Pottermore Insider Answers Questions About Beta Testing and Welcome E-Mails

J.K. Rowling
Posted by: Stephanie_J
August 25, 2011, 03:35 PM

A new blog post has gone up on the Pottermore Insider following the latest batch of welcome e-mails which were sent out today.

Several frequently asked questions about the beta process are covered in this latest update as well as the timeline for receiving welcome e-mails. The Insider also denies the rumor that welcome letters will be sent out sooner to those who have been friended by other Pottermore users.

Beta phases are fluid and it’s important to watch and see how a site reacts to increasing amounts of users and activity.

Every time more people are added to Pottermore, we take a pause and look at how the site is responding to see if everything is working as we expect it to and whether we need to make changes before we let more people into Pottermore.

We are planning on giving more people early access over the next week or so and then we will pause sending Welcome emails for a while so that we can see how things are going.

Unfortunately, we can’t create a schedule to share, as we need to respond to what we learn with each group of new users. That’s also why there are gaps between the batches of Welcome emails; it all depends on what we’re learning from those who are currently on the site.

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent J.K. Rowling News

Hufflepuff_1_thumb

I’m beginning to think that I won’t be seeing the inside of Pottermore until it opens for everyone to join.

Posted by wallflower1971 on August 27, 2011, 09:48 PM report to moderator

The more I think about all of this, the more upsetting it gets. We got all excited about getting in early, only to find out that most of us won’t actually get in early at all. The whole point for me was wanting to help form the site. I wanted to watch it change, not show up and have it already finished. And what was the point of making the first magical quill questions harder than the last, if all the people who got in the first couple of days weren’t going to be let in first? I am really disappointed.

Posted by junkgirl190 on August 28, 2011, 12:13 AM report to moderator
Leia_thumb

Roonwit wrote: “so they probably are taking a first come first serve policy for most of the accounts they join, though there are also a few accounts from later days, so some accounts have probably been joined under a different strategy.”
I got in on day 2, and am still waiting for my beta email. It really seems rather random from discussions with HP friends who have gotten in (some found the quill on day 7) and those, like me, who have not — including some day 1 folks.

I really wish they HAD gone on a “first-come, first-served” basis, as it otherwise seems rather unfair. Also, there are more than “a few weeks” before Oct, so there is still time … though that “pause” P-more will be taking makes me even more anxious.

I understand the Beta phase, having done quite a few myself, but it does seem as though a lot of this was not well-thought-out before-hand. As it has been 4 years since the “Summer of Seven” I am just grateful for more from the magical quill of JK Rowling …. I just hate to wait. :)

Posted by Hagiographer13 on August 28, 2011, 03:55 AM report to moderator
Images_thumb

Reading what you wrote, guys, and agree with junkgirl190 about involvment in shaping the site I’m at least equally interested in answering the survey and their interest in our perspective as in experiencing PM, and a later entry kind of shortening that beatiful, chalenging and rewarding possibility.

Posted by cb160 on August 28, 2011, 04:27 AM report to moderator
Hpmaggie2_copy2_thumb

As someone who is in already, I have to say I wouldn’t worry too much about giving feedback. It’s not exactly set up to really tell them what you think. It’s a yes/no or strongly agree/disagree thing with very limited questions. No comment section or anything, which sucks because I have a lot of comments. Most are good, or minor things to tweak that would be nice but aren’t critical, but I would really like to give them an earful over the Sorting process.

I have identified as a Gryffindor since the beginning. I got Ravenclaw. I am NOT happy. Ravenclaw is a perfeclty nice House, but it’s not mine. My 13 year old son, who has always dressed as Harry since costumes first came out and strongly desired either Gryffindor, or as a second option Hufflepuff, got Slytherin and burst into tears. My Hufflepuff daughter got Gryffindor. The only person I know who has gotten the House they actually wanted is my middle daughter, who got Slytherin. I want what Harry gets in the books: a choice. To take what the Sorting Hat says or to choose the House in my heart.

Other people I have spoken with say it’s not big deal, not worth being upset over, but I can’t help it. I am. The problem is, this is not a new series. People have identified with and been invested in “their House” for over a decade, in their personal lives and here on Leaky and other fan sites. People have purchased innumerable, often expensive items to commemorate and celebrate that particular House. Allegiances and loyalties have been formed. Many people have developed their self-concept based on which House they identify with. And now that’s all supposed to change, or we’re not supposed to care that we get Sorted differently. I do care. My son cares. Lots of other people I know care. Some are pleasantly surprised by the Houses they got, and that’s great. But I still want that choice.

