Pottermore Insider Updated: Beta Access Continues, Staggered Entrance

J.K. Rowling
Posted by: Edward
August 18, 2011, 02:57 PM

The Pottermore Insider blog has been updated to mark the progress of the first few days of beta access to the Harry Potter online reading experience.  The blog post reads, in part:

At the start of this week, we sent out Welcome emails to a small number of Beta users. These people have been busy exploring the site, leaving comments to tell us when they like something, and making suggestions when they find something they would like us to improve. In just four days we’ve learned an awful lot and, as a result, have started making changes to improve the Pottermore experience.
We know that a lot of people are eager to receive their Welcome emails and that it’s difficult to wait but, as we mentioned in our earlier blog post, we’re staggering entry to Pottermore and to start with we’re only letting a small number of people onto the site.

Leaky has access to Pottermore and is updating this post with our live observations throughout the day.  A full review will be posted shortly.

If you have access to this beta version of Pottermore, please do share your thoughts in the comments below!

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent J.K. Rowling News

Halloween-crimson-witch-bnac533_thumb

tim_2006, I guess you’re the first day 5 to get access to PM!!!! At least you’re the first I’ve heard of… I’m a day 5 myself, so now I see a little light at the end of the tunnel again…

Who else has received their welcome email????

Posted by Halfblood Princess on August 22, 2011, 04:41 PM report to moderator
Halloween-crimson-witch-bnac533_thumb

Who else has received their welcome email????

Posted by Halfblood Princess on August 22, 2011, 04:42 PM report to moderator

i cant wait till i get my mail.i regstered day 2.
and i want to tell something.a lot of you complain because you think the ones that registered day 1 should be the first ones to enter the site.that’s not fair,because the most fans registered day 1.and for 3-4 weeks,only day 1 registrants would be in.and think that some people were on vacation and they didnt know anything,and now they have to wait until october,or they just registered day 7.but that doesnt mean that you are heroes and they were just waiting to solve an easy clue.
and something else.many of you cant wait until the 2nd book is unlocked.i’m sure that there is going to be something to keep us “awake” until then.an example is a house cup competition.it could take 2-4 weeks.another example is quidditch (when book 2 is unlocked and we’re waiting for the 3rd book).the triwizard tournament would be an excellent idea too (when waiting for book 5).when waiting for the seventh book we can take apparition classes.to apparate we could use complex combinations on the keyboard.when we make it we can apparate to new places of the site and explore different things.we’ll take house points when we apparate in the right way.when we get splinched we lose house points and cant duel or read a book for a while.
something else really cool to help us not get bored while we wait a new book,is do something with our trunk items.e.g. magic chess tournament.

Posted by fotisrafa on August 22, 2011, 05:46 PM report to moderator
Flowers1_thumb

@fotisrafa

I think most people are only upset because we were misled to believe that Pottermore would be available on a first come, first serve basis. It was something Jo said in her interview, though I can’t think of it at the moment. Then, those people who stayed up late into the wee hours of the morning constantly checking are told that it didn’t matter when they registered, are disappointed. Had everyone known that from the get-go, I bet we would see a lot less angry/upset/jealous/disappointed/anxious/whatever-you-want-to-call-it posts.

I got the quill on day 3 and was sure I’d have to wait. Excited that I don’t now, but I understand where the others (in particular Day 1 people) are coming from.

Posted by purplehogwarts on August 22, 2011, 06:42 PM report to moderator
Moonlit_fox_pic_2_thumb

Still no email, but oh well. Maybe mine will be in the next batch. I don’t mind the waiting at all though, I have forums and my fanfiction to keep me busy.

Posted by MoonlitFox on August 22, 2011, 07:13 PM report to moderator
Ameliaaa_thumb

When. Will. I. Get. The. Email. :’( Come Pottermore I pulled an all nighter for you :/

Posted by Like a Name in a Fairytale{ROAR} on August 22, 2011, 08:07 PM report to moderator

Does anyone know how may users are on Pottermore now?

Posted by Doxie2962 on August 22, 2011, 09:29 PM report to moderator

Does anyone know how may users are on Pottermore now?

Posted by Doxie2962 on August 22, 2011, 09:29 PM report to moderator
Tete_ben_thumb

26734 students as of today august 23, 06h36 (french time). 6287 in Gryff, 7884 in Ravenclaw, 6270 in Hufflepuff and 6293 in Slytherin. And certainly some more who are not sorted yet… :-)

Posted by Noz on August 23, 2011, 01:00 AM report to moderator
377029_1659854834071_1768172201_813069_1187891830_n_1__thumb

no email for me :(((

Posted by mencia on August 23, 2011, 05:34 AM report to moderator
Flowers1_thumb

@ Noz

Wow…that’s still a really really small number. They need to start allowing more than 5000 in each day or they’ll never back it to one million by October.

Posted by purplehogwarts on August 23, 2011, 07:26 AM report to moderator

@Noz, thank you very much. Your updates are very helpful to us who have not recieved our owls. It’s making the waiting a lot less painful

Posted by Doxie2962 on August 23, 2011, 08:39 AM report to moderator
Hermione_thumb

Pottermore is down right now. Not that I can actually get IN, but I do check every now and then just to see what the site is doing. I don’t know if that’s a good sign or a bad sign, but doesn’t look like they’ve sent out any emails today.

Posted by LovesLaborLost on August 23, 2011, 10:09 AM report to moderator
Hermione_thumb

@ Noz, wow, that is surprising. There is a Pottermore facebook page (unofficial, I’m sure) where someone said 60,000, but that’s not true I guess. Hopefully there will be a big push coming. What do you techies think could be going on?

Posted by LovesLaborLost on August 23, 2011, 10:11 AM report to moderator

@LovesLaborLost Indeed,they haven’t sent any welcome mails yet.I think that it is a good sign that it’s closed,because maybe they fix something so the site is ready for more than 5000 people to join!

Posted by fotisrafa on August 23, 2011, 11:15 AM report to moderator

"What do you see when you look in the mirror?"[br] "I? I see myself holding a pair of thick, woolen socks."