Pottermore Insider Updated: Beta Access Continues, Staggered Entrance

J.K. Rowling
Posted by: Edward
August 18, 2011, 02:57 PM

The Pottermore Insider blog has been updated to mark the progress of the first few days of beta access to the Harry Potter online reading experience.  The blog post reads, in part:

At the start of this week, we sent out Welcome emails to a small number of Beta users. These people have been busy exploring the site, leaving comments to tell us when they like something, and making suggestions when they find something they would like us to improve. In just four days we’ve learned an awful lot and, as a result, have started making changes to improve the Pottermore experience.
We know that a lot of people are eager to receive their Welcome emails and that it’s difficult to wait but, as we mentioned in our earlier blog post, we’re staggering entry to Pottermore and to start with we’re only letting a small number of people onto the site.

Leaky has access to Pottermore and is updating this post with our live observations throughout the day.  A full review will be posted shortly.

If you have access to this beta version of Pottermore, please do share your thoughts in the comments below!

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent J.K. Rowling News

Vanishing_cabinet_thumb

I haven’t gotten in yet, but I’m a Day 2. I’m hoping to get an email soon. :)

Posted by Sara Greengrass (S Palms) on August 19, 2011, 12:11 AM report to moderator
Dirty_harry_thumb

I can’t WAIT to get my welcome email :)
All this waiting will be worth it.

Posted by sexysnapeyseverus on August 19, 2011, 12:26 AM report to moderator

omg!! OMG!!!
even if you have not gotten into pottermore.com,
go to pottermore.com (your in an office, you see a desk with an owl, book, the quill and other stuff) click on the “sign in to pottermore”,
(now your on Privet Drive and it daytime) “Please enter your username” enter your user name,“Please enter your password” enter your password,check “Keep me signed in” and click on the “sign in”,
(your still at Privet Drive but now it nighttime) look for the “Thestral” and click on her right eye
WOW AMAZING!!!!!

Posted by DragonBlade163 on August 19, 2011, 12:43 AM report to moderator
Scarlet_tanager_thumb

Hmmm, I keep trying not to get my hopes up. But it’s hard when everyone else talks about it all the time, I end up feeling like I’m missing out. I just have to keep telling myself… “You are magical, your letter will get here soon” and repeat that over and over in my head or outloud.

Posted by trip_le_threat on August 19, 2011, 04:21 AM report to moderator
Tete_ben_thumb

As for the “which house would like to be sorted in?” question, there are way more potential questions than just the 7 we get. Which means that 2 students participating in the sorting process at the same time won’t get the same set of questions. My boyfriend and I did the sorting at the same time but gotonly 3 identical questions out of the 7, and none of them where about the house we would like to get in.
In the end, I got the house I thought I was made for, but he didn’t. What is strange is that Gryffindor/Slytherin and Hufflepuff have quite the same amount of students whereas Ravenclaw is way more crowded.
And if you’re not sorted into Gryffindor, think about all the things you’re about to discover on the other common rooms, of which we know almost nothing about ! The JKR bits about Hufflepuff are priceless for example !

Posted by Noz on August 19, 2011, 06:11 AM report to moderator
Flowers1_thumb

@Noz

I’m glad to hear that Ravenclaw is overcrowded. That tells me that the house you are assigned to is truly what Jo thinks you belong in and not a house assigned to you to “make the numbers more even.” :)

Posted by purplehogwarts on August 19, 2011, 07:04 AM report to moderator
Flowers1_thumb

@DragonBlade

Guess I haven’t seen death because I don’t have a thestral on my page.

Posted by purplehogwarts on August 19, 2011, 07:32 AM report to moderator
Tete_ben_thumb

I guess so, because the sorting questions are really tough to answer sometimes and quite revealing about your character. It’s particularly funny to be sorted in group, as you can ask friends how they perceive you, and it’s quite far sometimes to your own perception especially for questions such as “what do you fear the most”, or “what would you like the most ? – be feared, be trusted, be liked, be imitated…” ;-)
But concerning the house numbers, the numbers are quite even (4300 for the 3 houses) except for Ravenclaw (more than 5400). I really would have liked to have a glimpse of their common room… ^^