The rest of the site is fun and interesting, and some things are just frankly SO COMPLETELY COOL. It will be worth the wait to get in, I promise. But I really, really want to be back in my House. :(

Posted by Headmistress LemonFaerie on August 28, 2011, 05:58 AM report to moderator
Images_thumb

@Headmistress You have to rememeber that Sorting Hat’s questions are the only ones written by JK, so report yourself only to those. On the other hand, ask yourself if you have answered truthfully to them. Remember we take for granted the fact that we know ourselves, but life shows that we surprise ourselves with our reactions. Have you taken a good deal of time before answering? About feedback: I never take it into account too much, I said I can’t wait for the survey they mentioned; it’s a very different thing. And, by the way, if you want to tell them something, you can always enter Pottermore blog and mail them by"Contactus".

Posted by cb160 on August 28, 2011, 06:33 AM report to moderator
Images_thumb

I meant Pottermore Insider, at Contact us

Posted by cb160 on August 28, 2011, 06:37 AM report to moderator
Images_thumb

And I get it by now that you won’t get a choice unless the soft puts you into Hatstallers

Posted by cb160 on August 28, 2011, 06:39 AM report to moderator

Well, no offense, but it’s easy for someone who’s already in to say, “I wouldn’t worry about giving feedback.” I mean, you’re in, aren’t you? You’re getting to do your part in shaping the site, even if you don’t get to leave comments. Part of the excitement for me was going to be seeing how the site changes. At this rate, most changes will have been made before the majority of us “beta” users will get in. I just feel like I got my hopes up for nothing. I answered the quill question on day 2 and I’m still waiting to get in. But there are day 7 people who got in on the first go?

Posted by junkgirl190 on August 28, 2011, 10:28 AM report to moderator
Flowers1_thumb

@Headmistress,

Your family should feel lucky that they all got in together at the same time before millions of others. I find that interesting. Did you guys all register right after each other?

Sorry to hear your son is upset. I know the sorting means more to the children then it does adults. If it really bothers your son that much, delete his account. He can try again in October and answer the questions differently.

Posted by purplehogwarts on August 28, 2011, 11:40 AM report to moderator
Images_thumb

@purplehogwarts I’m waiting Errol now, being a Day 4er Beta; but I wonder, if I want to come again when it’ll be open to everyone, how can I make a new account? I mean, information required will be the same. Or that account will still be available?

Posted by cb160 on August 28, 2011, 12:09 PM report to moderator
Vanishing_cabinet_thumb

@Headmistriss

Frankly, I found most of your message irritating. Like purplehogwarts said, your whole family was given a great opportunity to explore the site together as a select few.
You all seem to be forgetting something that I had always realized as an option when word of Pottermore started. If you don’t get the house you wanted, then yea, I know you’ll be very dissapointed, as would I if I got Gryffindor or Hufflepuff or even Ravenclaw, because yes, I have purchased loads of merch for my favorite house (and the house I think I belong in) Slytherin. But really? The site is fully open in October. You can always just make another account and start over then…and take the sorting hat quiz and see if you’re luckier that time.
So just caaalllllmmmmm dowwnnn. Just enjoy the time you have now being on the site, regardless to what house you have, and wait patiently until October. I honestly just thought that all was common sense…
And, please, stop complaining…there’s soooo many people wanting to take your place right now, and majority of them couldn’t care less if they got the worst house (in their opinion), and was just happy to see the real home page.

Posted by Sara Greengrass (S Palms) on August 28, 2011, 01:20 PM report to moderator
Rofr10_thumb

cb160: Pottermore Insider said “You do not have to register for October if you already have a validated early access (Beta) account.” so it seems your beta account will continue to work once the site is open to all.

Posted by roonwit on August 28, 2011, 03:39 PM report to moderator
Images_thumb

@roonwit So it seems to me that, if you want to be again a newcomer, you’ll have to erase your Beta account. But while trying to get a new one, won’t be your personal data be retrieved by servers? We know fully well that nothing’s really erased from a computer as long as its memory is still working.

Posted by cb160 on August 28, 2011, 04:12 PM report to moderator
Rofr10_thumb

cb160: You many not need to. The main terms and conditions don’t say you are restricted to one account (unlike the Magic Quill ones). It is also possible that they reset the beta accounts to their newly registered state before the site goes live, so that beta testers don’t have an advantage.

Posted by roonwit on August 28, 2011, 04:49 PM report to moderator

"Oh, Rita hasn't written anything at all since the third task," said Hermione in an oddly constrained voice. "As a matter of fact," she added, her voice now trembling slightly, "Rita Skeeter isn't going to be writing anything at all for a while. Not unles