Pottermore Insider Updated: Beta Access Continues, Staggered Entrance

J.K. Rowling
Posted by: Edward
August 18, 2011, 02:57 PM

The Pottermore Insider blog has been updated to mark the progress of the first few days of beta access to the Harry Potter online reading experience.  The blog post reads, in part:

At the start of this week, we sent out Welcome emails to a small number of Beta users. These people have been busy exploring the site, leaving comments to tell us when they like something, and making suggestions when they find something they would like us to improve. In just four days we’ve learned an awful lot and, as a result, have started making changes to improve the Pottermore experience.
We know that a lot of people are eager to receive their Welcome emails and that it’s difficult to wait but, as we mentioned in our earlier blog post, we’re staggering entry to Pottermore and to start with we’re only letting a small number of people onto the site.

Leaky has access to Pottermore and is updating this post with our live observations throughout the day.  A full review will be posted shortly.

If you have access to this beta version of Pottermore, please do share your thoughts in the comments below!

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent J.K. Rowling News

N1081704126_19359_1414_thumb

@SPlams – I dont’ disagree about it being a total beta process. I’m just saying I can see where they have some serious learnings to do. That’s every new site with 500K hits every 3 seconds though. I’m still smiling, at least I was able to sign up for the beta.

Posted by Runwild101 (Robby) on August 20, 2011, 03:15 PM report to moderator
Tete_ben_thumb

Maybe the number of welcome emails sent will grow as the site becomes more stable. Right now Pottermore in itself is generally stable but there are quite a few options that don’t work properly, and you get the “due to overwhelming demand we cannot… bla bla bla” page quite regularly.
@Nickan8r71
I’m really happy that you’re following me on the scottish book. While I really appreciate Pottermore and the huge amount of efforts put in the creation, the beauty of the environment and the extra info (and hey, who doesn’t need his or her potterfix, now that both books and films are over ? ^^), I’m a book lover and nothing will ever replace the feeling of a page of paper you carefully turn with your fingers, the anticipation rising before an important discovery waiting next page… And just having the object, the book in itself that you can, as you say, take and check whenever you want… That’s irreplaceable ! I’m just a tad worried that now that Pottermore is here, the encyclopedia might never be released…
I have faith in Magic though :-)

Posted by Noz on August 20, 2011, 04:29 PM report to moderator
Flowers1_thumb

@Noz, I’m worried that the encyclopedia might not be released either, but I’m mostly hopeful it’s still on Jo’s agenda. It’ll probably be delayed at least some. I just hope it won’t only be available as an e-copy. I love paper books. They give me something to read when the power goes out. :)

Posted by purplehogwarts on August 20, 2011, 04:43 PM report to moderator
Vanishing_cabinet_thumb

@Robby If I didn’t make it clear in my post, then what Noz said is exactly what I meant.

Posted by Sara Greengrass (S Palms) on August 20, 2011, 04:56 PM report to moderator
Raven_avatar_thumb

I think that the number will be held on the low side for a while longer. Once the obvious crashes, and glitches, and buggers are sorted out, they will load the Beta onto more servers and let more folks in and repeat the process… I think the final test will be the last 2 weeks or so. By then the site should be running ‘full bore’ and if there are no undue problems the Beta will be completed and deemed stable.

Posted by Won_Two on August 20, 2011, 05:40 PM report to moderator
Tete_ben_thumb

The last 2 weeks seem a bit short to test the site at “full” capacity. Because for all we know, we could go from 1 million of lucky few, to 10, 20 or 50 million fans trying to log in on the 31st of october. They need to know quite early if the site can withstand THIS crowd… :-) Pottermore has to work flawlessly with the first million (and still have extra-power – extra bandwidth – left) so that they can say “ok, let’s open the gates. Let the flood get in !!!”

Posted by Noz on August 20, 2011, 06:27 PM report to moderator
Moonlit_fox_pic_2_thumb

Still waiting for my Welcome email to come. Glad that the Pottermore blog updated, I just wish that they could tell us more in terms of when they are sending out the batches of emails.

Posted by MoonlitFox on August 20, 2011, 09:58 PM report to moderator

Still only 23,401 students in pottermore. That’s only 2% of beta testers. Don’t worry, guys, your welcome email is coming and pottermore is worth the tortuous wait :)

Posted by UpToNoGood7 on August 20, 2011, 11:25 PM report to moderator

There were no Pottermore Insider updates indicating additional welcome e-mails sent on Saturday, 20 August. Hopefully, there will be more sent and announced on Sunday, and the batch numbers will increase…a long ways to go to a million to test the beta.

Posted by Floofeather12 on August 21, 2011, 01:30 AM report to moderator
Rofr10_thumb

UpToNoGood7: That is (I assume) the number who have got as far as the sorting hat. More will not have reached that point, and there may be as many as 40,000 who have got access to the site.

Posted by roonwit on August 21, 2011, 05:21 AM report to moderator

With no Insider updates for over two days (last update, Friday at 12:30 BST, now Sunday 6:30 BST), I hope that doesn’t indicate they’re struggling to fix the glitches. Even if as many as 40,000 are in, that ‘s only 4% after a week of beta, not even an average of 1% per day. With 40 days to go, they’d need to average 24,000 people per day to reach the million. On the positive side, it means they’re likely to let in larger numbers soon to provide a true test.

Posted by Floofeather12 on August 21, 2011, 02:04 PM report to moderator
Tete_ben_thumb

I’d say it’s a sign that they don’t work on weekends…. :-)

Posted by Noz on August 21, 2011, 02:54 PM report to moderator

noz what do you mean?

Posted by the_chosen_one4 on August 21, 2011, 03:57 PM report to moderator
Tete_ben_thumb

the fact that no email was sent on saturday and sunday is, as far as I’m concerned, more a sign that the offices are closed on week’ends than a struggle to fix the glitches. There will be new sendings on monday I guess. I hope so anyway :-)

Posted by Noz on August 21, 2011, 05:05 PM report to moderator
Flowers1_thumb

@Noz, I agree with you. I’m sure the offices are closed on the weekends. Hopefully, that means they will send out an extra Welcome emails tomorrow to make up for it!

Posted by purplehogwarts on August 21, 2011, 05:31 PM report to moderator

"W-what?" Harry stammered. "But I've got to go back -- term starts on September first. It's all that's keeping me going. You don't know what it's like here. I don't [i]belong[/i] here. I belong in your world -- at Hogwarts."