Posted by Noz on August 19, 2011, 07:36 AM report to moderator

I think we all just need to calm down…we’ll all get in eventually, and it is FREE! And we don’t know when in October it will be open to all, do we? So just because you don’t get in until the end of September, doesn’t mean you won’t get the chance to help. And it’s perfectly logical that they are doing this in the staggered way…1) there may be specific things they want to test (such as foreign languages) and the people already given access fit those demographics. There was never a promise of first come first served. Just because they don’t tell us what their system is doesn’t mean they don’t have one. 2) Giving first access to day one quill finders and later access to Day 7 quill finders would not necessarily be fair since the first several clues were at a time that was good for Europeans and bad for those in North America for example. People have jobs, children, school…they can’t always stay up late into the night waiting for the clues. So going on the first come first served basis would be an advantage for Europeans. 3) How are they to test the improvements they are making if they don’t stagger entrance? People give feedback now, they go and make the necessary changes…then they need to test AGAIN to make sure those changes are working and that they are an improvement. So they need to bring in a new round of users to test from the beginning each time they change something. 4) Someone complained about them not anticipating the number of people…how many people do you think are usually asked to beta test a new site? The fact that 1 million is a LIMITED number shows they anticipated a HUGE fan base.
As for houses….I would guess that if you asked, about 90% of people would say they wanted to be in Gryffindor….obviously that is not possible. A lot of people are probably more thinking of where they WISH they were than where they actually belong. Jk wrote the sorting questions herself, and she kind of knows what she’s doing…I trust her. I’ve never really known where I SHOULD be so I’m really looking forward to that to find out…should the hat put me in Slytherin, I’d like to know why, but I’ll trust it. And someone mentioned Harry would have been in Slytherin…we don’t know that. Yes, the hat said Harry had many qualities of a Slytherin, but he said that because Harry was thinking so hard “NOT SLYTHERIN.” We do NOT know what that hat would have said had Harry not been thinking that…after all, the slytherin parts of Harry were mostly because of the bit of Voldemort’s soul that was in Harry….that 1/8th of a soul is going to completely overpower everything else in Harry’s own soul? Not very likely…so while it may have appeared to put Harry in the house of his choice, we don’t know that that’s necessarily true. And he only said “Not Slytherin”…he didn’t ask to be put in Gryffindor…he could have just as easily been in Hufflepuff or ravenclaw. So the hat took his preference into consideration, and it worked out GREAT for Harry, but it doesn’t garuntee you will get whatever house you asked for..Snape and Lily wanted to be together and weren’t. So that hat isn’t there to do your bidding.
Just my 2 (or 20) cents.

Posted by songbird on August 19, 2011, 07:57 AM report to moderator
Rumbleroar__by_weddersins_thumb

I got in on Day 3 and no email yet :/ Hoping to get in soon though
DragonBlade- what is the thestral meant to do if you click it’s eye anyway?

Posted by RumbleRoarrrrr on August 19, 2011, 08:00 AM report to moderator

@DragonBlade Where’s the Thestral? :|

Posted by LumosNiffler101 on August 19, 2011, 08:25 AM report to moderator
Rumbleroar__by_weddersins_thumb

@DragonBlade Yeah, There is no Thestral? Where is it on yours and what does it do when you click it’s eye?

Posted by RumbleRoarrrrr on August 19, 2011, 08:29 AM report to moderator

@Noz
I was sorted into Ravenclaw and couldn’t be happier about it! The common room and info in it are amazing, just FYI. :)

It’s interesting that you mentioned that the sorting questions differ by person. I had a feeling this was the case since it would get to easy to game the system if there were only a set number of questions. I wonder if they change randomly by person, or change as you answer each question? I would hope the latter. I too found the questions very insightful and personal, so yeah, I trust that if you answer them truthfully, you’ll be put in the house that’s correct for you, not just the one you WISH you could be in. It’s weird, I would have been fine with any house, but in the back of my mind I had two thoughts: 1) for the first time I realized that Revenclaw was probably the house for me after always siding with Harry and wanting to be in Gryff, and 2) while I wouldn’t have cried or anything if I was put in Slytherin, I did keep thinking to myself “not slytherin.” Thanks Harry! That works!

I’m also curious, since you and the people you know got different questions, did you get to choose between houses/give your house preference at the end of questioning? If so, were you ultimately put in the house you chose?

Posted by Nickan8r71 on August 19, 2011, 08:39 AM report to moderator
Halloween-crimson-witch-bnac533_thumb

DragonBlade, where is the Thestral you mention? Since I’m not yet authorized, when I sign in I get three signs which block most of the Privet Drive scene… And yes…. still NO letter…

Posted by Halfblood Princess on August 19, 2011, 11:24 AM report to moderator
Tete_ben_thumb

@Nickan8r71
That’s funny because I had almost the same way of thinking concerning the sorting. I always figured I was a Gryffindor, but in the back of my mind I thought “well, I might be a ravenclaw after all…” Ultimatly I was put in Gryff and that’s really fine since it answers certain aspects of my personality and a personal longing (and people around me confirmed that) but part of me would have wanted to discover Ravenclaw from the inside… :-) And I also kept thinking “not slytherin”. It worked too !!
As for the house preference, I did not get it, nor did my boyfriend, so it really is a matter of what you answer in the first questions. Certain answers might trigger certain questions and so on. But ultimately it’s about the choices we make, right ? ^^

Posted by Noz on August 19, 2011, 11:27 AM report to moderator

Harry looked into the shadowed eyes of Sirius Black, the only part of the sunken face that seemed alive. Harry had never met a vampire, but he had seen pictures of them in his Defense Against the Dark Arts classes, and Black, with his waxy white skin, loo