" Epilogue Scene

DH Film
Posted by: Stephanie_J
August 06, 2011, 11:30 AM

The LA Times has published a new interview with Harry Potter producer David Heyman about the challenges the cast and crew faced when filming the epilogue scene in "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2."

On the decision to not cast older actors to play Harry, Ron and Hermione:

“After all we have been through with these characters, the way that a generation has grown up with them, they need to be the ones on screen when it’s time to bring it to a close,” said Heyman, who was a key decision-maker back when Radcliffe and his costars were first cast in their roles back in 2000. “There’s an expectation — even if it is not articulated — that they need to be on the screen when it’s coming to an end.”
Why the first epilogue shoot didn't work:
“Rupert looked like he was about 75 years old with the triple chin and the belly, he looked like he had really lived as a lush,” Heyman said. “We knew we needed to rework the makeup.  There was another problem, too, shooting at the train station proved quite challenging for some of the younger kids who played the children of Harry, Ron and Hermione. It was really noisy every few minutes a train from Liverpool would pull in on one of the other tracks. We only had our one track closed.”
How re-shooting the epilogue scene at Leavesden Studios "made all the difference in the world:"
Heyman has said the hushed control of the Leavesden soundstages provided “the place to get the needed intimacy” but the timing also created the unexpected benefit of making the epilogue the “true” last scene made by the young stars. Film scenes are rarely shot in the same order they are shown on-screen but in this instance the farewell feeling brought an evocative gravity to the day.

“We should have thought to film it last in the first place,” Heyman said Wednesday. “It created a reality of sorts to the feelings in the scene and in the air. And I think now we’ve heard from the rest of the world that it worked. In the end, we used some shots from King’s Cross, too, to make a hybrid. There was a little bit of CG as well. The combination is subtle, which it needed to be.”

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent DH Film News

Jenavieve_one_thumb

first comment ! lol i saw this again last night, the first time i didnt cry, but last night i cried sooo much ! great job guys ! this scene was amazing !

Posted by AlexWeasley12 {WitchFelicis130} on August 06, 2011, 11:39 AM report to moderator
All_was_well_by_shelbi_s-d3i2cdi_thumb

I think Harry looked great and Daniel Radcliffe did a great job. the scene was actually better the second time I watched the movie. :)

Posted by elanor17 on August 06, 2011, 11:47 AM report to moderator
Mucha_hermione_2_thumb

Well I’m glad they used the same actors!!! That last shot of the movie, with the trio watching their kids leave for Hogwarts, with the original music in the background, it makes me cry every time I see it!!

Posted by Miss.Hermione on August 06, 2011, 12:01 PM report to moderator

I think the epilog make-up job and performances for the trio is perfectly convincing, esp. for Daniel. Some people snark that Emma looks no different at all, but I disagree. Look at the photo. She looks like a 30something who has retained much of her looks, like I would expect someone with Emma’s features to look to when she reaches 37. The make-up is subtle, but authentic.

Posted by dragonfrog on August 06, 2011, 12:17 PM report to moderator
Pegasus1_thumb

Heck, the “kids” are so much older now, they should have realized that not much make-up would be needed lol.

Posted by Mom Weasley on August 06, 2011, 12:20 PM report to moderator
Tumblr_lof6suzoya1qzaf17o4_250_thumb

I agree, they really looked great. I’m quite happy with the epilogue.

Posted by Matea on August 06, 2011, 12:22 PM report to moderator
Marguerite_thumb

It’s a little awkward, to be honest: there was some sniggering in my theatre when we saw an older Dan with golden rimmed glasses…

Posted by Despina on August 06, 2011, 12:22 PM report to moderator
Marguerite_thumb

I wonder if we’ll ever get to see images from the first shooting session at King’s Cross? Apart from the ones that leaked months ago!

Posted by Despina on August 06, 2011, 12:25 PM report to moderator

I wouldn’t expect them to have to look much older; you don’t age that much between your late teens and mid-thirties.

Posted by sindie11 on August 06, 2011, 12:46 PM report to moderator
Hpphotoshop_thumb

They all looked great though Emma didn’t look much different.

Posted by Calum Wilson (RuneDream54) on August 06, 2011, 12:48 PM report to moderator
Harry-potter-and-the-order-of-the-phoenix-20070416023332981_thumb

We’ll in my opinion, I couldn’t of asked for a better epilogue. You could definetly tell that it was the last scene they shot. I felt that heaviness of emotion in the scene. Saw it three times and that scene still makes me cry every time.

Posted by SiriusGirl19 [ROAR] on August 06, 2011, 12:51 PM report to moderator

Dan carried the scene pleasingly speaking lines directly from the book. Emma’s make-up needed a little bit more ageing -not much -but a little. Bonnie looked OK Rupert -as ever, just OK.

Posted by Beazle on August 06, 2011, 01:05 PM report to moderator
Eeyorescrollsparky_thumb

I thought they all looked great. I liked the last scene and I’m glad they made the choice to use the real Harry, Ron and Hermione (and Draco).

They made a lot of good choices through the years of filming all the Harry Potter movies, and it really shows in the last one especially.

Good on you, WB and Heyman, et al.

Posted by Eeyore on August 06, 2011, 01:14 PM report to moderator
Torbitinglisalittle_thumb

The epilogue was the only scene that disappointed me, sorry. I felt it was way too short. All the talk about Remus and Tonk’s son, little Scorpio, Neville—absent. And the most important line in the book, “All was well” was absent. I really wish they had filmed it exactly as it happened in the book.

Posted by lisamiamoore on August 06, 2011, 01:17 PM report to moderator

How on earth could “All was well” be translated into a scene in a film ??

After all, no one says it as dialogue in the book.

Posted by Beazle on August 06, 2011, 01:31 PM report to moderator

It felt very odd to be issuing instructions, but not nearly as odd as seeing them followed.

Issue 28 - Apr. 2014