Pottermore Insider Answers Questions About Beta Testing and Welcome E-Mails

J.K. Rowling
Posted by: Stephanie_J
August 25, 2011, 03:35 PM

A new blog post has gone up on the Pottermore Insider following the latest batch of welcome e-mails which were sent out today.

Several frequently asked questions about the beta process are covered in this latest update as well as the timeline for receiving welcome e-mails. The Insider also denies the rumor that welcome letters will be sent out sooner to those who have been friended by other Pottermore users.

Beta phases are fluid and it’s important to watch and see how a site reacts to increasing amounts of users and activity.

Every time more people are added to Pottermore, we take a pause and look at how the site is responding to see if everything is working as we expect it to and whether we need to make changes before we let more people into Pottermore.

We are planning on giving more people early access over the next week or so and then we will pause sending Welcome emails for a while so that we can see how things are going.

Unfortunately, we can’t create a schedule to share, as we need to respond to what we learn with each group of new users. That’s also why there are gaps between the batches of Welcome emails; it all depends on what we’re learning from those who are currently on the site.

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent J.K. Rowling News

Flowers1_thumb

@S Palms, that would be a good starting point. Then what do you think they should do? Suspend them? Or remove their account?

Posted by purplehogwarts on August 30, 2011, 11:59 PM report to moderator
Moonlit_fox_pic_2_thumb

I read that cheat blog also and it makes me sick that that’s happening. I hope that the Pottermore Team does something about it.

Posted by MoonlitFox on August 31, 2011, 12:08 AM report to moderator

That cheat blog is sooo sad and upsetting! Well, in a way, i’m glad this is happening now. This is the very type of thing beta is supposed to be for. Fortunately, this gives the PM team plenty of time to figure out how to stop it before full launch.

Posted by Rosalinda Rosmerta on August 31, 2011, 01:34 AM report to moderator
Rofr10_thumb

It would actually be quite easy to stop such cheating, because they could just not count accounts with negative points in the total so you could only ever lose points you had already gained.

Posted by roonwit on August 31, 2011, 03:38 AM report to moderator
Flowers1_thumb

@roonwit – love that idea! I hope the PM team thinks of it!!

Posted by purplehogwarts on August 31, 2011, 06:50 AM report to moderator
Bluehorse_thumb

It doesn’t surprise me in the least that they’re “pausing”. I expected little breaks in between email batches from the start. I don’t understand what other people were expecting that this surprises them (though I thought they’re be a few more people in by now). I know that the team at Pottermore is doing their best to let as many people in as they can without crashing the site. I’m sad I don’t have my letter yet, but I understand (though I was hoping to get it before school starts so that I have lots of time for it). I just hope that they don’t let most of the people in just a week before it’s open to the public, because there’s barely a difference in getting the quill and not. That would be a little bit of a let down. Still – Pottermore!!! :-)

Posted by Boudica on August 31, 2011, 08:28 AM report to moderator
Images_thumb

Just being back -missed you, guys! Any owls today?

Posted by cb160 on August 31, 2011, 10:18 AM report to moderator
Images_thumb

To anyone interested: you should read a beautiful post on Rose Seer195, by Xavier. True Beta work, evaluation containing criticism done with obvious love. Worth reading it!

Posted by cb160 on August 31, 2011, 10:22 AM report to moderator
Images_thumb

I meant Rose Seer195

Posted by cb160 on August 31, 2011, 10:27 AM report to moderator
377029_1659854834071_1768172201_813069_1187891830_n_1__thumb

@cb160 welcome back, no owls yet although I doubt they’ll send them out today

Posted by mencia on August 31, 2011, 10:43 AM report to moderator
Images_thumb

@ mencia Still, I’ve seen a few excited tweets -very few, still…

Posted by cb160 on August 31, 2011, 10:55 AM report to moderator
Flowers1_thumb

@cb160 – I googled “Rose Seer195” but nothing popped up. At least not a blog. Do you have the direct link?

I really hope they still send out emails today. I also hope they let 500,000 in before they “pause” their welcome emails.

Posted by purplehogwarts on August 31, 2011, 12:28 PM report to moderator

Anyone heard of an updated numer of people sroted? :)

Posted by Rosalinda Rosmerta on August 31, 2011, 02:13 PM report to moderator

Quiet thread today! Didn’t see a bunch of excited tweets on Twitter, so I’m guessing nothing went out today. sigh Found a post this AM on Yahoo Answers that put the population at 137,000. Given that tomorrow’s Sept 1, it would be nice if an extra-large batch goes out to coincide with the start of school in the books.

Posted by MagicBclPlyr on August 31, 2011, 02:19 PM report to moderator
Rofr10_thumb

The current number sorted is 138,115.

Posted by roonwit on August 31, 2011, 02:26 PM report to moderator

"You know, I don't think purple's really my color," she said pensively, tugging at a lock of spiky hair. "D'you think it makes me look a bit peaky?"