Pottermore Insider Answers Questions About Beta Testing and Welcome E-Mails

J.K. Rowling
Posted by: Stephanie_J
August 25, 2011, 03:35 PM

A new blog post has gone up on the Pottermore Insider following the latest batch of welcome e-mails which were sent out today.

Several frequently asked questions about the beta process are covered in this latest update as well as the timeline for receiving welcome e-mails. The Insider also denies the rumor that welcome letters will be sent out sooner to those who have been friended by other Pottermore users.

Beta phases are fluid and it’s important to watch and see how a site reacts to increasing amounts of users and activity.

Every time more people are added to Pottermore, we take a pause and look at how the site is responding to see if everything is working as we expect it to and whether we need to make changes before we let more people into Pottermore.

We are planning on giving more people early access over the next week or so and then we will pause sending Welcome emails for a while so that we can see how things are going.

Unfortunately, we can’t create a schedule to share, as we need to respond to what we learn with each group of new users. That’s also why there are gaps between the batches of Welcome emails; it all depends on what we’re learning from those who are currently on the site.

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent J.K. Rowling News

Rofr10_thumb

cb160: There are one of two videos of Jo around, but that is the only sound in either direction. You just need a keyboard and mouse, and you might be able to manage without a keyboard.

Posted by roonwit on August 26, 2011, 05:56 AM report to moderator
Images_thumb

@ Oooophfffff, I’m releaved. I use a wreck of a computer, that’s why it bothered me, was afraid it’ll spoil something along the way if I have problems using microphone

Posted by cb160 on August 26, 2011, 06:01 AM report to moderator
Images_thumb

@roonwit I mean, problems If I have to communicate myself

Posted by cb160 on August 26, 2011, 06:02 AM report to moderator
Roxicons-icon42_thumb

@Noz: The first time I heard about Pottermore, I remember I read that it was supposed to open to everyone on the 31st of october indeed (which would make sense since it would be on Halloween).
The “Congratulations” e-mail sent by Pottermore to the ones who qualified for Beta access stated that we would be granted access between the 15th of August and the 30th of september, but that does not mean that the site will open to all on the 1st of october like a lot of people seem to think. So that would mean that even if we were granted access on the 30th of september we would still be able to explore the site during a full month before it opens to everyone else.

But still… They seem to encounter server capacity issues with “only” 50 000 users online, so I wonder how they’ll be able to maintain the site at full capacity without the servers crashing all the time once the 1 million beta testers will be granted access to the website, and most of all when all the fans will be able to create accounts in october/november. Even if I doubt everyone will be online at the same time, if you take timezones into account, that will surely be crazy!

Posted by Heiwa on August 26, 2011, 07:01 AM report to moderator
12440441_thumb
19573 Points

I know everyone really wants there email and a lot of people stayed up for all night, bt I know for a fact (as I am one of them) That people who registered on day one still haven’t got an email :L haha if only 40000 people are in that’s less than half of the people who have registered on day one… as on average about 130000 registered each day, so If it is by the order you signed up.. Some people (eg Day 5) are gonna have a long wait… Even though they are probably going start to send out bigger batches of emails soon :L Haha
But good luck everyone! And I’ll see you there at somepoint :L haha

Yeah And just to add I was sure the site opened 31st Oct as well :L

Posted by R-for-H {ROAR} :D on August 26, 2011, 07:13 AM report to moderator
Rofr10_thumb

Heiwa: and R-for-H: You shouldn’t assume the site was at full computing capacity during the first week or so of testing. As the numbers were relatively small they may have been approximating the final set up by reducing the computer power proportionally. One of the things they will be trying to discover during the beta period is how much computing power they actually need (10 servers, 100, 1000 etc.), and they will be doing that by varying the number of computers they use, and watching how the site performs, also how the computing power increases as the users increase.

Incidentally they are increasing the batch sizes. Numbers sorted have gone up by over 20,000 over the past day, so the most recent batch way probably around 30,000 accounts enabled. At that rate they could finish day one in the next 2 or 3 batches.

Posted by roonwit on August 26, 2011, 07:40 AM report to moderator
Anime-halloween-witch-greetings_thumb

sighs

i’ll probably get mine, 2 days before the end of september….

Posted by Paitrix...{WBM} on August 26, 2011, 08:33 AM report to moderator
Roxicons-icon42_thumb

@Roonwit: Thanks for your imput. I don’t really know how beta testing is conducted so that’s reassuring to know that it’s not working at full capacity.

It looks like the last batch of emails was larger than the previous ones (assumption only based on the quite large number of “yay I got my pottermore welcome email!” posts I got on my tumblr dashboard yesterday). I registered on the 1st day of the magical quill challenge but I still have not gotten my welcome email but that’s not that surprising because I think I was among the last ones who were able to register on day 1.

Posted by Heiwa on August 26, 2011, 08:39 AM report to moderator
Da_thumb

can’t they hurry up? if they let more people in, they’ll get more feedback!

Posted by harrypotter4258 on August 26, 2011, 09:48 AM report to moderator
Harry_potter_and_the_deathly_hallows__part_i_58_thumb

What’s the point of having registered so early?? We might even get it towards mid-September or something…

Posted by Astha on August 26, 2011, 10:49 AM report to moderator
Harry_potter_and_the_deathly_hallows__part_i_58_thumb

And yes, I hope I get mine before the “pause”

Posted by Astha on August 26, 2011, 10:50 AM report to moderator
Roxicons-icon42_thumb

They obviously sent another batch of emails since I got mine a few seconds ago! \o/

Posted by Heiwa on August 26, 2011, 10:55 AM report to moderator
Harry-potter-23_1__thumb

i finally got my email a few days ago and i spent 3 or 4 hours straight on Pottermore and I completed the entire PS. It is incredible! The artwork is beautiful and of course, Jo’s insights and backstories are fascinating! Diagon Alley is favorite “moment” so far because I got to shop for all my things. Making potions, in my opinion, is extremely hard though. The wand choosing and sorting processes are very interesting. I got sorted into Gryffindor even though, when I take other quizzes, I usually get sorted into Hufflepuff. But Jo knows best! Thank you so much for this site!! I love it!

Posted by hplover613 on August 26, 2011, 11:07 AM report to moderator

I’m in, I’m in , I’m in!!! Brilliant! Good luck everyone!

Posted by elirin on August 26, 2011, 11:12 AM report to moderator

still nothing for me….did any of you guys that are already in get a delayed e-mail, and if yes, how long after the sent out did you receive it?

Posted by CatrinJane on August 26, 2011, 11:54 AM report to moderator

"But surely you have noticed that Potter is very like his father?"[br]"Yes, I have," said Sirius proudly.[br]"Well then, you'll know he's so arrogant that criticism simply bounces off him," Snape said sleekly.

Issue 28 - Apr. 2014