First Impressions of Pottermore Appear Online

J.K. Rowling
Posted by: Edward
August 15, 2011, 11:24 PM

A few hours ago, early beta access was opened to a select few registered members of Pottermore, J. K. Rowling's newest Harry Potter project.  A few entertainment sites have posted early reviews and first impressions of the site.  Be warned, spoilers Entertainment Weekly had this to say of the site:

First things first, for those who were worried that this would be just the skeletal frame of a game used to sell audiobooks or ebooks or plush sorting hats or whatever: it’s not. Even though the site is currently limited to material relating to the first book, Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone, there’s still more than enough to make your entire afternoon disappear like a temporus suckus spell.
EW delves further into the detail of the site, commenting on the different moments and elements included in Pottermore.  Big Shiny Robot also has a first impression review online, stepping through the first steps of the experience.  To hear their thoughts, click here to read.

A number of Leaky readers have let us know they been among those granted early access to the site. If you have, please do let us know @Leaky or in the comments below!

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent J.K. Rowling News

Halloween-crimson-witch-bnac533_thumb

@WeenyOwl: I totally agree with you… this whole fairness discussion is completely pointless!!! The PM team is not letting people in just for the fun of it, they are making studies and might be authorizing depending on what they want to check. So, finally… I’m with you on thinking that asking to enter first because you didn’t sleep the first day is a little immature and just shows the lack of understanding of the purpose of the beta PM.

Posted by Halfblood Princess on August 17, 2011, 10:45 AM report to moderator
Hermione_thumb

I would love to hear the Pottercast folk’s take on the site now that they’ve started with the beta testers! Then again, I haven’t read any of the articles or anything because I don’t want to be too spoiled. Accio Welcome email!

Posted by LovesLaborLost on August 17, 2011, 11:27 AM report to moderator
Hermione_-_poa_thumb

It’s killing me that I haven’t got in yet. Ahh well, I’m leaving in two days for Colorado with no internet, so it’ll be okay, i guess. who am I kidding? I need (key word there need) POTTERMORE NOW!

Posted by hermioneginnyluna on August 17, 2011, 11:39 AM report to moderator
Raven_avatar_thumb

So far everyone I know who has been sorted has been placed in a house they would not have personally chosen. I think this is a serious flaw in the Pottermore setup… Like the ‘real’ sorting hat in the books, one’s personal preference SHOULD have weight in the sorting process!

Posted by Won_Two on August 17, 2011, 12:42 PM report to moderator
Vanishing_cabinet_thumb

@Won_Two Yea, I assume it’s a series of questions, so they should at least ask you for one question which house you would like, and have a bigger value than the other questions. “I think I’d leave if I were in Hufflepuff” trololololol..

Posted by Sara Greengrass (S Palms) on August 17, 2011, 01:51 PM report to moderator
Flowers1_thumb

Does anyone know what some of the sorting house questions are?

Posted by purplehogwarts on August 17, 2011, 02:18 PM report to moderator
Hermione_thumb

I thought that in an interview Jo said there would be an element of choice if you didn’t want the house you were sorted to? Am I remembering that wrong?

Posted by LovesLaborLost on August 17, 2011, 03:01 PM report to moderator
38093_1525112213973_1419668696_2107419_4307673_n_thumb

hey go on pottermorepolls.webs.com its kind of like a poll thing and the site was just created. i think if a lot of people vote on the polls, it would answer alot of questions about who is getting in the beta! spread the word so we can have more accurate polls! fingers crossed for my pottermore email, but if i can actually know WHO is getting on, i wont be as freaked out!

Posted by Sohumdore on August 17, 2011, 03:49 PM report to moderator

For those who want to know about the Pottermore sorting process (@purplehogwarts), I will give you a little insight. For those who don’t, caution, SPOILERS ahead:

Fear not, because no matter what some of you have heard, there is a “choice” element to the sorting process. At least there was for me. Maybe it’s always part of it, or maybe I was just on the line between two houses so they let me say which one I’d choose. Either way, after all the questions were asked in the sorting process, the last one I was given was something along the lines of “Which house would you rather be in?” and I was given two choices: Hufflepuff or Ravenclaw. I chose Ravenclaw and in the end, was put there.
As for what the sorting process actually is, it is basically just a series of questions/choices. The way it’s visually presented is pretty cool, so I won’t give it away, but you are basically presented with certain scenarios/questions. There are sometimes more than four answers, so it’s not a simply choice of which one you think goes with which house. Although, to be honest, I think if you are really a fan of the books (and who on here isn’t?) you can tell which answers will put you in which house. Having only gone through sorting once, i can’t say this for sure, but I would bet that if you wanted to, you could manipulate your answers so that you are placed in the house you really want to be. But where’s the fun in that!!!??

Posted by Nickan8r71 on August 17, 2011, 04:33 PM report to moderator
Slytherin_girl_thumb

Pottermore is awesome. A lot of reading, which I loved, and a lot of back-story.

Posted by Gvantsa on August 17, 2011, 07:15 PM report to moderator
Flowers1_thumb

@Nickan8r71
Thanks! I’m a sucker for spoilers. Haha. Very eager for my welcome letter!!

@Sohumdore
Thanks for sharing the website – interesting!

Posted by purplehogwarts on August 17, 2011, 10:55 PM report to moderator
Vanishing_cabinet_thumb

The site is very helpful, yes, @Sohumdore. Unfortunately, it has the same problem as Pottermore -- it’s about to collapse due to the ‘overwhelming demand’. :P But, yea, there seems to be a forming trend for each poll. The weird thing, though, is that there are more day 7s getting in than any of the middle days (besides 2). Most of the people getting in are day 1s and 2s.

^ Just giving everyone an overview who hasn’t gone there yet.

Posted by Sara Greengrass (S Palms) on August 17, 2011, 11:59 PM report to moderator
Movies_ootp_premieries_imax_001_thumb

Awww those lucky devils

Posted by Azaad Potter The Chosen One [ROAR] on August 18, 2011, 08:28 AM report to moderator
Hermione_thumb

@sohumdore, how do you see the results without taking each poll? I haven’t received my welcome letter yet, so I don’t want to spoil the poll results by clicking on each one just to see the results. Am I missing something, or can you only see the results of the polls you vote on?

Posted by LovesLaborLost on August 18, 2011, 10:11 AM report to moderator
377029_1659854834071_1768172201_813069_1187891830_n_1__thumb

I’ve stopped hoping to receive mine soon, I’ll get it when it comes :)

Posted by mencia on August 18, 2011, 10:13 AM report to moderator

Issue 28 - Apr. 2014

Hermione did everything perfectly until she reached the trunk with the boggart in it. After about a minute inside it, she burst out again, screaming.[br]"Hermione!" said Lupin, startled. "What's the matter?"[br]"P -- P -- Professor McGonagall!" Hermione g