Pottermore Insider Answers Questions About Beta Testing and Welcome E-Mails

J.K. Rowling
Posted by: Stephanie_J
August 25, 2011, 03:35 PM

A new blog post has gone up on the Pottermore Insider following the latest batch of welcome e-mails which were sent out today.

Several frequently asked questions about the beta process are covered in this latest update as well as the timeline for receiving welcome e-mails. The Insider also denies the rumor that welcome letters will be sent out sooner to those who have been friended by other Pottermore users.

Beta phases are fluid and it’s important to watch and see how a site reacts to increasing amounts of users and activity.

Every time more people are added to Pottermore, we take a pause and look at how the site is responding to see if everything is working as we expect it to and whether we need to make changes before we let more people into Pottermore.

We are planning on giving more people early access over the next week or so and then we will pause sending Welcome emails for a while so that we can see how things are going.

Unfortunately, we can’t create a schedule to share, as we need to respond to what we learn with each group of new users. That’s also why there are gaps between the batches of Welcome emails; it all depends on what we’re learning from those who are currently on the site.

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent J.K. Rowling News

Flowers1_thumb

The update says there will be a survey sent out to beta users in a few weeks…will we all be in before then? Or will only those in get to answer the survey?

Posted by purplehogwarts on September 02, 2011, 07:16 PM report to moderator
Flowers1_thumb

And I wish they answered the many questions regarding the “pause!”

Posted by purplehogwarts on September 02, 2011, 07:17 PM report to moderator
Dobby_thumb

day 3er as well, and still no email…. :(

Posted by jennluvsharry on September 02, 2011, 09:01 PM report to moderator

Ahhh seems like most people on here are day 3! (like myself) I literally check my mail every 15 minutes after the updates come out….and still no luck I was hoping it would happen this week because I feel like even though they “paused” for 3 days that was just a taste of what the waiting will be like :( I dont expect any updates next week. I just hope the figure out the glitches they are finding soon. One would think that with SONY as your backing they would have estimated the servers needed and the technicalities expected! Well hopefully soon! The wait continues…….

Posted by magicneverends85 on September 03, 2011, 12:34 AM report to moderator
Leia_thumb

Me: Also, I HOPE that during their pause the PM folks give a good think to adding a “what house would you prefer” filter to avoid all the “mis-soting” tears and heartbreak.
Yosafbridge: What they DO need to do is make sure that if someone COULD be a member of two different houses (like Harry could have been Slytherin or Gryffindor) after the questions are answered a new page should come up with the two houses that they COULD be a part of and the person should get a choice …

That is precisely what I was attempting to suggest … didn’t mean to ruffle so many feathers. :D

And, back to the randomness of the emails—I registered early on day two and received my notification that evening. Yet, still no welcome owl. To say I am grossly disappointed would be an understatement. Again, I think it vastly unfair that folks from day 7 have been on the site for nearly 2 weeks, and many of us day 1 & 2 fans are left shivering in the cold!

Patience may be a virture, but I reckon I am not virtuous in that regard.

Posted by Hagiographer13 on September 03, 2011, 05:35 AM report to moderator

I’m a day 2-er. No e-mail…I was hoping the 3-day weekend would be a Pottermore weekend. (add more of the same griping here.)
I hope that survey they will be sending in a few weeks means we will all get in soon.
Make a good day everyone.

Posted by GNewt23 on September 03, 2011, 09:20 AM report to moderator
Vanishing_cabinet_thumb

@GNewt23 Yea, same here.. Hopefully they’ll start making bigger batches…

Posted by Sara Greengrass (S Palms) on September 03, 2011, 01:37 PM report to moderator
Wand_thumb

Well, October is coming up soon! Can’t wait!

Posted by #1 Witch ROAR! on September 05, 2011, 11:42 AM report to moderator

Hey y’all! There was a wave on Friday and one yesterday from what the insider posted. I know it was a holiday weekend in the states, so some might not have gotten to log in over the weekend if they were away, but I feel like the batches weren’t all that big. Anyone know what the number sorted is?

Posted by Rosalinda Rosmerta on September 06, 2011, 10:07 AM report to moderator

"We've got to get out of here," said Harry firmly. "Luna, can you help Ginny?"[br]"Yes," said Luna, sticking her wand behind her ear for safekeeping, putting an arm around Ginny's waist and pulling her up.