First Impressions of Pottermore Appear Online

J.K. Rowling
Posted by: Edward
August 15, 2011, 11:24 PM

A few hours ago, early beta access was opened to a select few registered members of Pottermore, J. K. Rowling's newest Harry Potter project.  A few entertainment sites have posted early reviews and first impressions of the site.  Be warned, spoilers Entertainment Weekly had this to say of the site:

First things first, for those who were worried that this would be just the skeletal frame of a game used to sell audiobooks or ebooks or plush sorting hats or whatever: it’s not. Even though the site is currently limited to material relating to the first book, Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone, there’s still more than enough to make your entire afternoon disappear like a temporus suckus spell.
EW delves further into the detail of the site, commenting on the different moments and elements included in Pottermore.  Big Shiny Robot also has a first impression review online, stepping through the first steps of the experience.  To hear their thoughts, click here to read.

A number of Leaky readers have let us know they been among those granted early access to the site. If you have, please do let us know @Leaky or in the comments below!

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent J.K. Rowling News

Can’t wait for my entrance letter!!!!!

Posted by dragonquaffle37 on August 16, 2011, 11:08 AM report to moderator
Tete_ben_thumb

I thought the registration process was based on first come first served ? You mean that you could register on, for example, the first minute of the first day, and be rejected ? I didn’t know that… I was expecting a list of people arranged according to their registration day and hour, and the sooner you got enlisted, the sooner you receive the golden mail…

Posted by Noz on August 16, 2011, 11:09 AM report to moderator
Halloween-crimson-witch-bnac533_thumb

@Noz, I don’t think that the anyone who registered was or is going to be rejected… If you registered properly, then you have your early access already granted. And the reason they are doing the authorizations randomly is perhaps because they know that just because you enter on day 7 doesn’t mean that you are less interested in getting in… a lot of people had problems on the first days and they also made a great effort trying to get in on the following days…

Posted by Halfblood Princess on August 16, 2011, 11:17 AM report to moderator
Hermione_thumb

But Noz, what I mean is that even that process was musical chairs, you see? You may have had a slower internet provider, a slower computer because you’re poor and can’t afford a faster one – there are just so many factors that played into when – or if – you were able to register at all. If you were lucky enough to get registered, then everyone was on an even playing field. Does that make sense?

Posted by LovesLaborLost on August 16, 2011, 11:31 AM report to moderator

So, I got my welcome e-mail and tried to log in, but the site is down. I HOPE I get to get in later today. :(

Posted by Coni.K on August 16, 2011, 11:33 AM report to moderator
Vanishing_cabinet_thumb

@Halfblood Princess You are completely right. And I think we should stop arguing about this because we won’t be able to entirely figure out how the order goes, unless the Pottermore Insider decides to post something. But even if we do, most likely it won’t matter considering by that time, we would’ve gotten in already. You guys are psyching yourselves out and overthinking everything. It seems to be going in order, but slowly, (with a few glitches here and there, no one’s perfect) with registration. I’m Day 2, but haven’t gotten an email yet. That may or may not be because I’m in the United States. No one knows. Don’t guess though, and start new rumors.
Also, no one has said this yet, but my take on the reviewers getting looks inside Pottermore was a way of letting the other fans know what’s going on while they’re waiting to get the chance to go in. I know it’s kept me from going crazy…Don’t think I’m not checking my email every hour..

Posted by Sara Greengrass (S Palms) on August 16, 2011, 11:34 AM report to moderator
Hermione_thumb

Sorry, maybe that doesn’t make sense. I just think that once everyone made it through the registration process – which was about as fair as the lottery – then I think if random is how they are going about it (some Insider insight on this would be excellent) is random.

Posted by LovesLaborLost on August 16, 2011, 11:36 AM report to moderator
Vanishing_cabinet_thumb

@LovesLaborLost Yes, that would be a sensible way to do it, and clearly more fair, but you have to realize the Pottermore site and team must be under a lot of stress from all of the registrants. Doing it randomly might make everything un-orginized and just make things messy. Keeping them in order would probably make it easier for them to sort out (and by that I mean figuring and letting a certain number of people in each day).

Posted by Sara Greengrass (S Palms) on August 16, 2011, 11:49 AM report to moderator
Da1a_thumb

Noz Said:
And I still think the process is a tad unfair. In my time zone I had to stay up till 4am, but I did it happily, hoping to get in according to my registration day. I just hope I’ll receive my mail today, or tomorrow…***

But so many people DID stay up just as late as you, and for whatever reason, didn’t get in, and they tried and tried again…and finally got in on a later day…some not until day 7. Don’t you think they’re thinking that they worked harder than anyone to get in, so they should get in first?

How about people who had to work during one or several of the times the questions were up, but got in at some other time…don’t THEY deserve to get in first?

How about those who don’t have internet access, and had to wait until the public library was open to get in…don’t they deserve it?

The point is…everyone feels entitled to get in first…so random is the most fair way…it just makes sense.

But yes…I’m hoping I get my invite soon! lol

Erin

Posted by Rin68nyr on August 16, 2011, 11:49 AM report to moderator
Animated_hermione_yule_ball_thumb

Too exciting for words!!!

Posted by FutureJKR (Cassia Hart) *ROAR!!* on August 16, 2011, 12:29 PM report to moderator

for everyone who has to wait a while for their welcome letter, think of it this way. You will get to see a prettier, more bug free pottermore. Ive heard some of the games are glitchy and don’t work right now. Maybe they will when we get our pottermore welcome emails, :)

Posted by sfile101 on August 16, 2011, 12:41 PM report to moderator
Hermione_thumb

Did I say “random is random”? I meant to say “random is fair”. Oh, S Palms, what else are we going to do while we wait but wonder and fret? I don’t think the speculating will end until we’re all in and the comments section is quiet as a mouse except for the occasional “OMG, this is SO awesome!”

Posted by LovesLaborLost on August 16, 2011, 12:43 PM report to moderator
Vanishing_cabinet_thumb

@sfile101 That’s exactly what I was thinking. As we speak, Pottermore is already under maintenance fixing some of their bugs and maybe even putting some of the beat tester’s suggestions into play.

And also, this whole argument is a waste of our time, I think. All we know is that we don’t know anything. Just wait for the email. In the meantime, go outside and take a walk. Get some fresh air. ;)

Posted by Sara Greengrass (S Palms) on August 16, 2011, 12:47 PM report to moderator
Ronhermione_thumb

The nargles have stolen mine!

Halloween-crimson-witch-bnac533_thumb

LOL!!!! I totally agree… we don’t know anything and here we are discussing without fundament! Relax all! Enjoy the waiting and let’s have fun!

Posted by Halfblood Princess on August 16, 2011, 01:20 PM report to moderator

As Professor Lupin went to stand next to it, the wardrobe gave a sudden wobble, banging off the wall.[br]"Nothing to worry about," said Professor Lupin calmly because a few people had jumped backward in alarm. "There's a boggart in there."