Pottermore Insider Updated: Beta Access Continues, Staggered Entrance

J.K. Rowling
Posted by: Edward
August 18, 2011, 02:57 PM

The Pottermore Insider blog has been updated to mark the progress of the first few days of beta access to the Harry Potter online reading experience.  The blog post reads, in part:

At the start of this week, we sent out Welcome emails to a small number of Beta users. These people have been busy exploring the site, leaving comments to tell us when they like something, and making suggestions when they find something they would like us to improve. In just four days we’ve learned an awful lot and, as a result, have started making changes to improve the Pottermore experience.
We know that a lot of people are eager to receive their Welcome emails and that it’s difficult to wait but, as we mentioned in our earlier blog post, we’re staggering entry to Pottermore and to start with we’re only letting a small number of people onto the site.

Leaky has access to Pottermore and is updating this post with our live observations throughout the day.  A full review will be posted shortly.

If you have access to this beta version of Pottermore, please do share your thoughts in the comments below!

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent J.K. Rowling News

Flowers1_thumb

Yeah, I have my phone set to go off when I receive an email too. I’ve never been so excited to receive junk mail before. I keep thinking, “This is it!” One of these days I’ll finally be right.

Anyone have an idea of what the numbers are of how many people are in now?

Posted by purplehogwarts on August 24, 2011, 07:21 PM report to moderator
Hufflepuff_1_thumb

I can’t wait to get my welcome email. I hope it’s soon! :o)

Posted by wallflower1971 on August 25, 2011, 01:28 AM report to moderator
Tete_ben_thumb

@purplehogwarts
33492 students (G : 7664, R : 10415, H : 7720, S : 7693). Funny how Gryffindor, Hufflepuff and Slytherin numbers always stay within the almost exact same range, whereas Ravenclaw is still way more crowded (and the gap keeps widening)… I’ve got to admit that we’re still far from the million. I hope they will open the gates more widely in the days to come…

Posted by Noz on August 25, 2011, 02:08 AM report to moderator
Flowers1_thumb

Thanks for the update, Noz. I’m sure the Pottermore team has its reasons for keeping the number still super small, I just hope they meet their deadline and get us all in soon.

Studies have shown that the more you read, the more intelligent you become. Harry Potter fans have read all the books…maybe that’s why Ravenclaw is slightly more favored?

Posted by purplehogwarts on August 25, 2011, 07:09 AM report to moderator
Rumbleroar__by_weddersins_thumb

hoping to get my email before school starts, pottermore just sounds amazing

Posted by RumbleRoarrrrr on August 25, 2011, 07:28 AM report to moderator
377029_1659854834071_1768172201_813069_1187891830_n_1__thumb

no email yet :(

Posted by mencia on August 25, 2011, 08:15 AM report to moderator

More Pottermore welcome emails on their way.

Posted by tim_2006 on August 25, 2011, 10:54 AM report to moderator

No email yet for me…but I’m glad that they sent more emails out today!! Hopefully they’ll start letting in a larger amount of people at a time once they get most of the bugs fixed.

Posted by MagicalMe^_^ on August 25, 2011, 11:03 AM report to moderator
Halloween-crimson-witch-bnac533_thumb

Still nothing! More emails were sent out yesterday and not one arrived in my inbox! I’m starting to think that if the PM team is studying specific things and deppending on that they are authorizing people, perhaps they are not interested in my opinion. I’m not located in the US nor in the UK, so maybe they just don’t care about what someone from my location thinks…

Posted by Halfblood Princess on August 25, 2011, 12:04 PM report to moderator
Images_thumb

@Halfblood Princess I also have a different location then US or UK, not even a location of English language (or any other languages PM is now available in), so I’m afraid THAT WILL MATTER IN RECEIVING the welcome message.

Posted by cb160 on August 25, 2011, 03:59 PM report to moderator
Vanishing_cabinet_thumb

@Halfblood Princess and cb160 Don’t think that! Being in a location like that would only make your chances of getting an email greater. They want people with different languages and different cultures and such so they can get mixed feedback, and a wide range of users. You’ll probably end up getting your emails before mine.. I’m just another US girl in a sea of americans waiting to get in…

Posted by Sara Greengrass (S Palms) on August 26, 2011, 02:25 AM report to moderator
Tete_ben_thumb

@Halfblood Princess and cb160
+1 with S Palms :-) I too am from a different location than US or UK, I’m french ^^
And yet, I got my email ten days ago, so I’m not sure geography matters that much. Maybe the process is completly random… Anyway I’m sure you will get yours in the days to come, and you will have the chance to arrive on a better, faster and more advanced website. :-)

Posted by Noz on August 26, 2011, 03:22 AM report to moderator
Images_thumb

@Noz French is one of the languages PM is available in now, mine language isn’t. And think I read the books in my language, and I don’t have to tell you that things get usually… slightly changed in tranlastions – they may think “keep this problem to be checked later”. But thanks for the good thought.
@ S Palms You’re not “just another US girl”, you’re one representative of the main HP consumers, so you matter. Good luck with your welcome letter!

Posted by cb160 on August 26, 2011, 05:29 AM report to moderator
Logo150nobrain_thumb

“I’m just another US girl in a sea of americans waiting to get in…”

You’ll need an induction session first, of course. The importance of tea, irony 101 and why butterbeer should be served warm…

Posted by zonkoltd on August 26, 2011, 07:50 AM report to moderator
Peregrine_falcon_thumb

I definetly wasn’t asked for my preference, and am not really happy with the outcome :(

Posted by Ellie :) *ROAR* on August 26, 2011, 05:07 PM report to moderator

"Harry, you need your strength," said Seamus Finnigan. "Seekers are always the ones who get clobbered by the other team."[br]"Thanks, Seamus," said Harry, watching Seamus pile ketchup on his sausages.