Pottermore Insider Answers Questions About Beta Testing and Welcome E-Mails

J.K. Rowling
Posted by: Stephanie_J
August 25, 2011, 03:35 PM

A new blog post has gone up on the Pottermore Insider following the latest batch of welcome e-mails which were sent out today.

Several frequently asked questions about the beta process are covered in this latest update as well as the timeline for receiving welcome e-mails. The Insider also denies the rumor that welcome letters will be sent out sooner to those who have been friended by other Pottermore users.

Beta phases are fluid and it’s important to watch and see how a site reacts to increasing amounts of users and activity.

Every time more people are added to Pottermore, we take a pause and look at how the site is responding to see if everything is working as we expect it to and whether we need to make changes before we let more people into Pottermore.

We are planning on giving more people early access over the next week or so and then we will pause sending Welcome emails for a while so that we can see how things are going.

Unfortunately, we can’t create a schedule to share, as we need to respond to what we learn with each group of new users. That’s also why there are gaps between the batches of Welcome emails; it all depends on what we’re learning from those who are currently on the site.

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent J.K. Rowling News

Imagescaf0zk2w_thumb

finally we get some answers!!!!

Posted by #1harrypotterfan{ROAR} on August 25, 2011, 04:03 PM report to moderator
Raven_avatar_thumb

It looks like it won’t be until the last couple of weeks in Sept. that they will have let most or all in… This is as I said it would be…

Posted by Won_Two on August 25, 2011, 04:10 PM report to moderator
Hp-ramones-cover_thumb

I only hope I get my email before that ‘pause’ thing.

Posted by LinaHP on August 25, 2011, 04:12 PM report to moderator
Hp-ramones-cover_thumb

I only hope I get my email before that ‘pause’ thing.

Posted by LinaHP on August 25, 2011, 04:12 PM report to moderator
Logo150nobrain_thumb

If it’s any help, the numbers are going up – 41,828 as at 9.00 BST. I deliberately don’t stay on for long at all to prevent blocking new ticks from joining.

Posted by zonkoltd on August 25, 2011, 04:22 PM report to moderator
Halloween-crimson-witch-bnac533_thumb

Well… If I don’t get my welcome email after the pause they’re making, I might as well not have bothered with the whole Magical Quill challenge. After the “pause” it will nearly be october, so… not so “early access”, in my opinion… Anyway, at the beginnig, I was very anxious, I’m a little more relaxed now.

Posted by Halfblood Princess on August 25, 2011, 04:27 PM report to moderator

From what people have said there are less than 50,000 people in right now. They have been sending out the emails for almost 3 weeks and now they say they are also going to take a break sending email. How long is this break going to be? A day? A week? How in the world are they going to get 950,000 more people in 5 weeks? Without the break that would be 190,000 a week for the remaining 5 weeks. So with the break it would have to be more and they can’t handle the 40,000 they have right now. I have a feeling they are just going to open the flood gates on 9/30 and see how fast the site can crash.

Posted by mlc on August 25, 2011, 04:29 PM report to moderator
Halloween-crimson-witch-bnac533_thumb

I’m sorry… but I meant to say “If I don’t get my welcome email BEFORE the pause…” What was I thinking????!!!!!

Posted by Halfblood Princess on August 25, 2011, 04:33 PM report to moderator
P4093399_thumb

Honestly… enough with the “first comment” comments…

As for Pottermore, I don’t see the point of getting in during the last week of September… I mean, what more can you offer that late? I really hope I get in before the “pause”. fingers crossed

Posted by Natalia {ROAR} on August 25, 2011, 04:35 PM report to moderator
Vanishing_cabinet_thumb

The questions were helpful and I’m glad they’re aware of our concerns, but they didn’t answer the questions I wanted to hear… .___.

- Why is there no order in the welcome emails? Is there one? Does the day you got the quill have ANYTHING to do with you getting an email faster than others; AKA, just like the first-come-first-serve idea there was before?
- About how many people are getting into Pottermore in each ‘batch of emails’?
- How much time will the unlucky last batch of people get to explore the site before it’s open to all in October?
- How long are these ‘pauses’ in email distribution? Just one day? (It seems as if they give out emails, then the next day, record their progress, and then give out more emails the next day…besides the weekends when they give out none… ?? I think…? Just a guess)
- How long would you say people in other continents would have to wait after they sent out a batch to recieve them? (I mean, I know that a lot of people like me are going insane, checking their emails at least once an hour…)

Hmm, that’s all I can think of for now, sorry for the long post, but I felt like these questions needed to be lifted. :/
I should really not trust Errol with my mail anymore; this prolonged waiting is tiresome and grueling.

Posted by Sara Greengrass (S Palms) on August 25, 2011, 04:37 PM report to moderator
Vanishing_cabinet_thumb

@missmolly Your last sentance made me laugh. C:

Posted by Sara Greengrass (S Palms) on August 25, 2011, 04:41 PM report to moderator

This is just frustrating!

Posted by glow_freak on August 25, 2011, 04:41 PM report to moderator

Wow..pottermore wasn’t kidding about slowly letting people in.. I wonder how long that “pause” will be. It’s obvious that very few compared to the million have been let into the site and with only a couple more weeks before October, how do they expect to get all the million in??..especially with that “pause” they were referring to? I can’t wait for my email to arrive!! They should also announce how many welcome emails are being sent out in addition to the fact that they sent out another batch of emails.

Posted by MagicalMe^_^ on August 25, 2011, 04:50 PM report to moderator
Caffeine_thumb

Like everyone else, I’m obviously hoping to get my email before the pause, and preferably before the fall semester begins. Still, I’m trying to be understanding of the fact that this is a really big job for the people working on the site, considering the size of the project, the size of the fandom, and the very high expectations. Mostly, I’m just really excited and grateful to Rowling.

@miss molly: Yeah, the large influx of people that’s likely to occur is something I’ve been thinking about, too. I do hope they are able to fix any major problems before that happens so the site doesn’t crash. (It does seem like it’s been a bit better for the past few days than it was in the beginning…but still.)

Posted by Ani Sharmin on August 25, 2011, 04:50 PM report to moderator
Hermione_poster_thumb

Hurry Up! I want my e-mail!

Posted by silverkacy on August 25, 2011, 04:50 PM report to moderator

Ron reached inside his jacket and pulled out a fat gray rat, which was asleep. "His name's Scabbers and he's useless, he hardly ever wakes up."