Pottermore Insider Updated: Beta Access Continues, Staggered Entrance

J.K. Rowling
Posted by: Edward
August 18, 2011, 02:57 PM

The Pottermore Insider blog has been updated to mark the progress of the first few days of beta access to the Harry Potter online reading experience.  The blog post reads, in part:

At the start of this week, we sent out Welcome emails to a small number of Beta users. These people have been busy exploring the site, leaving comments to tell us when they like something, and making suggestions when they find something they would like us to improve. In just four days we’ve learned an awful lot and, as a result, have started making changes to improve the Pottermore experience.
We know that a lot of people are eager to receive their Welcome emails and that it’s difficult to wait but, as we mentioned in our earlier blog post, we’re staggering entry to Pottermore and to start with we’re only letting a small number of people onto the site.

Leaky has access to Pottermore and is updating this post with our live observations throughout the day.  A full review will be posted shortly.

If you have access to this beta version of Pottermore, please do share your thoughts in the comments below!

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent J.K. Rowling News

@LovesLaborLost Indeed,they haven’t sent out any welcome mails yet.I think they closed the site to prepare it for more than 5000 people to join it!

@Noz Thanks for the information! :) If there are any changes please tell us.

Posted by fotisrafa on August 23, 2011, 11:20 AM report to moderator
Rofr10_thumb

The 5000 per day figure is clearly wrong – we have had 5 batches added so far (not including any today) but more than 25,000 have been sorted. You are also forgetting all those who haven’t reached the sorting stage yet – for which there could be a lot of reasons (holidays, other commitments, re-reading PS/SS in parallel with going through Pottermore etc.). I think the batches are rather bigger, perhaps as much as 10,000 per day.

Posted by roonwit on August 23, 2011, 12:17 PM report to moderator
Tete_ben_thumb

Approximatly 200 more per house as of now, august 23, 18h15 (french time). 27544 students in total. I’m sure there are more people on Pottermore than that, but trust me, once you get in the site, you have one desire… being sorted !! (that and getting your own wand)

Posted by Noz on August 23, 2011, 12:39 PM report to moderator
Logo150nobrain_thumb

Just got on at 17.10 BST – 27,543 students, roughly 6470 students each for the three junior houses, 8122 for RC (hem hem)

Somewhat of a fixation with brewing potions in the comments section.

Rather fun to keep ditching the Slytherin decor in the banquet at the very end.

Some comments asking for the next book NOW. Hardly fair until everyone is in!

Posted by zonkoltd on August 23, 2011, 12:41 PM report to moderator
Tete_ben_thumb

What surprises me is the amount of house points of some students. More than 4000 sometimes ! I wonder how they reached that number, considering how hard it is to get them (I smashed 2 cauldrons, brewing the herbicide potion… gggrrr) !

Posted by Noz on August 23, 2011, 01:08 PM report to moderator
Logo150nobrain_thumb

I was wondering about that. Perhaps they have had some pre-beta testers in residence for a while?

Posted by zonkoltd on August 23, 2011, 01:45 PM report to moderator
Rofr10_thumb

Nox: I am on and I am not dashing though the site to get sorted. I can’t be the only one to think that you will get more out of the site if you take things slowly.

Posted by roonwit on August 23, 2011, 02:13 PM report to moderator
Rumbleroar__by_weddersins_thumb

day 3er and no email yet :( am going on holiday at the end of the week so knowing my luck it’ll come then and I won’t be able to actually start :/

Posted by RumbleRoarrrrr on August 23, 2011, 02:26 PM report to moderator
Vanishing_cabinet_thumb

@roonwit You’re definitely not alone in thinking that. There’s probably still loads of people exploring everything.

I hope I get my email before school starts. :P

Posted by Sara Greengrass (S Palms) on August 23, 2011, 03:07 PM report to moderator
Moonlit_fox_pic_2_thumb

@roonwit Yeah your definitely not alone. When I get in, I plan on taking my time and going slowly as I can.

Posted by MoonlitFox on August 23, 2011, 05:29 PM report to moderator
Flowers1_thumb

Hearing few people say they want to “take it slow” so that they don’t miss anything…Can you guys not go back and replay a chapter? Or do you just not want to?

Posted by purplehogwarts on August 23, 2011, 06:06 PM report to moderator

You can replay a chapter.But it’s better if you take things slow and don’t try to buy a wand or get sorted as soon as possible.

Posted by fotisrafa on August 23, 2011, 06:37 PM report to moderator
Vanishing_cabinet_thumb

It seems like Pottermore is sending out emails every other day, besides the weekends when they don’t send any.. They should probably pick up the pace. :P ..If they can without having us newcomers crash the site, that is..

Posted by Sara Greengrass (S Palms) on August 23, 2011, 09:10 PM report to moderator

Anyone else finding Pottermore extra glitchy today? Caught the snitch and can’t get past Chapter 11 (Book 1).

Posted by harrypewterschmidt on August 23, 2011, 09:58 PM report to moderator
Tete_ben_thumb

Better for you. On the contrary, I like to have a first read through the entire book and then go back to the beginning, and explore in depth the entire universe, in the light of what I uncovered during my first read.
Now I can’t wait to be able to get in Quidditch Supplies… Yeah !

Posted by Noz on August 24, 2011, 03:12 AM report to moderator

"I didn't want anyone to talk to me," said Harry, who was feeling more and more nettled.[br]"Well, that was a bit stupid of you," said Ginny angrily, "seeing as you don't know anyone but me who's been possessed by You-Know-Who, and I can tell you how it f