Pottermore Insider Updated: Beta Access Continues, Staggered Entrance

J.K. Rowling
Posted by: Edward
August 18, 2011, 02:57 PM

The Pottermore Insider blog has been updated to mark the progress of the first few days of beta access to the Harry Potter online reading experience.  The blog post reads, in part:

At the start of this week, we sent out Welcome emails to a small number of Beta users. These people have been busy exploring the site, leaving comments to tell us when they like something, and making suggestions when they find something they would like us to improve. In just four days we’ve learned an awful lot and, as a result, have started making changes to improve the Pottermore experience.
We know that a lot of people are eager to receive their Welcome emails and that it’s difficult to wait but, as we mentioned in our earlier blog post, we’re staggering entry to Pottermore and to start with we’re only letting a small number of people onto the site.

Leaky has access to Pottermore and is updating this post with our live observations throughout the day.  A full review will be posted shortly.

If you have access to this beta version of Pottermore, please do share your thoughts in the comments below!

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent J.K. Rowling News

Hpphotoshop_thumb

@Won_Two I don’t mind not being able to be sorted by my choice. Everyone would pick Gryffindor and not many would pick Hufflepuff whereas I would like to be surprised :D

Posted by Calum Wilson (RuneDream54) on August 19, 2011, 05:10 PM report to moderator
Ohhh_thumb
2006 Points

Thanks for keeping us updated leaky!

Posted by Viccy6 {ROAR!} on August 19, 2011, 06:04 PM report to moderator
Ohhh_thumb
2006 Points

It is pretty cool that we are kind of going to be in the house that we belong, even though I am hoping for Gryffindor!

Posted by Viccy6 {ROAR!} on August 19, 2011, 06:09 PM report to moderator
Images_thumb

Tried to find out if there’s anyone in from day 4 here, seen it posted, then it disappeared…

Posted by cb160 on August 19, 2011, 06:36 PM report to moderator
Vanishing_cabinet_thumb

No offense, but if I get in gryffindor, I’m going to be a bit annoyed.. I hate stereotypes, and that fact that EVERYONE wants to get into gryffindor repulses me. I mean, a load of them just want to get in there because since the main characters are in it, they think it’s the best house, which is ludicris. I want to be in Slytherin, but I might be in Ravenclaw. I like Ravenclaw, but there’s a lot of people in there.. which isn’t really suprising, considering the type of people that like Harry Potter love the books and love reading and such.

Posted by Sara Greengrass (S Palms) on August 19, 2011, 07:04 PM report to moderator

There was a girl online that said she would kill herself if she was sorted into hufflepuff.

Posted by tim_2006 on August 19, 2011, 10:20 PM report to moderator
Vanishing_cabinet_thumb

@tim …Woah, are you serious..? Or was she just exaggerating/joking?

Posted by Sara Greengrass (S Palms) on August 19, 2011, 10:35 PM report to moderator

its only been 4 days but it feels like its been forever!!!:(
when oh when will this email come……….

Posted by NimbusDream180 on August 19, 2011, 10:38 PM report to moderator

She was just joking. But I think people are crazy for making a big deal out of which house they get into.

Posted by tim_2006 on August 19, 2011, 10:40 PM report to moderator
Vs1_thumb

Hi! I have a question for those of you already on Pottermore. I apologize if this has been posted elsewhere. I’m trying to avoid spoilers and not reading very closely. :) I’m a big believer in reading the books first and then seeing the movie although I know many people who do the reverse. My question is where does Pottermore fit into this? I have a friend who isn’t much of a reader, but found the movies difficult to follow without that extra edge. Can Pottermore stand on its own as an introduction to Harry Potter?

Posted by Mirdan on August 19, 2011, 11:42 PM report to moderator
Vanishing_cabinet_thumb

@Mirdan From what I’ve heard(I haven’t gotten on yet, I’m a Day 2er..), yes, I think so. I’m not totally positive, but from overviews like the one stated above, Pottermore tells the whole story of the Harry Potter world, with much more detail that we haven’t seen before. However, if your friend wants to know the story of Harry specifically, then I assume Pottermore wouldn’t be the greatest place to start. Just my guess.

Posted by Sara Greengrass (S Palms) on August 20, 2011, 12:24 AM report to moderator
Movies_ootp_premieries_imax_001_thumb

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh…………………..I want my invite now

Posted by Azaad Potter The Chosen One [ROAR] on August 20, 2011, 01:10 AM report to moderator
Harry_potter_seal_thumb

Can’t wait for my letter! It sounds fantastic! I hope they get the site sorted out soon though, it must be a pain to have to keep fixing it up.

Posted by Jacket on August 20, 2011, 02:13 AM report to moderator
Tete_ben_thumb

@Mirdan
I wouldn’t say that Pottermore is an introduction to Harry Potter, I’d rather place it after the reading experience (reading the books I mean). The story in itself only comes second after all the interactive stuff you’ll find on Pottermore.
Chosing your wand, being sorted, rediscovering parts of the story from another perspective, participating in Hogwarts life as a real student, and above all getting access to all the extra information written by JKR (and that we still hope to find someday in the scottish book, right fellow potterfans ? :-)) is mainly what PM is about.
You can’t read the books in Pottermore, you only get a short summary of each chapter, which serves to contextualize the exclusive content added to it. And reading the books really is the best way to enter the magical world of witchcraft and wizardry Jo created, according to me.
Pottermore reveals too much and should be experienced after having completed the series… That’s my opinion anyway :-)

Posted by Noz on August 20, 2011, 03:59 AM report to moderator
Tete_ben_thumb

@S Palms
The problem with being placed into Gryffindor is that no matter what, people will always believe that it’s for the reasons you stated. Whereas sometimes it really fits the personality of the student being sorted. I would have liked to be sorted into Ravenclaw (for personal as well as not-wanting-to-be-in-the-heroes-house reasons), but always pictured myself as a Gryffindor and that’s where I am now. When I analyse the questions I was asked, what I am and how I react to things around me, I realize that the sorting hat was quite right… At least for me :-)

Posted by Noz on August 20, 2011, 04:07 AM report to moderator

"Not at all up to your usual standard, Hermione," he said. "Only one out of three, I'm afraid. I have not been helping Sirius get into the castle and I certainly don't want Harry dead..." An odd shiver passed over his face. "But I won't deny that I am a w